Professional Web Applications Themes

Fully featured telnet client for OSX? - Mac Networking

In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-5361BC.21320503102003netnews.attbi.com>, fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote: > In article <VWpfb.670443$YN5.525916sccrnsc01>, > [email]read-the-signaturesend-spam-to-dev-null.com[/email] wrote: > > > In comp.sys.mac.apps Susan Kayser <sukayserfnal.gov> wrote: > > > Getting back to his Subject question, IS there a good telnet (or ssh) > > > client for OS X? One you can put on the Dock, instead of having to open > > > Terminal first? I'm trying MacTelnet occasionally, but the author is > > > still working on it. > > > > > > Susan K > > > > > > > > > > X11 is an excellent solution ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-5361BC.21320503102003netnews.attbi.com>,
    fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    > In article <VWpfb.670443$YN5.525916sccrnsc01>,
    > [email]read-the-signaturesend-spam-to-dev-null.com[/email] wrote:
    >
    > > In comp.sys.mac.apps Susan Kayser <sukayserfnal.gov> wrote:
    > > > Getting back to his Subject question, IS there a good telnet (or ssh)
    > > > client for OS X? One you can put on the Dock, instead of having to open
    > > > Terminal first? I'm trying MacTelnet occasionally, but the author is
    > > > still working on it.
    > > >
    > > > Susan K
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > X11 is an excellent solution to the original question (merits of telnet
    > > aside).
    > > Its hard to replace xterm with something better IMHO.
    Installing X11 just to use xterm as a telnet client is massive overkill,
    particularly for someone who doesn't want to create .term files for
    Terminal.

    KeS
    Kevin Stevens Guest

  2. #22

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?


    <read-the-signaturesend-spam-to-dev-null.com> wrote in message
    news:Ecsfb.400789
    > > I've heard it's a lot of work getting X11 installed, is that true?
    >
    > Not for OSX. If you do not have it installed already, download it from
    > here: [url]http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11[/url]. You install and use it like
    > any other OSX application. When you start it, see the X11 "Applications"
    > menu and go to "Customize". Use "Add Item" and give each command a name
    and
    > then put the xterm commands from above in the command column.
    You don't get many X apps with the apple install. If you plan to use fink
    to
    install others you'll need to also get the X development package from apple.
    Xdaliclock -cycle -builtin3 is always a great way to turn your computer
    into
    a cheap digital clock. Does anyone know if it is possible to make it (or
    other
    X apps) come up as a screen saver?

    ---
    Les Mikesell
    [email]lesmikesellcomcast.net[/email]


    Les Mikesell Guest

  3. #23

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 04:32:06 GMT, fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    >
    > I've heard it's a lot of work getting X11 installed, is that true?
    Not anymore. Go to the apple site, OS-X page, and somewhere from there
    is a link to Apple's packaging of it. I've got X11 Beta 3, based on
    XFree86 4.2.1 (it says in the "about" box, anyway). Although it's
    officially a Beta, I've had no crashes of it in the many months it's been
    installed.

    If you can't find it on the Apple site, I can see if I can find where
    I got it. I know it's on there, might be on the Developers pages
    (free registration).

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Hinz Guest

  4. #24

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:14:03 -0700, Kevin Stevens <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > Installing X11 just to use xterm as a telnet client is massive overkill,
    > particularly for someone who doesn't want to create .term files for
    > Terminal.
    Perhaps, but there are enough side-benefits and other software that
    X11 makes possible, that it's not wasted effort. Since it's a single
    install, it's worth considering.

    Dave Hinz Guest

  5. #25

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 04:32:06 GMT, fishfry wrote:

    > I've heard it's a lot of work getting X11 installed, is that true?
    You can start by pulling down the Apple Menu and selecting "Get Mac OS X
    Software". You might want to type "X11" into a search box on the first
    page that comes up. The rest should be easy.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.
    <http://www.commoncouragepress.com/index.cfm?action=book&bookid=228>
    Dave Seaman Guest

  6. #26

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <blke4m$37t$1info4.fnal.gov>, Susan Kayser
    <sukayserfnal.gov> wrote:
    > Getting back to his Subject question, IS there a good telnet (or ssh)
    > client for OS X? One you can put on the Dock, instead of having to open
    > Terminal first? I'm trying MacTelnet occasionally, but the author is
    > still working on it.
    >
    > Susan K
    Hello Susan --

    I use ssh frequently...

    My favorite for a terminal is "NiftyTelnet 1.1 SSH r3" which runs in
    classic. Bookmarks. All the keys work. Solid.

    I am pretty satisfied with Terminal, and the suggestion to create a
    Terminal Doent sounds pretty good. I put a folder of aliases to
    doents and apps in the "other" side of the doc.

    There is iTerm (see VersionTracker) which runs in OS X and it's
    beautiful. It has the nifty but usefulness-unknown feature of
    transparency of the window. I haven't decided if this is worthless or
    great. Also, this application is a little young still (ver 0.7.7) and
    I've seen some crashes.

    For tunneling ports, I just run ssh in Terminal for OS X.

    Hope this helps.

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    [email]sshearstheWorld.com[/email] -or- [email]SallyShears.org[/email]
    [url]http://theWorld.com/~sshears[/url]
    Sally Shears Guest

  7. #27

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <051020032329285716%sshearstheWorld.com>,
    Sally Shears <sshearstheWorld.com> wrote:
    > In article <blke4m$37t$1info4.fnal.gov>, Susan Kayser
    > <sukayserfnal.gov> wrote:
    >
    > > Getting back to his Subject question, IS there a good telnet (or ssh)
    > > client for OS X? One you can put on the Dock, instead of having to open
    > > Terminal first? I'm trying MacTelnet occasionally, but the author is
    > > still working on it.
    > >
    > > Susan K
    >
    > Hello Susan --
    >
    > I use ssh frequently...
    >
    > My favorite for a terminal is "NiftyTelnet 1.1 SSH r3" which runs in
    > classic. Bookmarks. All the keys work. Solid.
    >
    > I am pretty satisfied with Terminal, and the suggestion to create a
    > Terminal Doent sounds pretty good. I put a folder of aliases to
    > doents and apps in the "other" side of the doc.
    >
    > There is iTerm (see VersionTracker) which runs in OS X and it's
    > beautiful. It has the nifty but usefulness-unknown feature of
    > transparency of the window. I haven't decided if this is worthless or
    > great. Also, this application is a little young still (ver 0.7.7) and
    > I've seen some crashes.
    >
    Worthless IMO. Why on earth would one want a window full of text to be
    transparent, making it harder to read?
    fishfry Guest

  8. #28

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-5CDCF6.21481305102003netnews.attbi.com>,
    fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    > Worthless IMO. Why on earth would one want a window full of text to be
    > transparent, making it harder to read?
    Well, to keep an eye on whatever's behind it, obviously.

    --
    Jerry Kindall, Seattle, WA <http://www.jerrykindall.com/>

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  9. #29

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    > Worthless IMO. Why on earth would one want a window full of text to be
    > transparent, making it harder to read?
    I use it all the time (Terminal can do transparent windows, too). Apart
    from looking cool, you can see what's behind the window, which when you
    have lots of terminals open, is actually useful. If you get the color
    schemes right, it's not difficult to read, either. You can be typing
    in one window and watching another one right behind it. It's all about
    maximizing screen space. :)

    --
    Jeremy | [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email]
    Jeremy Guest

  10. #30

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <1065420017.535694ok-corral.gunslinger.net>,
    Jeremy <jeremyexit109.com> wrote:
    > fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Worthless IMO. Why on earth would one want a window full of text to be
    > > transparent, making it harder to read?
    >
    > I use it all the time (Terminal can do transparent windows, too). Apart
    > from looking cool, you can see what's behind the window, which when you
    > have lots of terminals open, is actually useful. If you get the color
    > schemes right, it's not difficult to read, either. You can be typing
    > in one window and watching another one right behind it. It's all about
    > maximizing screen space. :)
    Ok I'm convinced! I already use different colors. I'll try transparent
    windows then. How do you do it in Terminal? I have iTerm but I'd
    rather use Terminal if I can.
    fishfry Guest

  11. #31

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-AEC2C0.00363806102003netnews.attbi.com>,
    fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    >Ok I'm convinced! I already use different colors. I'll try transparent
    >windows then. How do you do it in Terminal?
    File->Show Info. It's in the color settings.
    Julian Lighton Guest

