Professional Web Applications Themes

ftp settings for incremental update - Web Design

I've created a web site with Publisher2003 and dropped it onto the server via ftp, and it works. I'd like to maintain it using the incremental update feature. According to the help file I can publish to an ftp site, and set the target ftp location in the "look in" box. The trouble is I don't get an "ftp location" in the "look in" box. How do I set the location for incremental update? Thanks for any help. Todd...

  1. #1

    Default ftp settings for incremental update

    I've created a web site with Publisher2003 and dropped it
    onto the server via ftp, and it works. I'd like to
    maintain it using the incremental update feature.
    According to the help file I can publish to an ftp site,
    and set the target ftp location in the "look in" box. The
    trouble is I don't get an "ftp location" in the "look in"
    box. How do I set the location for incremental update?

    Thanks for any help. Todd
    Todd Hatfield Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ftp settings for incremental update

    I believe this feature is only available if you use Publisher to upload via
    HTTP.
    I've done it both ways, starting with FTP. Quite frankly, HTTP upload is
    simpler since you can do the incremental uploads, and it's just a couple of
    clicks to do, instead of starting your FTP client, selecting files, etc.

    "Todd Hatfield" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've created a web site with Publisher2003 and dropped it
    > onto the server via ftp, and it works. I'd like to
    > maintain it using the incremental update feature.
    > According to the help file I can publish to an ftp site,
    > and set the target ftp location in the "look in" box. The
    > trouble is I don't get an "ftp location" in the "look in"
    > box. How do I set the location for incremental update?
    >
    > Thanks for any help. Todd

    tech27 Guest

  3. #3

    thanks!

    wrote in message
    >> I've created a web site with Publisher2003 and dropped
    it
    >> onto the server via ftp, and it works. I'd like to
    >> maintain it using the incremental update feature.
    >> According to the help file I can publish to an ftp site,
    >> and set the target ftp location in the "look in" box.
    The
    >> trouble is I don't get an "ftp location" in the "look
    in"
    >> box. How do I set the location for incremental update?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help. Todd
    >

    >.

    Todd Hatfield Guest

  4. #4

    You first have to add the ftp location for it to be available for connecting and publishing. I'd recommend you read [url]http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=324[/url]
    All that is involved in using incremental uploading is to have the option turned on in web options. I believe it's on by default.
    If you monitored the publishing of files you'd notice that it's not fully operational until the 3rd or 4th publish as it takes a few uploads to build the tracking file.

    --
    David Bartosik - MSFT MVP
    for Publisher help:

    "Todd Hatfield" wrote:
    > I've created a web site with Publisher2003 and dropped it
    > onto the server via ftp, and it works. I'd like to
    > maintain it using the incremental update feature.
    > According to the help file I can publish to an ftp site,
    > and set the target ftp location in the "look in" box. The
    > trouble is I don't get an "ftp location" in the "look in"
    > box. How do I set the location for incremental update?
    >
    > Thanks for any help. Todd

    David Bartosik MSFT MVP Guest

  5. #5

    Incremental uploading is for both protocols. What happens is that Publisher writes and maintains a tracking file on the server. It will take a few uploads before the difference is really seen.