Professional Web Applications Themes

FW MX2004: speed problem - Macromedia Fireworks

Hello all, I'm testing Fireworks MX 2004 on Windows XP (Athlon XP 1600+, 768 MB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX400 64RAM). My first impression was that it is faster and more stable than previous versions. However after several minutes of working on a file (mostly vector shapes, 1 or 2 bitmaps) the program runs noticeably slower. The most annoying thing is dragging with the mouse and a key pressed, like Shift+drag or Alt+drag, when the object being dragged does not follow the mouse. It takes a split second to start moving, then its speed is growing and when I stop ...

  1. #1

    Default FW MX2004: speed problem

    Hello all,

    I'm testing Fireworks MX 2004 on Windows XP (Athlon XP 1600+, 768 MB
    RAM, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX400 64RAM). My first impression was that it is
    faster and more stable than previous versions. However after several
    minutes of working on a file (mostly vector shapes, 1 or 2 bitmaps) the
    program runs noticeably slower. The most annoying thing is dragging with
    the mouse and a key pressed, like Shift+drag or Alt+drag, when the
    object being dragged does not follow the mouse. It takes a split second
    to start moving, then its speed is growing and when I stop dragging the
    object is still moving ahead... It's exactly like sliding on ice. Simple
    drag does work OK.

    Tudor

    Tudor M. Vedeanu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FW MX2004: speed problem

    Im experiencing the same problem

    Dragging
    shift/alt+dragging
    and resizeing is extremly slow
    image does not follow the mouse
    takes a long time to resize and drag

    Very Very annoying bug of mx 2004
    hope will be solved with a patch or something

    im still using the old daddy
    FW 4

    "Tudor M. Vedeanu" <tmvedeanuspams.netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm testing Fireworks MX 2004 on Windows XP (Athlon XP 1600+, 768 MB
    > RAM, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX400 64RAM). My first impression was that it is
    > faster and more stable than previous versions. However after several
    > minutes of working on a file (mostly vector shapes, 1 or 2 bitmaps) the
    > program runs noticeably slower. The most annoying thing is dragging with
    > the mouse and a key pressed, like Shift+drag or Alt+drag, when the
    > object being dragged does not follow the mouse. It takes a split second
    > to start moving, then its speed is growing and when I stop dragging the
    > object is still moving ahead... It's exactly like sliding on ice. Simple
    > drag does work OK.
    >
    > Tudor

    Tolga Seremet Guest

  3. #3

    "Tudor M. Vedeanu" <tmvedeanuspams.netscape.net> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:bl7gp7$h6o$1forums.macromedia.com...
    However after several
    > minutes of working on a file (mostly vector shapes, 1 or 2 bitmaps) the
    > program runs noticeably slower. The most annoying thing is dragging with
    > the mouse and a key pressed, like Shift+drag or Alt+drag, when the
    > object being dragged does not follow the mouse. It takes a split second
    > to start moving, then its speed is growing and when I stop dragging the
    > object is still moving ahead... It's exactly like sliding on ice. Simple
    > drag does work OK.
    Same problem here!
    Bye

    Nik Guest

  4. #4

    The most annoying thing is dragging with
    > the mouse and a key pressed, like Shift+drag or Alt+drag, when the
    > object being dragged does not follow the mouse. It takes a split second
    > to start moving, then its speed is growing and when I stop dragging the
    > object is still moving ahead... It's exactly like sliding on ice.
    Try this:
    Select object that u want duplicate and move in your right place, then click
    Alt. + appear and on click release object will duplicate.
    Bye

    Nik Guest

  5. #5

  6. #6

    i don't think he's aksing how to duplicate items; he's having trouble dragging them.

    and so am i.

    and it's starting to seriously annoy me.

    juicysauce webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    juicysauce webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    Reminder: Each development team is trying to track down any cause of
    slower-than-expected performance, and needs details to repro... if you
    can fill out the survey linked off the Emerging Issues technote that
    could help, thanks.

    jd

    --
    John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco CA
    Search technotes: [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url]

    John Dowdell Guest

  9. #9

    i filled out the survey a couple days ago. i encourage everyone else to as well!

    [ interesting side note: ever since i posted on this forum, Fireworks hasn't been slowing down as badly as it once was. strange... ]

    juicysauce webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  10. #10

    I noticed the same issue when doing an Alt+drag copy. I started with a blank new doent and created a single rectangle vector filled solid color. Drag/copied it no problem. Copied it a couple of times and when I got quite a few (around 12) the speed issue kicked in. The objects being drag/copied were a second behind the mouse, very much like sliding on ice.

    Seems like when there are a lot of individual objects selected and Alt+drag copied, Fireworks MX 04 gets really slow. Almost like it is trying to redraw the objects as they move around and is getting bogged down. I've only got 256MB of RAM on a Pentium III 1 Ghz running Win2000 Professional, so maybe I just need more memory. But Fireworks MX doesn't have the same problem with the same number of objects.

    Could be that FWMX04 has more drawing overhead, so it needs more memory to compensate than the old FWMX does. But I regularly have to Alt+drag copy complex layers with lots of objects, so I think I'm holding off for the next patch before upgrading.

    It's really too bad, because I love the new noise and blur filters. Oh well.

    Alex

    Alex@RainBird webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest