Professional Web Applications Themes

G5 Discussion - Mac Applications & Software

I've seen more and more posts about the new G5. I have also visited at least one web site that had details about the G5. I don't know the exact date that the G5 will be released. However, if I was considering the purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for an obsolete G4 mac. Do you agree or disagree. When will the G5 be released for sale?? My best guess is the NEXT MacWorld Expo....

  1. #1

    Default G5 Discussion

    I've seen more and more posts about the new G5. I have also visited at
    least one web site that had details about the G5. I don't know the exact
    date that the G5 will be released. However, if I was considering the
    purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy
    it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for
    an obsolete G4 mac.

    Do you agree or disagree.

    When will the G5 be released for sale??
    My best guess is the NEXT MacWorld Expo.
    Bill B. Johnson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: G5 Discussion

    In article
    <billbjohnson555-2706031356290001pm0-broad-129.snlo.dialup.fix.net>,
    [email]billbjohnson555nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Bill B. Johnson) wrote:
    > I've seen more and more posts about the new G5. I have also visited at
    > least one web site that had details about the G5. I don't know the exact
    > date that the G5 will be released. However, if I was considering the
    > purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy
    > it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for
    > an obsolete G4 mac.
    >
    > Do you agree or disagree.
    >
    > When will the G5 be released for sale??
    > My best guess is the NEXT MacWorld Expo.
    It's, um, available on the Apple store web site right now, and has been
    for a few days.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  3. #3

    In article
    <billbjohnson555-2706031356290001pm0-broad-129.snlo.dialup.fix.net>,
    [email]billbjohnson555nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Bill B. Johnson) wrote:

    :> I've seen more and more posts about the new G5. I have also visited at
    :> least one web site that had details about the G5. I don't know the exact
    :> date that the G5 will be released. However, if I was considering the
    :> purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy
    :> it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for
    :> an obsolete G4 mac.
    :>
    :> Do you agree or disagree.
    :>
    :> When will the G5 be released for sale??
    :> My best guess is the NEXT MacWorld Expo.

    Apple doesn't announce a new machine without also announcing its
    intended availability date. When Jobs announced the new G5 models at
    WWDC, I believe he announced availability in August. Aside from that,
    it's highly unlikely that the G5 renders the G4 obsolete. Don't forget
    that there are still models being sold with G3s in them, like the iBook.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  4. #4

    In article
    <billbjohnson555-2706031356290001pm0-broad-129.snlo.dialup.fix.net>,
    [email]billbjohnson555nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Bill B. Johnson) wrote:
    > However, if I was considering the
    > purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy
    > it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for
    > an obsolete G4 mac.
    If your budget is $2000 for a new computer, it makes sense to wait for
    the G5. If your budget for a new computer is as small as possible for
    whatever suits your needs, you can spend less for a G4 that will get the
    job done with plenty of speed and style.

    My old G4 (dual 450) is doing just fine at the moment. I am, however,
    saving my pennies for a dual G5. Do I need it? Heck, no. It's the
    coolness factor for me.

    --
    Larry Fransson
    Seattle, WA

  5. #5

    Bill B. Johnson:
    > I've seen more and more posts about the new G5. I have also visited at
    > least one web site that had details about the G5. I don't know the exact
    > date that the G5 will be released.
    Why not go directly to the source? <http://www.apple.com/powermac/> The
    G5's are available now for pre-order; Steve Jobs said that they will
    ship in August.
    > However, if I was considering the
    > purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy
    > it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for
    > an obsolete G4 mac.
    > Do you agree or disagree.
    I agree that if you want a G5 you should buy one.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  6. #6

    Larry Fransson <newsgroupslarryandjenny.net> wrote:
    > My old G4 (dual 450) is doing just fine at the moment. I am, however,
    > saving my pennies for a dual G5. Do I need it? Heck, no. It's the
    > coolness factor for me.
    Nine fans to cool them,
    Nine fans to make them fast.
    Neill Massello Guest

  7. #7

    Bill B. Johnson <billbjohnson555nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    > I've seen more and more posts about the new G5. I have also visited at
    > least one web site that had details about the G5. I don't know the exact
    > date that the G5 will be released. However, if I was considering the
    > purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy
    > it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for
    > an obsolete G4 mac.
    How do you define "obsolete"? I deal with that word with clients
    frequently. If you define it to mean there's something newer than what
    you have, then of course each new release makes the previous models
    obsolete. If you define it in terms of capabilities, it's a different
    story, especially if you take an individual user's needs into account.

