Professional Web Applications Themes

G4 & G5 Assembler programming intro - Mac Programming

Where can I find information for doing assembler programming for the G4 and G5 processors under Darwin? I would also like to know about the executable (binary) file format and linker/loader. Thanks -- One Emacs to rule them all. One Emacs to find them, One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them, All other programming languages wish they were Lisp....

  1. #1

    Default G4 & G5 Assembler programming intro

    --
    One Emacs to rule them all. One Emacs to find them,
    One Emacs to take commands and to the keystrokes bind them,

    All other programming languages wish they were Lisp.
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: G4 & G5 Assembler programming intro

    In article <net>,
    David Steuber <net> wrote:

    Since no one else answered... You could start with 'man as'. Also look
    at Motorola and IBM's websites.
    Sean Guest

  3. #3

    In article <aei.ca>,
    Sean McBride <org> wrote:

    > Since no one else answered... You could start with 'man as'. Also look
    > at Motorola and IBM's websites.[/ref]

    You might also give the "PowerPC Compiler Writer's Guide" a look:

    <http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/852569B20050FF77
    85256996007558C6>

    ("This book describes, mainly by coding examples, the code patterns that
    perform well on PowerPC processors")

    Reinder
    Reinder Guest

  4. #4

    Sean McBride wrote:

    >Since no one else answered... You could start with 'man as'. Also look
    >at Motorola and IBM's websites.[/ref]

    Since you're likely to be using the GNU assemble/linker under Darwin,
    see "info as" and "info ld" and "man ld" and everything at the end:

    SEE ALSO
    as(1), ar(1), cc(1), libtool(1), ranlib(1), atom(1),
    nm(1), otool(1) lipo(1), arch(3), dyld(3), Mach-O(5),
    strip(1), redo_prebinding(1)

    (Hmm, does RMS want Darwin to be called Gnu/Darwin,
    as he does with Linux?)

    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    Reinder Verlinde <invalid> writes:

    > > Since no one else answered... You could start with 'man as'. Also look
    > > at Motorola and IBM's websites.[/ref]
    >
    > You might also give the "PowerPC Compiler Writer's Guide" a look:
    >
    > <http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/852569B20050FF77
    > 85256996007558C6>
    >
    > ("This book describes, mainly by coding examples, the code patterns that
    > perform well on PowerPC processors")[/ref]

    Ok, I'll try these as the following happened to me:

    $ man as
    No manual entry for as

    'man gas' was not much better ;-)

    As far as man pages go, it seems like only the Darwin Ports stuff
    have man pages. The man pages for OS X items like 'ls' etc do not
    seem to be installed. Did I miss a checkbox item somewhere? I would
    like to have all the man (and info) pages.

    I have texinfo installed from source and Emacs from CVS. I don't
    plan on using XCode per se, but interface builder and other tools
    might appeal to me.

    /usr/bin/as exists but does not respond well to --version unlike
    gcc. Lovely. No info file for as exists either.

    Thanks.

  6. #6

    In article <bq61bi$2ij$news.rcn.net>, com says...

    > >Since no one else answered... You could start with 'man as'. Also look
    > >at Motorola and IBM's websites.[/ref]
    >
    > Since you're likely to be using the GNU assemble/linker under Darwin,
    > see "info as" and "info ld" and "man ld" and everything at the end:
    >
    > SEE ALSO
    > as(1), ar(1), cc(1), libtool(1), ranlib(1), atom(1),
    > nm(1), otool(1) lipo(1), arch(3), dyld(3), Mach-O(5),
    > strip(1), redo_prebinding(1)
    >
    > (Hmm, does RMS want Darwin to be called Gnu/Darwin,
    > as he does with Linux?)
    >

    >[/ref]

    I don't think Darwin uses the GNU linker - there are certainly no GNU
    copyrights in the man pages and it is all a bit different. as claims to
    be GNU based but again lacks GNU copyrights.

