Professional Web Applications Themes

ftp with firewall and put requirement - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I am behind a firewall. I have no problems going through the firewall and connecting to my remote server. The problem comes when Dreamweaver is getting the remote folders. I need to do a put auth and put response in order for my firewall to allow remote put commands (it looks like the program is trying to do a make directory for the info). I have looked all over but I do not see a way to do this. Passive mode does not seem to work. I need to send the two commands after the ftp logs in, or disable ...

  1. #1

    Default ftp with firewall and put requirement

    I am behind a firewall. I have no problems going through the firewall
    and connecting to my remote server. The problem comes when Dreamweaver
    is getting the remote folders. I need to do a put auth and put response in
    order for my firewall to allow remote put commands (it looks like the program
    is trying to do a make directory for the info). I have looked all over but
    I do not see a way to do this. Passive mode does not seem to work. I need
    to send the two commands after the ftp logs in, or disable the folder search
    until later.

    smackmick webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ftp with firewall and put requirement

    hi!
    I am not sure I understand the ". I need to send the two commands after the ftp logs in" but make sure u have the appropriate rights on the ftp server (create folders/delete etc.)

    lebisol webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    The server is set up fine, I am using it at home with no issue. The problem is at work
    and the firewall.

    Our firewall requires an additional authentication when I put something out to
    the server. I can "get" anything I want, put if I "put". I need the authentication.
    When Dreamweaver logs in, it looks like it builds a file of the web site and then
    pulls the data across. The building of that file is considered a "put" so I must have
    the authentication complete. Thus I am in a catch22, I need the initial ftp connection,
    but I need to hold off on building the list until I can send the two commands to the
    firewall ftp server:

    quote auth <name>
    quote response <password>

    where these are the firewalls acount name and password.

    smackmick webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    hm hm....I know that ftp address can be "preset" with the username and pass:
    [url]ftp://User_Name:Passwordsite.com:port_no[/url]
    or something like that...but doesn't DW have the password setting option?
    anyway...I hope it helps

    lebisol webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    No, that is the initial ftp log in. What is needed is a scripting capability
    after the ftp establishes. What happens is that the ftp to the server
    first occurs. The next two commands (quot auth/quot respons) actually
    get intercepted by the firewall before going to the ftp server. So that is
    why I somehow need to get these two commands sandwitched between
    the first ftp command (name:passwdserver.ext) and the mkdir command
    that the program sends to establish the folder names.

    smackmick webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    Here is the ftp log. You can see that the ftp log in was successful.
    There is a change directory that worked, but the mkdir hangs.

    USER [email]meserver.org[/email]
    331-(----GATEWAY CONNECTED TO server.org----)
    331-(220-)
    331-(220-Welcome to server.org!)
    331-(220-)
    331-(220 server.org FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2(1) Thu Jan 17 14:36:05 CST 2002) ready.)
    331 Password required for me.
    PASS
    230 User me logged in.
    SYST
    215 UNIX Type: L8
    CWD /www/mydir
    250 CWD command successful.
    CWD /
    250 CWD command successful.
    MKD /www/mydir/XYIZNWSK
    500 command requires user authentication (type `quot authhelp' for help)

    smackmick webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    this log looks like u don't have the rights to mkdir
    can u use ftp program and try to mkdir with the same user/pass?

    lebisol webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    I can get in fine but the firewall is not alllowing the mkdir command. Permissions
    do not seem to be a problem, but it looks like I am toast getting through the
    work firewall.

    smackmick webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest