Professional Web Applications Themes

Fuji Film Question - Photography

Hello, I tend to use Fuji Reala 100. Can someone tell me about the 'Pro' films. How do they compare to Reala. NPZ 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film NPS 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film NPC 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film NPH 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film Also, is there a FAQ for this newsgroup? Dunk A Shane, -Bob...

  1. #1

    Default Fuji Film Question

    Hello,

    I tend to use Fuji Reala 100.

    Can someone tell me about the 'Pro' films. How do they compare to Reala.

    NPZ 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film

    NPS 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film

    NPC 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film

    NPH 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film

    Also, is there a FAQ for this newsgroup?

    Dunk A Shane,

    -Bob

    Chino Cherokee Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fuji Film Question

    The only one I used is the NPH. It's a 400 ISO film that's pretty lower
    contrast and saturation compared to the amateur films. I used this film a
    lot for portraits in available light, with a 85mm open at 1.8 most of the
    time. It is perfect for getting smooth, natural skin tones. It is pretty
    fine grained as well. It is one of the favourite films of wedding
    photographers. It used to be pretty inexpensive for a pro film (haven't
    bought any for some time now).

    However, I once finished a NPH roll shooting some landscapes and did not
    like the results at all: the results lacked... contrast and saturation (IMO
    at least). I think the Reala is more all-round, but lacks the speed for
    available light portraits.

    The NPS is close to NPH in terms of tones and contrast but is 160 ISO only.

    The NPC is 160 ISO as well but is supposed to have slightly higher contrast
    and color saturation.

    A comparison of the NPC, NPS and Reala can be found at
    [url]http://www.phototechmag.com/buying-colorflm/buying_colorflm2.htm[/url]

    The NPZ is very different: it is a 800 ISO film for press photographers.

    Photon Guest

  3. #3

    I've used NPH and NPC, I found NPH nice, but unremarkable, which can be a
    good thing, when you want accurate color. I used NPC once when shooting a
    red (and I mean RED!!) car, and found it to be saturated on the red side,
    which was why it was recommended to me. Otherwise, a nice balance, good
    blues and greens, and only a hint of magenta in the whites. Skin tones can
    be a tad on the pinkish side, too.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    [url]www.shadowcatcherimagery.com[/url]
    "Chino Cherokee" <tifosoOUTcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >

    > I tend to use Fuji Reala 100.
    >

    > Can someone tell me about the 'Pro' films. How do they compare to Reala.
    >

    > NPZ 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film
    >
    > NPS 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film
    >
    > NPC 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film
    >
    > NPH 135-36 Fujicolor Professional Color Print Film
    >

    > Also, is there a FAQ for this newsgroup?
    >

    > Dunk A Shane,
    >
    > -Bob

    Skip Middleton Guest

  4. #4

    "Photon" <photonnowhere.com> wrote:

    >The only one I used is the NPH. It's a 400 ISO film that's pretty lower
    >contrast and saturation compared to the amateur films.

    What you meant to say was that consumer films have enhanced contrast
    and colour saturation in an attempt to make cheap, unsharp consumer-
    grade zoom lenses look as if they can produce good results.

    Pro films work well with good quality lenses. Consumer films work OK
    with cheap consumer-grade zooms.

    T P Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    Chino Cherokee <net> wrote:

    There's been a lot of discussion of this film vs that other film recently.
    I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the fact that person running the
    print machine has a much larger impact on your outcome than what film
    you bought. I've taken Reala to several different labs and got wildly
    different results from every one of them. The same is true for NPH.

    In fact, I found it really strange when I read a post saying that NPH was
    unsaturated when in fact, I find it to be very saturated - especially
    green foliage.

    So, if you're currently worried about what film your shooting, you might
    also want to buy 5 rolls of any one film and have a different lab process
    and print each roll. By the time you get through all the permutations
    of different films and different labs, I'm sure you'll be sick of
    photography entirely, but at least you'll know what film is best
    processed by what lab. ;-)

    --drsmith
    drsmith Guest

  6. #6

    drsmith wrote:

    In the film (negative) developing you are very unlikley to see much
    difference from shop to shop (except for really bad shops).

    The printing is where the wild cards come out.

    Alan.

    Alan Guest