Professional Web Applications Themes

Fully featured telnet client for OSX? - Mac Applications & Software

I sometimes have to telnet to two or more hosts at one time. What I can do with BetterTelnet is associate colors with a particular terminal, then associate that terminal to one or more of my telnet sessions. So for example when I connect to host A, the telnet window comes up with red lettering on a white background. When I telnet to host B, the window uses blue lettering. I get an instant visual reminder of which system I'm and I'm much less likely to type the wrong command into a window. I can't do this in Terminal.app. In ...

  1. #1

    Default Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    I sometimes have to telnet to two or more hosts at one time. What I can
    do with BetterTelnet is associate colors with a particular terminal,
    then associate that terminal to one or more of my telnet sessions. So
    for example when I connect to host A, the telnet window comes up with
    red lettering on a white background. When I telnet to host B, the
    window uses blue lettering. I get an instant visual reminder of which
    system I'm and I'm much less likely to type the wrong command into a
    window.

    I can't do this in Terminal.app. In Terminal I can set the text color
    to blue or green or whatever but I have to do it by hand after I've
    telnetted in. And I have to do it every single time.

    At one point I think there was a project to port NCSA Telnet to OSX but
    I don't think they got it working and I can now longer find it.

    The problem with using BetterTelnet is that it's a Classic app, and my
    10.2.6 system has a conflict between the energy saver and Classic that
    causes Classic apps to not be able to display any text if the system has
    ever been put to sleep. Apple has known about this bug for a long time
    but apparently it's too low priority for them to fix.

    Any suggestions for a replacement terminal client? Or are there clever
    ways to get Terminal.app to do what I want?
    fishfry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fully featured telnet client for OSX?

    fishfry wrote:

    <shudder>

    telnet.

    <shudder>

    Jim
    --

    Longhaired freaky people need not apply.
    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    In article <attbi.com>,
    fishfry <com> wrote:

    Heh. I just include the line
    set prompt='%m %~: '
    in my .cshrc on all the hosts (as well as the OSX machine I connect
    from). So I get immediate visual feedback in my prompts without
    annoying color clutter.

    David Guest

  4. #4

    In article <attbi.com>,
    fishfry <com> wrote:

    ITerm, available from sourceforge.net, has pretty good AppleScript
    support. You can script it to change background and foreground colors
    based on the connected host.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  5. #5

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.apps.]
    On 2003-10-01, fishfry <com> wrote:

    Sure you can. Create a Terminal doent with 'New Command' executing
    the telnet to host X, set up the colors and everything else as you
    want them, save the doent. Launching the doent will run a
    telnet session to host X in a window with the given settings. If you
    save the doent in the default place it will show up in the
    'Library' submenu of the 'File' menu.

    I've been using color-coded windows in this way with Terminal.app
    since the 10.0 beta, though with ssh rather than telnet.

    Hugh Guest

  6. #6

    In article <attbi.com>,
    fishfry <com> wrote:

    Only because you haven't bothered to save your session in Terminal.
    Nothing "clever" about that.
    Doc Guest

  7. #7

    fishfry <com> writes:

    I hope you mean you are using ssh?

    Others have told you how to go about this. I love the menu selection for
    help in Terminal: "Terminal Help." :-) OS X's help is not the easiest to
    use (for me, anyway), but it is a heck of a lot better than the man pages.

    If I may ask a favor, please use ssh instead of telnet. It is much more
    nearly secure. My ISP will not even allow telnetting in.

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  8. #8

    In article <U6Aeb.475226$cF.160957rwcrnsc53>,
    Hugh Wolf <lieder.de> wrote:

    > Sure you can. Create a Terminal doent with 'New Command' executing
    > the telnet to host X, set up the colors and everything else as you
    > want them, save the doent. Launching the doent will run a
    > telnet session to host X in a window with the given settings. If you
    > save the doent in the default place it will show up in the
    > 'Library' submenu of the 'File' menu.
    >
    > I've been using color-coded windows in this way with Terminal.app
    > since the 10.0 beta, though with ssh rather than telnet.
    >

    >[/ref]

    Thanks much, sometimes one doesn't see the obvious things.
    fishfry Guest

  9. #9

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 05:58:46 +0000 (UTC), Jim Hill <com> wrote:
    ><shudder>
    ><shudder>[/ref]

    Hey, that's kind of a interesting effect. Everytime someone says
    "telnet",
    Jim seems to shudder.