  12. #32

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-AEC2C0.00363806102003netnews.attbi.com>,
    fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    > In article <1065420017.535694ok-corral.gunslinger.net>,
    > Jeremy <jeremyexit109.com> wrote:
    >
    > > fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Worthless IMO. Why on earth would one want a window full of text to be
    > > > transparent, making it harder to read?
    > >
    > > I use it all the time (Terminal can do transparent windows, too). Apart
    > > from looking cool, you can see what's behind the window, which when you
    > > have lots of terminals open, is actually useful. If you get the color
    > > schemes right, it's not difficult to read, either. You can be typing
    > > in one window and watching another one right behind it. It's all about
    > > maximizing screen space. :)
    >
    > Ok I'm convinced! I already use different colors. I'll try transparent
    > windows then. How do you do it in Terminal? I have iTerm but I'd
    > rather use Terminal if I can.
    So you went from "worthless" to "convinced" in two postings? That's
    rather pitiful. Regardless, use Command-I to bring up the Terminal
    settings for an open window, select Color, there's a transparency slider
    at the bottom. I use it extensively when I'm typing commands into
    Terminal while reading a web page or other doentation behind.

    KeS
    Kevin Stevens Guest

  13. #33

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.apps.]
    On 2003-10-06, Sally Shears <sshearstheWorld.com> wrote:
    > There is iTerm (see VersionTracker) which runs in OS X and it's
    > beautiful.
    A little slower than Terminal, but nice in other ways.


    > It has the nifty but usefulness-unknown feature of
    > transparency of the window. I haven't decided if this is worthless or
    > great.
    I've never found a use for it.

    Its support for tabs, otoh, is very handy in some cirstances. This
    is the main reason I use iTerm. If Terminal.app had tabs, I doubt I'd
    bother with iTerm at all, even though it's a more general terminal
    emulator.



    Hugh Wolf Guest

  14. #34

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    Sally Shears <sshearstheWorld.com> writes:
    > There is iTerm (see VersionTracker) which runs in OS X and it's
    > beautiful. It has the nifty but usefulness-unknown feature of
    > transparency of the window. I haven't decided if this is worthless or
    You can set Terminal.app's windows to be transparent, too.

    I find it annoying and distracting. A coworker of mine
    likes it and keeps an eye on what's going on in the back.

    iTerm, OTOH, has other features which are worthwhile - like tabs.
    And good handling of colors.


    --
    Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.
    No HTML in E-Mail! -- [url]http://www.expita.com/nomime.html[/url]
    Are you posting responses that are easy for others to follow?
    [url]http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting[/url]
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  15. #35

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <p2m751-jm3.ln1pursued-with.net>,
    Kevin Stevens <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-AEC2C0.00363806102003netnews.attbi.com>,
    > fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1065420017.535694ok-corral.gunslinger.net>,
    > > Jeremy <jeremyexit109.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Worthless IMO. Why on earth would one want a window full of text to be
    > > > > transparent, making it harder to read?
    > > >
    > > > I use it all the time (Terminal can do transparent windows, too). Apart
    > > > from looking cool, you can see what's behind the window, which when you
    > > > have lots of terminals open, is actually useful. If you get the color
    > > > schemes right, it's not difficult to read, either. You can be typing
    > > > in one window and watching another one right behind it. It's all about
    > > > maximizing screen space. :)
    > >
    > > Ok I'm convinced! I already use different colors. I'll try transparent
    > > windows then. How do you do it in Terminal? I have iTerm but I'd
    > > rather use Terminal if I can.
    >
    > So you went from "worthless" to "convinced" in two postings? That's
    > rather pitiful.
    I'm extremely opinionated yet open minded at the same time. What's
    wrong with that?
    fishfry Guest

  16. #36

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <U3dgb.71830$eS5.71516twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
    Enough <enoughidontcare.com> wrote:
    >In article <051020032233169135%jerrykindallnospam.invalid> ,
    > Jerry Kindall <jerrykindallnospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <BLOCKSPAMfishfry-5CDCF6.21481305102003netnews.attbi.com>,
    >> fishfry <BLOCKSPAMfishfryyour-mailbox.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Worthless IMO. Why on earth would one want a window full of text to be
    >> > transparent, making it harder to read?
    >>
    >> Well, to keep an eye on whatever's behind it, obviously.
    >
    >Well then, why don't they provide a 'reflective' option so that you can
    >keep an eye on whatever's behind YOU? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Next rev, but it requires an iSight.


