Professional Web Applications Themes

Fwd: [iTunes] Where are the CDDB data stored? - Mac Applications & Software

As I had to reinstall OS X.2 completely (damn 2.8!) when I insert a Cd in iTunes now the CDDB data aren't appearing anymore. As I still have all the files of my previous installation (txs to the Previous System install), I might recover that file and substitute it with the actual one. Can anyone tell me where such file could be? txs a lot....

  1. #1

    Default Fwd: [iTunes] Where are the CDDB data stored?

    As I had to reinstall OS X.2 completely (damn 2.8!) when I insert a Cd in
    iTunes now the CDDB data aren't appearing anymore.

    As I still have all the files of my previous installation (txs to the Previous
    System install), I might recover that file and substitute it with the actual
    one.

    Can anyone tell me where such file could be?

    txs a lot.
    MatFox Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fwd: [iTunes] Where are the CDDB data stored?

    In article <1g2kprg.1mg2m861oxcv3cN%it>,
    it (MatFox) wrote:

    CCDB is an online service, not a local file.

    It's an option in iTunes' preferences that may have somehow been turned
    off. There's an option to connect to the internet automatically when
    needed, that's the one that allows the CDDB to be consulted.

    You can also choose to check "manually" (when you have a CD mounted)
    from iTunes' Advanced menu.

    Needless to say, getting CDDB info requires an internet connection.

    Kevin

    --
    http://boycott-riaa.com/
    Kevin Guest

  3. #3

    In OS 9 it was stored in a small file in the system folder, the name escapes me,
    but it was really obvious. CD remote programs possibly. Is there not a similar
    file in OS X?

    Regards, Nick.

    Nick Guest

  4. #4

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    Kevin <not> wrote:

    > CCDB is an online service, not a local file.
    >
    > It's an option in iTunes' preferences that may have somehow been turned
    > off. There's an option to connect to the internet automatically when
    > needed, that's the one that allows the CDDB to be consulted.
    >
    > You can also choose to check "manually" (when you have a CD mounted)
    > from iTunes' Advanced menu.
    >
    > Needless to say, getting CDDB info requires an internet connection.
    >
    > Kevin[/ref]

    Yes, but the OP was wondering where the data are cached locally once
    they're retrieved.

    Try ~/Library/Preferences/CD Info.cidb. Looks promising, although I
    don't know for sure.
    Gregory Guest

  5. #5

    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    Perfect, txs!
    MatFox Guest

  6. #6

    Gregory Weston <com> writes:

    Cool. I had always thought it was part of the iTunes database. This
    is actually much nicer.

    Now the big question is: has anyone made an editor for this file?
    Specfically, provided some way to remove a CD from the database?
    After ripping most of my CD collection, this file is 1.1MB, and most
    of it contains data I won't ever read again (no need to insert the CD
    if it's been ripped to the hard drive.)

    I suppose I could delete it and start from scratch, but I don't want
    to delete everything.

    -- David
    David Guest

  7. #7

    In article <invalid>, com (David C.)
    wrote:

    A quick search on Google finds this, although it's unclear if it can
    actually delete entries too:

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR - http://www.ircandy.com/doug/
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/

  8. #8

    In article <invalid>,
    com (David C.) wrote:

    >Cool. I had always thought it was part of the iTunes database. This
    >is actually much nicer.
    >
    >Now the big question is: has anyone made an editor for this file?[/ref]

    Have you tried dropping it onto a text editor (like TextEdit)? It looks
    like a structured text file from here...

    --
    Peter
    Peter Guest

  9. #9

    demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) writes:

    I pulled it into Emacs. Looks completely binary to me. Massive
    amounts of NULL characters everywhere.

    TextEdit replaces the NULLs with spaces, so it sort of looks like
    text.

    Maybe a UNICODE-compatible editor would see it as plain text.

    -- David
    David Guest

  10. #10

    In article <invalid>,
    com (David C.) wrote:

    >I pulled it into Emacs. Looks completely binary to me. Massive
    >amounts of NULL characters everywhere.[/ref]

    True- I just looked in BBEdit.

    --
    Peter
    Peter Guest