Professional Web Applications Themes

G5 any news when they actually ship? - Mac Applications & Software

I'm using a Linux/XP PC now but want to order a Mac G5. If I have to wait months for these to actually show up in the food chain the urge to move to a G5 becomes less. Call me crazy but having ads on TV of a product they don't have available makes little sense to me. Apple store insist if you pre-order you'll get it in late August? I said do you have a specific date in August? No but you'll have it by late August again he said. To me that sounds like they have no idea ...

  1. #1

    Default G5 any news when they actually ship?

    I'm using a Linux/XP PC now but want to order a Mac G5. If I have to wait
    months for these to actually show up in the food chain the urge to move to
    a G5 becomes less. Call me crazy but having ads on TV of a product they
    don't have available makes little sense to me.

    Apple store insist if you pre-order you'll get it in late August? I said do
    you have a specific date in August? No but you'll have it by late August
    again he said. To me that sounds like they have no idea if in fact it will
    be shipped by then! Seeing I need a new computer now and I waited a month
    since the announcement already, I don't know. Mac people must need a lot of
    patience besides money:)

    rrjohn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: G5 any news when they actually ship?

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:50:31 -0400, rrjohn wrote
    (in message <supernews.com>):

    They can never give you a firm date. Nobody knows what could happen
    between your order time and the time that they quote you.

    When the systems were announced, they were announced to ship in late
    august. So it would be unrealistic of you to expect that to change just
    because you want one.

    If you want one of them, then you wait. If you can't wait then you must
    find something else that suits your needs.

    I know that sometime it's not the need that drives the decision, but the
    desire for something, and if it's just your desire that is driving you
    to want one of those dual monsters, maybe it's a good thing for you that
    they're delayed.

    For me, I intend on bying whatever the top of the line is going to be
    next february, be it a dual 2Ghz or something higher. But for me it's
    not the desire that is driving my decision, it's logic.

    --
    J Brady

    Jonathan Guest

  3. #3

    rrjohn wrote:

    To some degree, they don't. When your machine ships depends on how many
    people already ordered, as well as whether an unforeseen delay in
    manufacturing (like an earthquake in SEAsia that takes out a critical
    component factory) comes along to put things out of kilter. I
    understand your frustration -- and it doesn't help that prior experience
    with the company leads me to believe they're using a definition of "late
    August" which most of the country would consider "October 3rd".

    Jim
    --

    Longhaired freaky people need not apply.
    Jim Guest

  4. #4

    com (Jim Hill) writes:

    This isn't unique to Apple.

    All companies do the same thing. If they say "late August", what it
    really means is that they have an internal deadline to ship the first
    unit before the close of business of August 31.

    Of course, since September 1 is a US holiday (Labor Day), this does
    mean that the first orders probably won't receive their shipments
    before October 2, and this will only be if they paid for overnight
    shipping.

    This is nothing new. It's couched in terms like "late" instead of an
    exact day so that they can ship earlier, if possible. Most of us
    would care if they ship early, but there are probably some lawyers
    somewhere that would make trouble if they announced 8/31 and shipped
    on 8/25 or something.

    Every company in the business does similar things with their
    announcements.

    The only real exception to this I can think of is (of all things) the
    music/movie industry. When I pre-order movies from web stores, they
    almost always ship several days before the official release (so that
    they'll arrive by the release date).

    But I can't think of any other industries where that is common. The
    entertainment industry can do it because once the media is mastered,
    it's simple to stamp out thousands of copies and distribute them, and
    every release is pretty much the same, so it's pretty easy to make
    exact predictions.

    The computer biz, on the other hand, is not nearly as predictable. A
    software product can only have an accurate release after the product
    has gone "golden", but bugs can delay a release up to the last
    second, and it often does. Hardware products are even worse, because
    each unit must be individually assembled and tested, and experience
    with prior generations doesn't always translate over to new models.
    (For example, the assembly procedure for a CRT iMac is very different
    from an LCD iMac, a Quicksilver G4 or a G5 system.) So your target
    dates necessarily have to be more fuzzy. The only alternative is to
    hold off on announcements until you actually have shipping stock, but
    that means you won't be able to sell many on the release date, which
    is much worse.

    -- David
    David Guest

  5. #5

    In article <canit.se>, Joakim
    Wendel <net> wrote:

    Rude? The man is told the machines start shipping at the end of
    August. To him this means the people at Apple "have no idea" when the
    machines will ship. The man has a problem.
    jemmy Guest

  6. #6

    > com (Jim Hill) writes: [/ref]

    If anything, Apple would like to get some into the hands of college
    students before they go off to school. Remember that the original iMac
    release date was August 15, 1998 so students could take them to their
    dorm rooms. Even though the G5 is considered to be more of the 'Pro'
    unit, it now comes down to the bottom line. Looking at Apple's last
    quarter's sales, they need this shot in the arm for their Pro components.

    Bill
    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    In article <on.sympatico.ca>, Jonathan Brady <myfmail.com> writes:

    > They can never give you a firm date. Nobody knows what could happen
    > between your order time and the time that they quote you.
    >
    > When the systems were announced, they were announced to ship in late
    > august. So it would be unrealistic of you to expect that to change just
    > because you want one.
    >
    > If you want one of them, then you wait. If you can't wait then you must
    > find something else that suits your needs.
    >
    > I know that sometime it's not the need that drives the decision, but the
    > desire for something, and if it's just your desire that is driving you
    > to want one of those dual monsters, maybe it's a good thing for you that
    > they're delayed.
    >
    > For me, I intend on bying whatever the top of the line is going to be
    > next february, be it a dual 2Ghz or something higher. But for me it's
    > not the desire that is driving my decision, it's logic.
    >[/ref]

    That is not a bad idea. I was thinking of waiting to see what other folks'
    experience was etc, and then maybe buying in December. But then I'd be
    in the Christmas rush. February does sound better frpm a logic point
    of view. If I had waited 2-3 months last year to get my iBook, I would
    have skipped the pain of 10.1, and ended up with more disk and memory
    for the same price, but here I have to sympathise with Jonathan.
    Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy now, in order to get
    started.
    Paul Guest