    I think the bee in RMS's bonnet is that almost the entire Linux userland
    is GNU tools which is definitely not the case for Darwin as there is
    more BSD and Apple's own stuff.

    There is a GNU/Darwin project - http://www.gnu-darwin.org/ - out there
    but they are a bit credibility deficient as they removed support for PPC
    for some ill defined reason - ISTR it was some Steve Jobs owns all your
    system type of political posturing. They may have restored PPC support
    but I don't really know as they prefer to make their announcements in
    Slashdot flamefests rather than on their own site.
    James Guest

  7. #7

    In article <net>, net
    says...

    Weatherleys-Computer:~ james$ man as > foo.txt
    Weatherleys-Computer:~ james$ ls -l foo.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 james staff 8989 28 Nov 10:24 foo.txt

    Have you installed the BSD subsytem?

    Weatherleys-Computer:~ james$ man ls > foo.txt
    Weatherleys-Computer:~ james$ ls -l foo.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 james staff 14699 28 Nov 10:26 foo.txt

    Who'd have thought that ls needs 50% more explanation than the
    assembler!

    Interface builder is really nice for laying out the GUI. You can also
    use Emacs as the editor for XCode.

    Weatherleys-Computer:~ james$ as -v
    Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-495.obj~4, GNU assembler version
    1.38
    James Guest

  8. #8

    In article <net>,
    David Steuber <net> wrote:

    Did you install the dev tools?
    Sean Guest

  9. #9

    If you know Assembly for x86 procs..... go to:

    /Developer/Doentation/DeveloperTools/Assembler/Assembler.pdf

    If you don't know Assembly for x86 procs... go to the same place and get a lot of coffee :)

    On 2003-11-28 02:27:24 -0800, James Weatherley <net> said:

    > > Since you're likely to be using the GNU assemble/linker under Darwin,
    > > see "info as" and "info ld" and "man ld" and everything at the end:
    > >
    > > SEE ALSO
    > > as(1), ar(1), cc(1), libtool(1), ranlib(1), atom(1),
    > > nm(1), otool(1) lipo(1), arch(3), dyld(3), Mach-O(5),
    > > strip(1), redo_prebinding(1)
    > >
    > > (Hmm, does RMS want Darwin to be called Gnu/Darwin,
    > > as he does with Linux?)
    > >

    > >[/ref]
    >
    > I don't think Darwin uses the GNU linker - there are certainly no GNU
    > copyrights in the man pages and it is all a bit different. as claims to
    > be GNU based but again lacks GNU copyrights.
    >
    > I think the bee in RMS's bonnet is that almost the entire Linux userland
    > is GNU tools which is definitely not the case for Darwin as there is
    > more BSD and Apple's own stuff.
    >
    > There is a GNU/Darwin project - http://www.gnu-darwin.org/ - out there
    > but they are a bit credibility deficient as they removed support for PPC
    > for some ill defined reason - ISTR it was some Steve Jobs owns all your
    > system type of political posturing. They may have restored PPC support
    > but I don't really know as they prefer to make their announcements in
    > Slashdot flamefests rather than on their own site.
    >[/ref]

    Cody Guest

  10. #10

    Sean McBride <org> writes:

    > Did you install the dev tools?[/ref]

    I installed the dev tools and BSD subsystem. I compiled Emacs from
    CVS using the dev tools. Same for texinfo 4.6.

    Some investigations revealed a problem. My MANPATH doesn't include
    all the places to look. I found them with find. So that much is
    sorted out. I will want to be fixing the top level directory for
    info as well so that all the info files can be found.

    This really does feel like Unix.

  11. #11

    Cody Garvin <com> writes:

    Ah! This looks promising. Why on earth is there so much stuff on
    the i386? I did that back in the DOS days because my C compiler
    didn't support certain features I wanted (like keeping a 64bit result
    after multiplying two 32bit ints).

    I love coffee, but it does something nasty to me.