    Is the reason for the shudder, Jim, one of aversion to command line,
    or to telnet as a connection protocol, or something else?

    Dave "Telnet" Hinz

    Dave Guest

  10. #10

    In article <blf90g$bp4g9$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    How about passwords being sent over insecure networks in cleartext?

    David Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:03:17 -0700, David Eppstein <uci.edu> wrote:

    > How about passwords being sent over insecure networks in cleartext?[/ref]

    Oh, I agree, I was just wondering what layer the shudder was induced
    by.

    Dave Guest

  12. #12

    Dave Hinz wrote:

    <twitch>

    Hey, I'm the king of the command line. It's why I was Cap'n Linux until
    OS X was released. My involuntary muscle spams come from the continuing
    use of "Here is my name, and here is my password; knock yourself out"
    telnet protocol.

    Jim

  13. #13

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:18:26 +0000 (UTC), Jim Hill <com> wrote:
    ><twitch>[/ref]

    Kewl. I can get a similar effect from one particular coworker by
    saying "FlexLM".

    > Hey, I'm the king of the command line. It's why I was Cap'n Linux until
    > OS X was released. My involuntary muscle spams come from the continuing
    > use of "Here is my name, and here is my password; knock yourself out"
    > telnet protocol.[/ref]

    Glad to hear that your objections to it are for the right reasons.

    Dave "How about rlogin, rsync, and other r-commands?" Hinz

    Dave Guest

  14. #14

    Dave Hinz wrote:

    >Kewl. I can get a similar effect from one particular coworker by
    >saying "FlexLM".[/ref]

    That's one I've not been cursed to deal with. Our sysadmins always say
    unkind things when it comes up, though.

    >> My involuntary muscle spams come from the continuing
    >> use of "Here is my name, and here is my password; knock yourself out"[/ref]
    >
    >Glad to hear that your objections to it are for the right reasons.[/ref]

    I'm a righteous dude.

    They're fine, if you're a pirate.

    Jim, matey

  15. #15

    David Eppstein <uci.edu> writes:

    Which is a big deal if you're connecting over the internet. It's a
    big nothing if you're connecting over a home LAN.

    -- David
    David Guest

  16. #16

    In article <invalid>, David C. <com>
    wrote:

    > Which is a big deal if you're connecting over the internet. It's a
    > big nothing if you're connecting over a home LAN.[/ref]

    What's particularly funny about the paranoia over telnet is that most
    people still use e-mail, news, and FTP programs that send passwords in
    cleartext. And many Web sites do, too. And a lot of people are still
    using the same password for all these things.

    The telnet hole is really only one of the things you need to plug.

    That said, you should definitely use ssh if at all possible. Even on a
    LAN, it has its advantages, such as the fact that you can configure it
    to authenticate using cryptographic keys and avoid ever having to type
    a password at all.

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
    Jerry Guest

  17. #17

    In article <invalid>, com (David C.)
    wrote:

    > Which is a big deal if you're connecting over the internet. It's a
    > big nothing if you're connecting over a home LAN.[/ref]

    Well, if your home LAN doesn't include a wireless component, and it's
    completely disconnected from the internet or you're unconcerned that
    part of it being compromised might escalate to more of it being
    compromised, then I suppose it could be ok. I'd prefer to stick to more
    secure protocols in all cirstances than to try to work out exactly
    when it's safe to use less secure ones.

    David Guest

  18. #18

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:58:40 GMT,
    David C. (com) wrote:

    > Which is a big deal if you're connecting over the internet. It's a
    > big nothing if you're connecting over a home LAN.[/ref]

    Okay, let me phrase the question differently. Do you stand to lose
    by using secure protocols on an intranet (like a home LAN)?

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Sus - Division One Champions 2003!

  19. #19

    "Dave Hinz" <net> wrote in message

    One word: INSECURITY

    ssh is a superior being...

    hC

    huchal Guest

  20. #20

    On 2003-10-02, Jerry Kindall <invalid> wrote:

    Most people don't need a password for news access and don't use ftp at
    all except anonymously. As for email (pop/imap/smtp), most people I
    know use the ssl variants.

    Not to mention tunneling and X11 forwarding.

    Telnet otoh has nothing to offer at all. There really is no good
    reason to use telnet any more.
    Hugh Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast