Professional Web Applications Themes

fwrite text problem - PHP Development

I need some ideas as to why this may have happened. I have a form up on a friend's web site that upon posting will fwrite the information submitted to a text file located in the same directory on the server. It was working fine. It had 255 entries on it. Then suddenly it just stopped writing any more to the file. I tried downloading the entire text file and uploading the same filename empty but that didn't help. Nothing was changed on the form nor on the processing script. It just quit writing to the text file. I know ...

  1. #1

    Default fwrite text problem

    I need some ideas as to why this may have happened. I have a form up on
    a friend's web site that upon posting will fwrite the information
    submitted to a text file located in the same directory on the server.

    It was working fine. It had 255 entries on it. Then suddenly it just
    stopped writing any more to the file. I tried downloading the entire
    text file and uploading the same filename empty but that didn't help.

    Nothing was changed on the form nor on the processing script. It just
    quit writing to the text file. I know for a fact it did because the
    processing form also sends copies of the entries to an email address.
    The entries are still being received there even though they aren't being
    written to the text anymore.

    Anyone have any ideas on where I start tracking this down? Thanks.

    JDJones Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: fwrite text problem

    "JDJones" <seebelowsprynet.com> wrote in message
    news:6_Ncb.151712$mp.78419rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.n et...
    > I need some ideas as to why this may have happened. I have a form up on
    > a friend's web site that upon posting will fwrite the information
    > submitted to a text file located in the same directory on the server.
    >
    > It was working fine. It had 255 entries on it. Then suddenly it just
    > stopped writing any more to the file. I tried downloading the entire
    > text file and uploading the same filename empty but that didn't help.
    >
    > Nothing was changed on the form nor on the processing script. It just
    > quit writing to the text file. I know for a fact it did because the
    > processing form also sends copies of the entries to an email address.
    > The entries are still being received there even though they aren't being
    > written to the text anymore.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas on where I start tracking this down? Thanks.

    Have you checked your error log file? Has the text file changed its
    ownership/group? Check the timestamp on the file...

    Randell D. Guest

  3. #3

    JDJones <seebelowsprynet.com> wrote in message
    news:<6_Ncb.151712$mp.78419rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att. net>...

    > I have a form up on a friend's web site that upon posting will
    > fwrite the information submitted to a text file located in the
    > same directory on the server.
    >
    > It was working fine. It had 255 entries on it. Then suddenly it just
    > stopped writing any more to the file. I tried downloading the entire
    > text file and uploading the same filename empty but that didn't help.
    Check permissions on the text file.

    Cheers,
    NC
    Nikolai Chuvakhin Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: fwrite text problem - UPDATE

    Nikolai Chuvakhin wrote:
    > JDJones <seebelowsprynet.com> wrote in message
    > news:<6_Ncb.151712$mp.78419rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att. net>...
    >
    >>I have a form up on a friend's web site that upon posting will
    >>fwrite the information submitted to a text file located in the
    >>same directory on the server.
    >>
    >>It was working fine. It had 255 entries on it. Then suddenly it just
    >>stopped writing any more to the file. I tried downloading the entire
    >>text file and uploading the same filename empty but that didn't help.
    >

    > Check permissions on the text file.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > NC
    Just wanted to update everyone. The problem was found. The server ran
    out of space for her site. She kept getting a "552 Transfer Aborted -
    Disc Quota Exceeded" message when she tried to upload but didn't know
    that it would effect other things already uploaded.

    Thank you for your suggestions and input.

    JDJones Guest