    Removed by Administrator
    Driver Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. #2

    Default Re: G4 Freeze/Hanging Problem Fixed.

    Were the problems you were having with the original keyboard and mouse
    for the machine? Were you running OSX?

    I'm searching high and low for the solution here. This blessed thing
    is killing me and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    Sometimes it will work for days with no issue, sometimes it will lock
    up every other minute. If it could be that easy, I would be very
    grateful.
    Nerraux Guest

  3. #3

    In article <6dedaab2.0307171827.2a82884fposting.google.com >,
    [email]matwellerhotmail.com[/email] (Nerraux) wrote:
    > Were the problems you were having with the original keyboard and mouse
    > for the machine? Were you running OSX?
    >
    > I'm searching high and low for the solution here. This blessed thing
    > is killing me and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    > Sometimes it will work for days with no issue, sometimes it will lock
    > up every other minute. If it could be that easy, I would be very
    > grateful.
    I'm returning my G4 for a new motherboard-processor for the same issue.
    Mine is specific to fixed disk access, though- if I create a large file
    and copy it (over 100Mb), the disks will act as though they aren't
    responding anymore. I can still move the mouse, and software that
    doesn't rely on disk access still runs, but eventually the whole system
    grinds to a stinky halt.

    --
    JD
    2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport

  4. #4

    In article <jdos2-9E40F6.08532518072003news.mindspring.com>,
    Jeff Sumner <jdos2mindspring.com> wrote:
    > In article <6dedaab2.0307171827.2a82884fposting.google.com >,
    > [email]matwellerhotmail.com[/email] (Nerraux) wrote:
    >
    > > Were the problems you were having with the original keyboard and mouse
    > > for the machine? Were you running OSX?
    > >
    > > I'm searching high and low for the solution here. This blessed thing
    > > is killing me and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    > > Sometimes it will work for days with no issue, sometimes it will lock
    > > up every other minute. If it could be that easy, I would be very
    > > grateful.
    >
    > I'm returning my G4 for a new motherboard-processor for the same issue.
    > Mine is specific to fixed disk access, though- if I create a large file
    > and copy it (over 100Mb), the disks will act as though they aren't
    > responding anymore. I can still move the mouse, and software that
    > doesn't rely on disk access still runs, but eventually the whole system
    > grinds to a stinky halt.
    I was getting freezes too and after much checking I found the Pro mouse
    with a broken wire right where it enters the mouse body. Now with my
    new Kensigton studio mouse I've not had anymore freezes.

    Dale J.

    --
    Dale J.
    Bloomington, Minnesota

    E-mail: [email]dalej2mac.com[/email]
    Dale J. Guest

  5. #5

    In article <nospam-948061.09220918072003hermes-ge0.rdc-kc.rr.com>,
    "Dale J. " <nospamnospam.com> wrote:
    > In article <jdos2-9E40F6.08532518072003news.mindspring.com>,
    > Jeff Sumner <jdos2mindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <6dedaab2.0307171827.2a82884fposting.google.com >,
    > > [email]matwellerhotmail.com[/email] (Nerraux) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Were the problems you were having with the original keyboard and mouse
    > > > for the machine? Were you running OSX?
    > > >
    > > > I'm searching high and low for the solution here. This blessed thing
    > > > is killing me and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
    > > > Sometimes it will work for days with no issue, sometimes it will lock
    > > > up every other minute. If it could be that easy, I would be very
    > > > grateful.
    > >
    > > I'm returning my G4 for a new motherboard-processor for the same issue.
    > > Mine is specific to fixed disk access, though- if I create a large file
    > > and copy it (over 100Mb), the disks will act as though they aren't
    > > responding anymore. I can still move the mouse, and software that
    > > doesn't rely on disk access still runs, but eventually the whole system
    > > grinds to a stinky halt.
    >
    > I was getting freezes too and after much checking I found the Pro mouse
    > with a broken wire right where it enters the mouse body. Now with my
    > new Kensigton studio mouse I've not had anymore freezes.
    >
    > Dale J.
    Interesting- I'll give that a try when I get home.

  6. #6

    > I hate to give advice after the event, but that kind of thing can also be
    > caused by the keyboard being slightly out of the USB port on the Mac. Usually
    > unplugging and replugging it back in will sort it out![/ref]

    I've a (hopefully!) similar story, as my Dual G4 hasn't crashed since
    I've replaced the mouse.

    My additional symptom- it seemed that my system simply couldn't work the
    fixed disks anymore- no drive reads/writes in vmstat, though much of my
    software would continue running until such time that it accessed the
    disks, then would stop.
    I replaced the 120GB disk, and the cable. Re-installed the OS, and the
    traps didn't go away.

    OCCASIONALLY, I'd get a panic about problems in the ATA driver, but that
    was rare- usually the system would simply go disk-less...

    I can't say as to whether or not things are perfect, but it's not
    crashed in a couple weeks- longer than it normally would have gone.

    --
    JD
    2001 Moto-Guzzi V11 Sport
    1999 Triumph (shop bike) Trophy