    For example, for someone who only wants to use a very basic word
    processor, an SE running MacWrite or WriteNow isn't obsolete since it's
    still capable of doing everything that user cares about.

    That said, what is it that a G5 can do that a G4 can't? Unless you're
    someone who can come up with some items to answer that with, and items
    that are relevant to how you want to use the computer, then a G4 isn't
    obsolete.

    Now, as for the "paying over $2000" part, the day Apple announced the G5
    line, they also streamlined the G4 line and cut prices. You can now buy
    a 1.25 GHz G4, capable of booting both OS 9 and OS X, for only $1295.
    Mine should be arriving from Mac Warehouse in several days.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  8. #8

    In article <bdkgb7$hl2$1cronkite.temple.edu>, [email]stantemple.edu[/email] wrote:
    > Bill B. Johnson <billbjohnson555nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen more and more posts about the new G5. I have also visited at
    > > least one web site that had details about the G5. I don't know the exact
    > > date that the G5 will be released. However, if I was considering the
    > > purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy
    > > it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for
    > > an obsolete G4 mac.
    >
    > > Do you agree or disagree.
    >
    > > When will the G5 be released for sale??
    > > My best guess is the NEXT MacWorld Expo.
    >
    > Apple's web site says August, if I am not mistaken. That's about a month
    > away from the MacWorld Expo. The bottom line is very simple. If you need a
    > new Mac NOW, buy a G4 now. If you can wait until August to buy a G5, then
    > wait. Trust me, in a few months, the G5s that will out in August will be
    > absolete. Steve Jobs is already talking about a 3Ghtz G5 in another few
    > months, if I am not mistaken.

    "3Ghz within 12 months" , Steve Jobs said that about the new G5 at the
    SF developers confrence this week. By the way you can view the whole
    thing here

    [url]http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc03/[/url]

    An interesting presentation by Mr. Jobs, and fun to watch, I highly
    recommend it.

    Dale J.

    --
    Dale J.
    Bloomington, Minnesota

    E-mail: [email]dalej2mac.com[/email]
    dj Guest

  9. #9

    In article <1fx9bs3.7xfgae1ufp5s0N%mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid >,
    [email]usenetmacconsult.com[/email] (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:
    > Bill B. Johnson <billbjohnson555nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen more and more posts about the new G5. I have also visited at
    > > least one web site that had details about the G5. I don't know the exact
    > > date that the G5 will be released. However, if I was considering the
    > > purchased of a new mac--I would wait until the G5 was available and buy
    > > it. This would make a lot more sense to me than paying over $2000.00 for
    > > an obsolete G4 mac.
    >
    > How do you define "obsolete"? I deal with that word with clients
    > frequently. If you define it to mean there's something newer than what
    > you have, then of course each new release makes the previous models
    > obsolete. If you define it in terms of capabilities, it's a different
    > story, especially if you take an individual user's needs into account.
    >
    > For example, for someone who only wants to use a very basic word
    > processor, an SE running MacWrite or WriteNow isn't obsolete since it's
    > still capable of doing everything that user cares about.
    >
    > That said, what is it that a G5 can do that a G4 can't? Unless you're
    > someone who can come up with some items to answer that with, and items
    > that are relevant to how you want to use the computer, then a G4 isn't
    > obsolete.
    >
    > Now, as for the "paying over $2000" part, the day Apple announced the G5
    > line, they also streamlined the G4 line and cut prices. You can now buy
    > a 1.25 GHz G4, capable of booting both OS 9 and OS X, for only $1295.
    > Mine should be arriving from Mac Warehouse in several days.
    Great points. However, as you know--there are lots of people that like the
    latest and newest products. I'm sure you know people that buy a new car
    almost every year and women that buy new fashions every year. I am not
    such a person. I would probably really want the fastest G5 but would
    instead end up with a great deal--probably less than $1000 on the dual G4.
    Bill B. Johnson Guest