Professional Web Applications Themes

furniture shots, how much would you charge? - Photography

I was just asked to take 5 shots of different furnatures with some accessories in it. How much would you charge for a single shot? Also can anyone suggest equipments for this? maybe two 420ex flash and an st-e2 transmitter on the cam? please advise what i have: canon g3 420ex flash contax TL30 tripod...

  1. #1

    Default furniture shots, how much would you charge?

    I was just asked to take 5 shots of different furnatures with some
    accessories in it. How much would you charge for a single shot? Also can
    anyone suggest equipments for this? maybe two 420ex flash and an st-e2
    transmitter on the cam? please advise

    what i have:
    canon g3
    420ex flash
    contax TL30
    tripod

    graph 1 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: furniture shots, how much would you charge?

    Anytime I have done Furniture shots, it usually involved a 4x5 Camera, a lot
    of Umbrellas and a lot of Polaroid's, because the client usually wants
    the colors and textures to be very pleasing. If you have never done this
    before I suggest you take one piece of furniture at home, try and photograph
    it, to get something that looks like what you get in a flyer in the mailbox
    everyday. Then after you get something nice like that multiply the time it
    took you by about 5 times, because you will probably be going somewhere else
    with all of your equipment, setting up, taking down. And then when it is all
    done I hope you have a good custom lab who will get the color right for you.

    Every time I get asked to do a job like this I start them at about $125 per
    hour plus expenses. If they don't like that then they do not know what is
    involves and at the end of the shoot everyone will be dissatisfied. I bet
    you can count on every shot taking 1 - 1.5 hours after you are setup so I
    guess you are talking about $200 per shot plus expenses.

    I never like working for any client for whom cost is the biggest factor in
    hiring you, so go for broke.

    Good Luck

    "graph 1" <graph101_delete_comcast.net> wrote in message

    > I was just asked to take 5 shots of different furnatures with some
    > accessories in it. How much would you charge for a single shot? Also can
    > anyone suggest equipments for this? maybe two 420ex flash and an st-e2
    > transmitter on the cam? please advise
    >
    > what i have:
    > canon g3
    > 420ex flash
    > contax TL30
    > tripod

    David Robinson Guest

  3. #3

    Maybe with my experience $75-100 is enough? I still have like 500 shots to
    shoot for them on another project so i really dont wanna
    charge them at a regular professional amount. Are you still charging them
    for equipments you already have?

    In a different project, how much would you charge for a shot at an ITEM if
    it takes you 10minutes to setup? I am using a digicam so
    lab processing isn't involved. Shots i take goes directly to my laptop for
    editing and organizing.

    Thanks for the Valuable info (you'll be getting a check soon hehee)

    "David Robinson" <drobinson003sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    news:CK6Ma.1465$bD1.280838news20.bellglobal.com.. .
    > Anytime I have done Furniture shots, it usually involved a 4x5 Camera, a
    lot
    > of Umbrellas and a lot of Polaroid's, because the client usually wants
    > the colors and textures to be very pleasing. If you have never done this
    > before I suggest you take one piece of furniture at home, try and
    photograph
    > it, to get something that looks like what you get in a flyer in the
    mailbox
    > everyday. Then after you get something nice like that multiply the time it
    > took you by about 5 times, because you will probably be going somewhere
    else
    > with all of your equipment, setting up, taking down. And then when it is
    all
    > done I hope you have a good custom lab who will get the color right for
    you.

    > Every time I get asked to do a job like this I start them at about $125
    per
    > hour plus expenses. If they don't like that then they do not know what is
    > involves and at the end of the shoot everyone will be dissatisfied. I bet
    > you can count on every shot taking 1 - 1.5 hours after you are setup so I
    > guess you are talking about $200 per shot plus expenses.
    >
    > I never like working for any client for whom cost is the biggest factor in
    > hiring you, so go for broke.
    >
    > Good Luck
    >

    > "graph 1" <graph101_delete_comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I was just asked to take 5 shots of different furnatures with some
    > > accessories in it. How much would you charge for a single shot? Also can
    > > anyone suggest equipments for this? maybe two 420ex flash and an st-e2
    > > transmitter on the cam? please advise
    > >
    > > what i have:
    > > canon g3
    > > 420ex flash
    > > contax TL30
    > > tripod

    graph 1 Guest

  4. #4

    I guess you have to decide what it is you want to do, with your photography,
    nothing takes 10 minutes to setup.
    It takes the time to get there the time to get home and it is all your time
    which if you really want to do photography the only
    way it can be paid for is from the client. If you really want to just see
    yourself published somewere then put some pictures
    on the net.

    I don't know what it is about photographers and artists who value there time
    and talent so little, perhaps just because we do what
    to do our craft so bad we will do it for nothing. Would you expect to call
    the plumber and have him work for so little and say to him
    well your tools are allready paid for. I don't think so.

    My experiene in photgraphy is you probably won't make anything on the 500
    shots iether and after the first 50 it will just be work.
    If the client does not appreciate what goes into a good picture for the
    first 5 then he isn't going to learn with 500.

    I kind of have a standard line now, when clients are more concerned about
    price, I tell them to look in the yellow pages and start calling around.
    What they will find is commercail photogs who are in business, because it is
    a business, and are probably charging what you really need to to
    replace equipment, keep up with technology, run a business and eat. I do
    photgraphy as a sideline because I enjoy it, but I also charge as much or
    more
    than some of the pros. I don't want to be driving the prices down, and I
    have expensive tastes in equipment.

    I got this lesson from a client once, Molsons Breweries, they were doing a
    tent card of a glass of beer to sit on a table. He wanted one 6x7
    transparency. This was about 20 years ago so when he asked me for a price I
    said $400. I thought that would be an easy evenings work.

    He said no couldn't accept that. he was looking for an $800 shot and would
    be happy to pay that. He explained to me that he had a 20,000 budget for
    the project with printing and everything else, his boss wasn't going to
    thank him for saving $400 on the starting point and not have the best shot
    he could get. He knew better than me what was involved, frosting glasses, to
    get them just right, trying to get a head of beer to stay up just right, but
    not run over the glass, keeping fingerprints off and etting beer to glow
    from inside. I got the shot he wanted it was a lot of work, and we all went
    away happy and he came back for more. Like I said if money is why people
    choose me I don't want to be chosen. I'll just go back to work on the line
    at Ford.

    > Maybe with my experience $75-100 is enough? I still have like 500 shots to
    > shoot for them on another project so i really dont wanna
    > charge them at a regular professional amount. Are you still charging them
    > for equipments you already have?
    >
    > In a different project, how much would you charge for a shot at an ITEM if
    > it takes you 10minutes to setup? I am using a digicam so
    > lab processing isn't involved. Shots i take goes directly to my laptop for
    > editing and organizing.
    >
    > Thanks for the Valuable info (you'll be getting a check soon hehee)
    >

    > "David Robinson" <drobinson003sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > news:CK6Ma.1465$bD1.280838news20.bellglobal.com.. .
    > > Anytime I have done Furniture shots, it usually involved a 4x5 Camera, a
    > lot
    > > of Umbrellas and a lot of Polaroid's, because the client usually wants
    > > the colors and textures to be very pleasing. If you have never done this
    > > before I suggest you take one piece of furniture at home, try and
    > photograph
    > > it, to get something that looks like what you get in a flyer in the
    > mailbox
    > > everyday. Then after you get something nice like that multiply the time
    it
    > > took you by about 5 times, because you will probably be going somewhere
    > else
    > > with all of your equipment, setting up, taking down. And then when it is
    > all
    > > done I hope you have a good custom lab who will get the color right for
    > you.
    > >
    > > Every time I get asked to do a job like this I start them at about $125
    > per
    > > hour plus expenses. If they don't like that then they do not know what
    is
    > > involves and at the end of the shoot everyone will be dissatisfied. I
    bet
    > > you can count on every shot taking 1 - 1.5 hours after you are setup so
    > > guess you are talking about $200 per shot plus expenses.
    > >
    > > I never like working for any client for whom cost is the biggest factor
    in
    > > hiring you, so go for broke.
    > >
    > > Good Luck
    > >

    > > "graph 1" <graph101_delete_comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I was just asked to take 5 shots of different furnatures with some
    > > > accessories in it. How much would you charge for a single shot? Also
    can
    > > > anyone suggest equipments for this? maybe two 420ex flash and an st-e2
    > > > transmitter on the cam? please advise
    > > >
    > > > what i have:
    > > > canon g3
    > > > 420ex flash
    > > > contax TL30
    > > > tripod

    David Robinson Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for the great wisdom. I'll keep this post for sure
    ..I think i have given them something they really like
    because when i compared my work to a professionally done catalogue that they
    had, minewas a bit better. I made it as my standard and improved it a bit.
    Right now I see this as a learning experience but i will keep your advises
    in mind for sure. Not just in photography but for every other career i
    choose to pick. BTW if the client asks to pay for the equipment will they be
    the owner of it? I plan to tell them i will pay for the equipments but will
    ask for more rate. I wanna keep it thats why.

    news:pUeMa.2920$bD1.327513news20.bellglobal.com.. .

    graph 1 Guest

  6. #6

    If I might be so bold, I'd like to jump in and add a thought or two. The
    initial question was how much should you charge for "furniture shots" and my
    answer would be "the same as you charge for any other shot."

    In other words, for commerical work the hourly/day rate shouldn't change
    whether you are shooting a chair, a grapefruit or a tiger. You and only you
    know how much you need to charge per hour/day of your time based on your
    location, expenses, etc.

    The only thing that should change are your "expenses" which will include
    assisstants, misc. rentals needed just for this job, disposables used for
    this job. They should be supplying their own stylist and art director.

    Hope this helps.

    Jerry

    Guest

  7. #7

    I guess i wont tell them how much the work is until i fire test shots and
    time myself?

    <portraitsbyjerrycomcast.net> wrote in message
    > If I might be so bold, I'd like to jump in and add a thought or two. The
    > initial question was how much should you charge for "furniture shots" and
    my
    > answer would be "the same as you charge for any other shot."
    >
    > In other words, for commerical work the hourly/day rate shouldn't change
    > whether you are shooting a chair, a grapefruit or a tiger. You and only
    you
    > know how much you need to charge per hour/day of your time based on your
    > location, expenses, etc.
    >
    > The only thing that should change are your "expenses" which will include
    > assisstants, misc. rentals needed just for this job, disposables used for
    > this job. They should be supplying their own stylist and art director.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Jerry

    graph 1 Guest