Professional Web Applications Themes

G2 problem - Photography

It sounds like something is wrong with your G2. With flash on or available in dim light, the shutter speed won't go slower than 1/60, at least in the modes I've tried. "William D. Tallman" <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote in message news:vh6p78mfse4hd9corp.supernews.com... > This thing has been such a fine camera for everything I've asked it to do, > but it let me down a few days ago, and I haven't a clue as to what was > happening. > > The only problem with the G2 is the same as almost all digitals: shutter > delay. Half press has always solved ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: G2 problem

    It sounds like something is wrong with your G2. With flash on or available
    in dim light, the shutter speed won't go slower than 1/60, at least in the
    modes I've tried.

    "William D. Tallman" <wtallmanolypen.com> wrote in message
    > This thing has been such a fine camera for everything I've asked it to do,
    > but it let me down a few days ago, and I haven't a clue as to what was
    > happening.
    >
    > The only problem with the G2 is the same as almost all digitals: shutter
    > delay. Half press has always solved that problem in actual use. But not
    > this time.
    >
    > I was taking snaps indoors, with the flash on, and the damn thing wouldn't
    > take sharp images (apparently wouldn't focus, even though the button was
    at
    > half press. Now, there was enough light for it to present a very nice
    > image in the LCD screen, but even with the flash, shots were obviously
    > blurred. So I kept trying, as the situation was time bound.
    >
    > After a dozen or do tries, the flash would fire and there would be a delay
    > of several seconds (!!) before the shutter sound. And the image would be
    > blurred. Could not figure out what I was doing wrong, so switched to a
    > film camera.
    >
    > Took the G2 outside in the shade, where there wasn't that much more light,
    > and it functioned perfectly. Still does. I've tried since to duplicate
    > this, and have failed to do so. Any ideas about what was happening?
    >
    > Thanks all,
    >
    > Bill Tallman

    Mick Ruthven Guest

  2. #2

    Todd Walker wrote:
    > In article <vh6p78mfse4hd9corp.supernews.com>, [email]wtallmanolypen.com[/email]
    > says...
    >> This thing has been such a fine camera for everything I've asked it to
    >> do, but it let me down a few days ago, and I haven't a clue as to what
    >> was happening.
    >>
    >> The only problem with the G2 is the same as almost all digitals: shutter
    >> delay. Half press has always solved that problem in actual use. But not
    >> this time.
    >>
    >> I was taking snaps indoors, with the flash on, and the damn thing
    >> wouldn't take sharp images (apparently wouldn't focus, even though the
    >> button was at
    >> half press. Now, there was enough light for it to present a very nice
    >> image in the LCD screen, but even with the flash, shots were obviously
    >> blurred. So I kept trying, as the situation was time bound.
    >>
    >> After a dozen or do tries, the flash would fire and there would be a
    >> delay
    >> of several seconds (!!) before the shutter sound. And the image would be
    >> blurred. Could not figure out what I was doing wrong, so switched to a
    >> film camera.
    >>
    >> Took the G2 outside in the shade, where there wasn't that much more
    >> light,
    >> and it functioned perfectly. Still does. I've tried since to duplicate
    >> this, and have failed to do so. Any ideas about what was happening?
    >>
    >> Thanks all,
    >>
    >> Bill Tallman
    >
    > Bill,
    >
    > What mode were you in? It sounds like you may have been in either
    > shutter priority or manual and that the camera was metering based on
    > available light, firing the flash as fill.

    Hmmm... I normally use it in aperture priority mode. In any case, why
    would there be a several second delay between the flash firing and the
    shutter sound? Long exposure? But the image would have been completely
    blurred, I think. Instead, there was some movement, indicating somewhere
    between a 30th and a 10th of a second (off the top of my head...)

    Clearly, I didn't have my digital camera operator hat placed firmly on my
    noggin..... I should have simply set it to point 'n shoot and let it do
    it's own thing. I've got some more experimenting to do, I guess.

    The good news is that the camera seems to work perfectly elsewise!

    Thanks,

    Bill Tallman

    William D. Tallman Guest

  3. #3

    In article <vh78f9ci48gq8dcorp.supernews.com>, [email]wtallmanolypen.com[/email]
    says...
    > Hmmm... I normally use it in aperture priority mode. In any case, why
    > would there be a several second delay between the flash firing and the
    > shutter sound? Long exposure? But the image would have been completely
    > blurred, I think. Instead, there was some movement, indicating somewhere
    > between a 30th and a 10th of a second (off the top of my head...)
    I missed the "several seconds" part. If indeed it is several seconds
    (and doesn't just FEEL like several seconds,) then yes your camera has a
    problem.
    > Clearly, I didn't have my digital camera operator hat placed firmly on my
    > noggin..... I should have simply set it to point 'n shoot and let it do
    > it's own thing. I've got some more experimenting to do, I guess.
    If you do that, does it work properly?

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

  4. #4

    Noticed the same thing in a G3 in a dim electronics store. Darned thing
    would not focus in low light situation. AF kept working for several seconds
    and when the shutter finally tripped, the picture was very blurred.
    Purchased the Sony DSC-F717 which uses a holographic laser AF in low light
    and could not be more happier!

    "William D. Tallman" <com> wrote in message
    at

    Ron Guest

  5. #5

    Because he was either using Program mode or Auto mode, the computer
    tried to use the largest aparture availabe but not enough light, as
    such, the shutter speed has to give, i.e. lower shutter speed to
    compensate it. The blur is because of his hand shake while waiting for
    the shutter to close. He should have use shutter priority say 1/60 or
    1/125 and the blurriness could have been avoided.
    By the way, the dinky flash won't fire off enough light if one stands
    too far away from the object under low light condition.

    Ron wrote:
    > at [/ref]
    abc Guest