Professional Web Applications Themes

FW Pop-up Menus - Good or Bad??? - Macromedia Fireworks

HI!! I have been reading many postings on the very hot topic of the Pop-up menus in Fireworks. It has been suggested that using Fireworks is not the greatest way of doing this. I have a 25 page site with these menus, and if I want to edit one of the menus, I have to change it on everypage and upload all 25 pages. Putting this in a DW template is not practical where I work. I have been trying to put the MM_LoadMenus code at the top of the page into an external .js file, but that's not working ...

  1. #1

    Default FW Pop-up Menus - Good or Bad???

    HI!!

    I have been reading many postings on the very hot topic of the Pop-up menus in Fireworks.

    It has been suggested that using Fireworks is not the greatest way of doing this.

    I have a 25 page site with these menus, and if I want to edit one of the menus, I have to change it on everypage and upload all 25 pages. Putting this in a DW template is not practical where I work. I have been trying to put the MM_LoadMenus code at the top of the page into an external .js file, but that's not working either.

    What is the best way to create these Pop-up menus?

    Can you give me some concrete examples as to why I shouldn't be doing them in Fireworks? I would love to be using the "right" way.

    Thanks!

    Spacenuts

    spacenuts77 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FW Pop-up Menus - Good or Bad???

    The best way to create these menus is to not use the DW/FW method at all.
    Here's why -

    The DW/FW pop-ups will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page
    using them, as well as a large dynamic write to *each* page containing the
    menus.

    You should also know that they link to your files using doent relative
    links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page in
    the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. The only way to
    solve the second problem is to make sure that your pages have alternate,
    HTML-based navigation links on them.

    I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel that it
    is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote much
    time to them.

    There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    or

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

    Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally trouble
    free -

    http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "spacenuts77" <com> wrote in message
    menus in Fireworks.
    doing this.
    menus, I have to change it on everypage and upload all 25 pages. Putting
    this in a DW template is not practical where I work. I have been trying to
    put the MM_LoadMenus code at the top of the page into an external .js file,
    but that's not working either.
    in Fireworks? I would love to be using the "right" way.

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:06:37 -0500, Murray *TMM* wrote:

    Murray, can you please explain what you mean by 'hands on' in this case?
    Is there some sort of HoT on the site that I have missed?

    --
    Groet, Adriana.
    [when replying by e-mail, remember: grootpoot is Dutch for bigfoot]

  4. #4

    In article <translatoria.com>,
    "A.Translator" <com> wrote:

    > Murray, can you please explain what you mean by 'hands on' in this case?[/ref]

    There's no easy wizard--you have to construct the menus in DW. "Hands
    dirty" might have been more descriptive than "hands on." However, the
    PVII extensions make the process much less painful than using only the
    native DW tools.

    One advantage to the FW system: it's a snap to make submenus. They are
    not possible with the free PVII tools.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  5. #5

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:23:29 -0600, Lanny Chambers wrote:

    Thank you. The term 'hands on' confused me.
    I am familiar with PVII's tut's and think they are excellent.
    Will stick to them.

  6. #6

    Lanny:

    Of course they are. In fact they are very simple to add using the free
    methods....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Lanny Chambers" <net> wrote in message

    > > Murray, can you please explain what you mean by 'hands on' in this case?[/ref]
    >
    > There's no easy wizard--you have to construct the menus in DW. "Hands
    > dirty" might have been more descriptive than "hands on." However, the
    > PVII extensions make the process much less painful than using only the
    > native DW tools.
    >
    > One advantage to the FW system: it's a snap to make submenus. They are
    > not possible with the free PVII tools.
    >
    > --
    > Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    > http://www.hummingbirds.net/[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    Lanny Chambers wrote:

    >> Murray, can you please explain what you mean by 'hands on' in this
    >> case?[/ref]
    >
    > There's no easy wizard--you have to construct the menus in DW. "Hands
    > dirty" might have been more descriptive than "hands on." However, the
    > PVII extensions make the process much less painful than using only the
    > native DW tools.
    >
    > One advantage to the FW system: it's a snap to make submenus. They are
    > not possible with the free PVII tools.[/ref]

    Except for Tree Menu Magic :-). Total automation and a re-invention of
    the Macromedia tree view UI (the one that powers the popup menu tools in
    DW and FW).

    --
    Al Sparber
    PVII

    "Designing with CSS is sometimes like barreling down a crumbling
    mountain road at 90 miles per hour secure in the knowledge that repairs
    are scheduled for next Tuesday".

    Al Guest

  8. #8

    > Of course they are. In fact they are very simple to add using the
    > free methods....[/ref]

    It does take a few minutes, but once you get the hang of them, they are
    very easy.
    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/autolayers/

    Al Guest

  9. #9

    Al:

    Yes - a beautiful example. Can I ask why you didn't use AutoHide on these
    guys?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Al Sparber- PVII" <com> wrote in message

    > > Of course they are. In fact they are very simple to add using the
    > > free methods....[/ref]
    >
    > It does take a few minutes, but once you get the hang of them, they are
    > very easy.
    > http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/autolayers/
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  10. #10

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    AutoHide was not written to orchestrate multiple sublevels. Works great
    for a single level.

    Al Guest

  11. #11

    Ahh - Thanks.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    > AutoHide was not written to orchestrate multiple sublevels. Works great
    > for a single level.
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest