Professional Web Applications Themes

future flash - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

Do any of you know what the future developments of flash may yield... specifically, do you know if it may be possible to record webcam, and do other things that would negate the need of flash media server. Also anyone have any ideas as to when flash 9 may be released?...

  1. #1

    Default future flash

    Do any of you know what the future developments of flash may yield...
    specifically, do you know if it may be possible to record webcam, and do other
    things that would negate the need of flash media server. Also anyone have any
    ideas as to when flash 9 may be released?

    jonnybennett Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: future flash

    I don't think that's going to happen for quite a while... certainly not with
    the next release of Flash or Flex.

    To allow the Flash client to replace the functionality of FMS, it means that
    the Flashplayer has to be a server, as well as a P2P client of sorts. Not only
    would that introduce piles of security and firewall issues, but it would make
    the Flashplayer far larger than it is.

    I"m quite sure there will be other server side programs that will provide
    FMS-like functionaltiy... but it's not going to happen on the client side.

    JayCharles Guest

  3. #3

    thanks for your reply. To be honest the main functionality I need is to be able
    to record webcam, however I can't afford to use a server with FCS/FMS as they
    are very expesnive, do you know of any other server side programs, that may
    allow me to record webcam? thanks again.

    jonnybennett Guest

  4. #4

    Aside from the costs of bandwidth (which would be charged by your network or
    server provider), there aren't additional costs for using FMS. You user
    capacity will be determined by the number of licenses you buy (each license is
    $4500). Depending on the licese profile you select, each licesne will allow for
    the following:

    150 connections/unlimited bandwidth
    1000 connections or 40mbps bandwidth (whichever is reached first)
    2500 connections or 25mbps.

    The license profile you select will set the same limits on each of your
    licenses (you can't mix & match profiles).

    JayCharles Guest

  5. #5

    Sorry Jay to be a pain, thanks for the reply, but I'm still confused.

    I have a dedicated server. I install FMS2 on it. I pay my dedicated server
    people as usual.

    However the license is what is confusing me... I can buy different licenses
    form FMS?
    So I can have a FMS license and spread it over say 20 sites, as long as the
    combined sites don't go over one of the three following options...
    150 connections/unlimited bandwidth
    1000 connections or 40mbps bandwidth (whichever is reached first)
    2500 connections or 25mbps.

    Is this is correct? and if so how do flash know how much bandwidth I am using
    up? Also do you know if they offer a license like my dedicated server does that
    is unlimmitted bandwidth, for up to 600GB a month?.. I should prob be asking
    them these questions...so thanks for your responses.

    jonnybennett Guest

  6. #6

    There are two kinds of licenses for FMS... but unless you're planning on a
    ninitial investement of $45k or more, you'll only be interested in the $4500
    pro license.

    Each license may be installed on a single server only. You can't install the
    same license on more than on server (actually you can... but it's a violation
    of the license terms).

    In the FMS configuration files, you define which license profile you wan the
    server to use. The profile you select is applied to all of the licenses on that
    server.

    Let's say you buy 2 licenses and install them both on the same server. If you
    set the config file to use the 100/unlimited profile, you'll have 200 available
    connections and unlimited bandwidth on that server. If you choose the 1000/40
    profile, you'll have 2000 connections or 80mbps of bandwidth (whichever is
    reached first).

    JayCharles Guest

  7. #7

    thanks Jay.