    --
    Matthew T. Russotto [email]mrussottospeakeasy.net[/email]
    "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
    a modi of security is a very expensive vice.
    Matthew Russotto Guest

  17. #37

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:17:56 GMT,
    Enough (enoughidontcare.com) wrote:
    > Well then, why don't they provide a 'reflective' option so that you can
    > keep an eye on whatever's behind YOU? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Most of us don't need to watch our backs; apparently you do.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    "The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne" -- Chaucer
    Sus - Division One Champions 2003!
    Bev A. Kupf Guest

  18. #38

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In comp.sys.mac.system Thomas Russler <trusslerpanix.com> wrote:
    > In article <blke4m$37t$1info4.fnal.gov>,
    > Susan Kayser <sukayserfnal.gov> wrote:
    >> Getting back to his Subject question, IS there a good telnet (or ssh)
    >> client for OS X? One you can put on the Dock, instead of having to open
    >> Terminal first? I'm trying MacTelnet occasionally, but the author is
    >> still working on it.
    >>
    >> Susan K
    > Here's what I do to run an ssh session from the dock:
    Greetings,

    You can also create a menu of terminal shortcuts and drop it on the
    dock over by the trashcan... works like a champ. See:

    [url]http://www.radix.net/~ewagner/termshortcut.html[/url]

    for more information. Once it is set up, all you have to do is Ctrl-click
    on the dock shortcut and you will see a list of all the .term sessions
    you define.

    --Evan
    > 1. Open a new Terminal window and configure it the way you like it.
    > 2. Save as "whatever.term" in /Users/yourself/Library/Application
    > Support/Terminal/. You may have to create the folder "Terminal" if it
    > isn't already there.
    > 3. Quit Terminal.
    > 4. Open somename.term with BBEdit or your favorite text editor. After
    > the line:
    > <key>ExecutionString</key>
    > make the next line read:
    > <string>ssh name.domain.com</string>
    > where "name.domain.com" is where you want to ssh to on a regular basis.
    > 5. Save the file and drag it to the dock.
    > 6. Now just one click in the dock and you are up and running.
    > 7. Forget you ever heard of telnet!
    > --
    > Tom Russler
    > [email]trusslerpanix.com[/email]
    Evan Wagner Guest

  19. #39

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    Susan,

    There are quite a few on The Mac Orchard's "Terminal" applications page:

    [url]http://www.macorchard.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.macorchard.com/terminal.html[/url]

    Drew

    In article <blke4m$37t$1info4.fnal.gov>,
    Susan Kayser <sukayserfnal.gov> wrote:
    > Getting back to his Subject question, IS there a good telnet (or ssh)
    > client for OS X? One you can put on the Dock, instead of having to open
    > Terminal first? I'm trying MacTelnet occasionally, but the author is
    > still working on it.
    >
    > Susan K
    >
    > fishfry wrote:
    > > I sometimes have to telnet to two or more hosts at one time. What I can
    > > do with BetterTelnet is associate colors with a particular terminal,
    > > then associate that terminal to one or more of my telnet sessions. So
    > > for example when I connect to host A, the telnet window comes up with
    > > red lettering on a white background. When I telnet to host B, the
    > > window uses blue lettering. I get an instant visual reminder of which
    > > system I'm and I'm much less likely to type the wrong command into a
    > > window.
    > >
    > > I can't do this in Terminal.app. In Terminal I can set the text color
    > > to blue or green or whatever but I have to do it by hand after I've
    > > telnetted in. And I have to do it every single time.
    > >
    > > At one point I think there was a project to port NCSA Telnet to OSX but
    > > I don't think they got it working and I can now longer find it.
    > >
    > > The problem with using BetterTelnet is that it's a Classic app, and my
    > > 10.2.6 system has a conflict between the energy saver and Classic that
    > > causes Classic apps to not be able to display any text if the system has
    > > ever been put to sleep. Apple has known about this bug for a long time
    > > but apparently it's too low priority for them to fix.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions for a replacement terminal client? Or are there clever
    > > ways to get Terminal.app to do what I want?
    --
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    The Mac Orchard - [url]http://www.macorchard.com/[/url]
    Essential Internet Applications since 1995
    Drew D. Saur Guest

  20. #40

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    In article <attbi.com>,
    fishfry <com> wrote:
     

    I don't know if it does what you want, but MindTerm is another terminal
    client (I've only used it for SSH but I presume it does Telnet too).

    --
    David Dunham A Sharp a-sharp.com
    http://www.pensee.com/dunham/
    "I say we should listen to the customers and give them what they want."
    "What they want is better products for free." --Scott Adams
    David Guest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Recommendations for SSL telnet client - vt220
    By Trent Rivers in forum Linux / Unix Administration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 13th, 03:14 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 11th, 06:03 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 13th, 06:51 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 13th, 06:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139