Professional Web Applications Themes

G4 -> G3 direct ethernet connection doesn't work... - Mac Applications & Software

Trying to connect my Dual 1.25 G4 OSX 10.2 tower to my G3 OS 9.2 laptop via twisted pair ethernet cable. Appletalk is active on both machines. File sharing enabled on the G3 TCP/IP has been activated on the G4 with the proper IP node numbers HD on G3 is the volume being shared (files only, not programs) User has been activated on G3 in Multiple Users Mode G4 correctly connects to the server (i.e. the G3), G3 file sharing icon shows connection activity, however in the G4 window, no volume is shown being accessible. Why?? How do I resolve ...

  1. #1

    Default G4 -> G3 direct ethernet connection doesn't work...

    Trying to connect my Dual 1.25 G4 OSX 10.2 tower to my G3 OS 9.2
    laptop via twisted pair ethernet cable.

    Appletalk is active on both machines.
    File sharing enabled on the G3
    TCP/IP has been activated on the G4 with the proper IP node numbers
    HD on G3 is the volume being shared (files only, not programs)
    User has been activated on G3 in Multiple Users Mode

    G4 correctly connects to the server (i.e. the G3), G3 file sharing
    icon shows connection activity, however in the G4 window, no volume is
    shown being accessible.

    Why??
    How do I resolve the problem?
    Is there a known issue with this kind of connection?

    Thank you for your help,

    Paul Weber
    JingleJungle Music
    Bedano
    Switzerland
    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: G4 -> G3 direct ethernet connection doesn't work...

    In article <google.com>,
    ch (Paul C. Weber) wrote:

    Did you use a crossover cable or straight through? If you have a direct
    connection you must use a crossover. Otherwise you will need a hub and
    two standard cables.

    Try to ping each machine from Terminal.app

    Chang
    Chimichanga Guest

  3. #3

    >G4 correctly connects to the server (i.e. the G3), G3 file sharing

    That's an easy one: It means that the user who logged on does not have access
    to any disks.

    Click on the hard disk of the G3. Go to File->Get Info->Sharing. t is not
    enough to say "Share this item and its contents"--you must ALSO set privileges
    for whatever user you are connecting as.

    For example, if you are connecting as Guest, then you must set Read & Write
    privileges for Guest. If you connect as Guest and you see no hard drives, that
    means no hard drives have access for Guest.

    Hope that helps...

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  4. #4

    In article <130820032334532077%com>,
    Barry Twycross <com> wrote:

    > The latest Macs have autosensing ports, the automatically cross over if
    > plugged straight through. (They're an absolutely marvellous idea, you
    > just plug it in and it works, no need to worry about cables.) I'm
    > pretty sure a dual 1.25GHz is new enough to have autosensing ports.[/ref]

    Does that still work when one of the Macs isn't autosensing?

    --
    Real Address-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Bill Gates couldn't innovate his way out of a paper bag.

  5. #5

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.c
    om>, NeoLuddite <com> wrote:

    Yes. The autosensing Mac is autosensing which way around the non
    autosensing one is.

    What I don't understand is what happens with 2 autosensing ports
    connected together. They should both be sensing the other and trying to
    accomodate it, but where do they start? It does work though, my
    ethernet switch is autosensing, so is my iBook, they talk to each other
    no problem.

    --
    Barry
    com <http://www.netbox.com/barry>

  6. #6

    Barry Twycross <com> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:

    > Yes. The autosensing Mac is autosensing which way around the non
    > autosensing one is.
    >
    > What I don't understand is what happens with 2 autosensing ports
    > connected together. They should both be sensing the other and trying to
    > accomodate it, but where do they start? It does work though, my
    > ethernet switch is autosensing, so is my iBook, they talk to each other
    > no problem.[/ref]

    Obviously they are able to recognize each other. It could be done
    with different combinations of pullup/pulldown resistors on the data
    lines. Another question is how a pair of autosensing ports decide
    which one is going to do the switching.

    Anno
    Anno Guest

  7. #7

    > In article <130820032334532077%com>,
    > >
    > > The latest Macs have autosensing ports, the automatically cross over if
    > > plugged straight through. (They're an absolutely marvellous idea, you
    > > just plug it in and it works, no need to worry about cables.) I'm
    > > pretty sure a dual 1.25GHz is new enough to have autosensing ports.[/ref][/ref]

    .. . . speaking of autosensing, how does one set the network speed
    manually? I have had issues with autosensing on Win2000 networks where
    I've had to manually set the switch to a particular speed. Can the Mac
    NIC be manually set too?

    Glenn
    GDB Guest

  8. #8

    com (Tacit) wrote in message news:<aol.com>...

    > That's an easy one: It means that the user who logged on does not have access
    > to any disks.
    >
    > Click on the hard disk of the G3. Go to File->Get Info->Sharing. t is not
    > enough to say "Share this item and its contents"--you must ALSO set privileges
    > for whatever user you are connecting as.
    >
    > For example, if you are connecting as Guest, then you must set Read & Write
    > privileges for Guest. If you connect as Guest and you see no hard drives, that
    > means no hard drives have access for Guest.
    >
    > Hope that helps...[/ref]

    Yes it did, indeed...

    My basic problem was that I ed up on the Users... since both
    machines belong to me, I did a mixup with the user names &
    authorizations... that's really all. One of those really stupid and
    embarassing :0 mistakes like locking your keys in the car or...

    Thank you, everyone!

    Paul
    Paul Guest