Professional Web Applications Themes

FULLTEXT Search - MySQL

I have a product catalog with info in mostly related, and some disparate tables. I want to use fulltext to create a PHP search app. I'm looking for a blueprint for doing this. Using MySQLl5/PHP5 - I need to create the index on db tables for which I do not have alter on, I do have select, and limited update (only from PHP), though I do have my own tablespace with full privs. Could I create a view in my tablespace of the columns/tables,etc. I need from the db where I have limited privs, and create the fulltext index from ...

  1. #1

    Default FULLTEXT Search

    I have a product catalog with info in mostly related, and some
    disparate tables.
    I want to use fulltext to create a PHP search app. I'm looking for a
    blueprint for doing this.

    Using MySQLl5/PHP5 - I need to create the index on db tables for which
    I do not have alter on,
    I do have select, and limited update (only from PHP), though I do have
    my own tablespace with full privs.

    Could I create a view in my tablespace of the columns/tables,etc. I
    need from the db where I have limited privs, and create the fulltext
    index from this view? Otherwise I could manually populate a special
    table in my tablespace with dumps from the ltd. db, but this would be
    more work (and requiring regular updating) than I'd like.

    Can I fulltext index several columns?

    Is it common to do fulltext indexing on a derived, view, or specially
    created for this purpose -table?

    Thanks,
    s7

    starman7@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FULLTEXT Search

    On Dec 28, 8:29 am, "com" <com>
    wrote:
    Yes

    The Guest

  3. #3

    com wrote:

    It'll only work if the table containing the text columns is of type
    MyISAM. I don't really understand why you want to use a view here though.

    Yes.

    Sometimes fulltext columns are seperated from other (InnoDB) tables and
    moved into a seperate MyISAM table, just because fulltext search is
    needed on a certain column(s).

    Peter.

    --
    http://www.phpforums.nl
    Peter Guest

  4. #4

    Peter van Schie wrote:

    > It'll only work if the table containing the text columns is of type
    > MyISAM. I don't really understand why you want to use a view here though.

    > Yes.[/ref]

    Thanks for the responses,

    > Sometimes fulltext columns are seperated from other (InnoDB) tables and
    > moved into a seperate MyISAM table, just because fulltext search is
    > needed on a certain column(s).
    >
    > Peter.[/ref]

    I suppose it boils down to: I don't have alter, update, or create
    permissions on the DB tables I need to fulltext index, though I can
    select on this DB, and I do have full perms on my own DB, how can I
    create an entity that I can fulltext index, to later search, based on a
    DB/tables I can only select on.

    I thought maybe create a view in my DB of the specific columns I need,
    from the tables in the other DB (is that even possible to do?).

    The tables I need to fulltext index are innodb ...

    is it possible for a view to be used to fulltext index on? e.g .does
    the process by which a fulltext index is created, work on a view? what
    if the columns composing the view come from innodb tables? can a view
    be created from columns where the original tables are both innodb and
    myisam?

    maybe i will just have to populate a myisam table in my DB from a query
    that has all the info/columns I need to fulltext index?

    Thanks again for any hints,
    s7

    starman7@hotmail.com Guest