Professional Web Applications Themes

G3 firmware update? - Mac Applications & Software

I'm trying to upgrade a G3 to 9.1 from 500 miles away (it's like pulling teeth). I haven't had to to a firmware update for some time - should I be doing this while booted from the CD or using the existing 8.5 and the hard drive? When we try it while booted from the CD, it tries to do the update to the CD which of course reads that there is no room available. My thought is that I can do it while booted from the hard drive, but since it's my mother's computer, I figure I had better ...

  1. #1

    Default G3 firmware update?

    I'm trying to upgrade a G3 to 9.1 from 500 miles away (it's like pulling
    teeth). I haven't had to to a firmware update for some time - should I
    be doing this while booted from the CD or using the existing 8.5 and the
    hard drive?

    When we try it while booted from the CD, it tries to do the update to
    the CD which of course reads that there is no room available. My
    thought is that I can do it while booted from the hard drive, but since
    it's my mother's computer, I figure I had better ask. After all, I
    really would like to stay in the will.

    Melanie
    Melanie Lynch Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: G3 firmware update?

    In article <3F0E0BBC.154FDFFBtoad.net>, Melanie Lynch
    <mellietoad.net> wrote:
    > When we try it while booted from the CD, it tries to do the update to
    > the CD which of course reads that there is no room available.
    If I remember this correctly (it was a long time ago) you need to copy
    the update to your hard drive and run it from there, while booted from
    the hard drive.

    --
    Barry
    [email]Barrynetbox.com[/email] <http://www.netbox.com/barry>

  3. #3

    >I haven't had to to a firmware update for some time - should I
    >be doing this while booted from the CD or using the existing 8.5 and the
    >hard drive?
    You MUST install the firmware update when booted from a hard drive. You cannot
    install a firmware update while booted from a CD.

    It is not necessary to copy the update off the CD. When you run the update, it
    copies the parts it needs onto the boot device (which is why the boot device
    must be the hard drive), then installs when you boot from that device.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  4. #4

    <v1r0b1kdespammed.com> wrote:
    > I did not see this original post, so I'm not certain that my situation
    > will be applicable to the original poster's, but on my B&W G3 in order
    > to do the firmware update I had to be booted into OS 8.6! Considering
    > that I bought my machine used and only had 9+ installed, that made for
    > something of a headache.
    The previous owner shouldn't have been able to install OS 9 without
    having upgraded the firmware first. In other words, you really
    shouldn't have needed to upgrade your firmware at all.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:45:47 GMT, [email]v1r0b1kdespammed.com[/email] wrote:
    >On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:23:25 UTC, [email]mikePOSTTOGROUP.inva[/email]lid (Mike
    >Rosenberg) wrote:
    >
    >> > I did not see this original post, so I'm not certain that my situation
    >> > will be applicable to the original poster's, but on my B&W G3 in order
    >> > to do the firmware update I had to be booted into OS 8.6! Considering
    >> > that I bought my machine used and only had 9+ installed, that made for
    >> > something of a headache.
    >>
    >> The previous owner shouldn't have been able to install OS 9 without
    >> having upgraded the firmware first. In other words, you really
    >> shouldn't have needed to upgrade your firmware at all.
    >>

    >Hey, I agree that I should not have needed to upgrade the firmware, but
    >I did.
    >
    >Here's the order of events:
    >Before firmware upgrade, unable to install.
    >After firmware upgrade, install works fine.
    ???? He (previous owner) would have HAD TO do the firmware update to
    even run OS 9 - how would it need it again?? Not calling you a liar
    dude - just puzzled - I have a B/W - updated my firmware when I put OS
    9 on it - didn't think it would need it ever again? Does a CUDA reset
    - reset the firmware???
    italiano Guest