Professional Web Applications Themes

FTP with ISS 5.1 and NetGear Router - Windows Networking

I have somethings I would like to share and myself when away from home. I have WinXp and NetGear RP114 Router all running on my home network. Creating the Web site and ftp site IIS, I forwarded port 80 and port 21 to local IP ex. 192.168.0.9 . On both my default web site/ftp, I put in the local IP address for the site identification. I had a friend test the site with my real IP **.*.***.**, but did not work. But When I type in the local IP address on my web browser on any of the computer on ...

  1. #1

    Default FTP with ISS 5.1 and NetGear Router

    I have somethings I would like to share and myself when
    away from home. I have WinXp and NetGear RP114 Router all
    running on my home network. Creating the Web site and ftp
    site IIS, I forwarded port 80 and port 21 to local IP ex.
    192.168.0.9 . On both my default web site/ftp, I put in
    the local IP address for the site identification. I had a
    friend test the site with my real IP **.*.***.**, but did
    not work. But When I type in the local IP address on my
    web browser on any of the computer on the network at
    home, it works. So I took the router out and connected
    the computer directly to my cable modem. I put my real IP
    on the both default web site/ ftp for the site
    identification. The friend tested it and it worked. I
    connected the router back and
    left the real IP address for the site identification, but
    it did not work. I believe this is a configuration issue
    either with the router or Internet Information Services.
    Please someone who knows routers and IIS, help. Thank you
    for your consideration.

    ----------

    Rev. 2:14-17

    Franklin Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: FTP with ISS 5.1 and NetGear Router

    The router's firewall is most likely blocking the ports. You would have to
    configure it to allow this access.
    Netgear routers usually access the configuration by opening
    [url]http://192.168.0.1[/url] in a browser.

    I assume you must have a fixed IP address if you plan to access this from
    outside your network?

    Note that you could be opening up serious security risks with this. IIS
    particularly is subject to various attacks and exploits. At the least, you
    should make sure all critical updates are in place.

    GTS Computer Service
    serving northern New Jersey
    [url]www.gtscomputerservice.com[/url]

    "Franklin" <demopleyhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have somethings I would like to share with myself when
    > away from home. I have WinXp and NetGear RP114 Router all
    > running on my home network. Creating the Web site and ftp
    > site IIS, I forwarded port 80 and port 21 to local IP ex.
    > 192.168.0.9 . On both my default web site/ftp, I put in
    > the local IP address for the site identification. I had a
    > friend test the site with my real IP **.*.***.**, but did
    > not work. But When I type in the local IP address on my
    > web browser on any of the computer on the network at
    > home, it works. So I took the router out and connected
    > the computer directly to my cable modem. I put my real IP
    > on the both default web site/ ftp for the site
    > identification. The friend tested it and it worked. I
    > connected the router back and
    > left the real IP address for the site identification, but
    > it did not work. I believe this is a configuration issue
    > either with the router or Internet Information Services.
    > Please someone who knows routers and IIS, help. Thank you
    > for your consideration.
    >
    > ----------
    >
    > Rev. 2:14-17

    GTS Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:41:36 -0700, "Franklin" <demopleyhotmail.com>
    wrote:

    you won't be able to reach your FTP if your typing
    ftP//192.168.0.9/... form outside your router. 192.18.x.x numbers
    aren't visible to the net. You need to use your Net IP. The one the
    router uses..fpt://24.38.x.x/... when the router receives the request
    on port 21, it will forward the packets to your internal address,
    192.168.0.9...

    Note: Most ISP's provide dynamic addresses. They change periodically.
    So, you must know your current Net IP, or use a service such as
    [url]http://dns2go.deerfield.com[/url]

    >I have somethings I would like to share and myself when
    >away from home. I have WinXp and NetGear RP114 Router all
    >running on my home network. Creating the Web site and ftp
    >site IIS, I forwarded port 80 and port 21 to local IP ex.
    >192.168.0.9 . On both my default web site/ftp, I put in
    >the local IP address for the site identification. I had a
    >friend test the site with my real IP **.*.***.**, but did
    David
    David Guest

  5. #5

    First, Thanks for your post. I am not trying to access my
    computer away from home with a local IP. I know that won't
    work. On ISS, The Web site identification field is where
    I type in the local IP. I don't know whether to use the
    Local IP or the Real IP on that Field. But I know anyone
    trying to access the site will have to know my DNS name or
    IP.

    Franklin Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 18:31:10 -0700, "Franklin" <demopleyhotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >First, Thanks for your post. I am not trying to access my
    >computer away from home with a local IP. I know that won't
    >work. On ISS, The Web site identification field is where
    >I type in the local IP. I don't know whether to use the
    >Local IP or the Real IP on that Field. But I know anyone
    >trying to access the site will have to know my DNS name or
    >IP.

    By local and Real, do you mean the Lan address of the computer and the
    Net visible address of the router?. Either way should work. The Real
    address would just send outside the Lan and them back in.

    David
    David Guest