Professional Web Applications Themes

G5 PCI ethernet card/ adaptor problems - Mac Networking

I'm trying to get an SMC1255TX PCI 10/100 ethernet/ network card/ adaptor working in my Apple PowerMac G5 1.6GHz running OS X 10.2.7(G5). I have downloaded and installed the latest driver. The card is recognised and configurable in Network Preferences. When connected to my hub the Link Active light is on at both ends. When the card is configured with a static IP address, that address can be pinged. When I try to ping to or from a LAN machine (static configuration, same subnet) I get a series of " ping: sendto: Host is down " messages. I have done ...

  1. #1

    Default G5 PCI ethernet card/ adaptor problems

    I'm trying to get an SMC1255TX PCI 10/100 ethernet/ network card/ adaptor
    working in my Apple PowerMac G5 1.6GHz running OS X 10.2.7(G5).

    I have downloaded and installed the latest driver. The card is recognised
    and configurable in Network Preferences. When connected to my hub the Link
    Active light is on at both ends. When the card is configured with a static
    IP address, that address can be pinged.

    When I try to ping to or from a LAN machine (static configuration, same
    subnet) I get a series of " ping: sendto: Host is down " messages.

    I have done a machine hardware test, used a crossover cable rather than the
    hub. The same machine configurations work without problem when connected by
    the G5's built in ethernet.

    The card worked fine in a G4 dual 867MHz running OS X 10.2.6 with the same
    configuration.

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

    John W. Whitworth Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: G5 PCI ethernet card/ adaptor problems

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve Modica Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    John W. Whitworth Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    John W. Whitworth Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    I am having the EXACT same problem, with 2 separate cards.
    First, an FE-551 PCI Ethernet 10/100 card installed by MacWorld guys,
    forget who the manufacturer is.
    I assumed the card was bad, (called macworld "gee, we'd like to help,
    but you have to talk to your associate and he doesnt work again for 4
    days" and tech support saying "um, dunno, call the manufacter" which i
    did and they wont talk to you until you give them a CC and they charge
    $1/minute on the phone". Good thing $3000 buys a nice computer these
    days.

    Anyway, assuming the card was bad, i ran out and bought a nice asante
    696 PCI ethernet card from a local larger apple store, and they said
    "yes, it will work in a G5", sure? yes... sure? yes... really sure?
    YES!. ok. (the box says friendlynet, their cute name, but its
    asante).

    put that in, same thing, tried in two different PCI ports, varied the
    cables, even changed the hub.

    called apple care, i have a 3year deal, twice!, they wouldnt help.
    "gosh, talk to the manufacturer..."

    Too late tonight to call asante, going to call in the morning, but I
    verified I have the latest "ok with OSX 10.2 (this is 10.2.7)"
    driver... specifically version 2.2.1.

    I bet there's some damn stupid thing in this G5 that I'd love to start
    using that ed up these cards... You'd think the applecare guys
    would have me run some PCI diagnostics or something since 2 cards now
    have failed.

    anyone get this to work?

    (mine's a 1.8ghz single cpu G5). The onboard ethernet (en0) works
    fine.
    Andrew Trieger Guest

  6. #6

    In article <848404cc.0309112054.65a5963posting.google.com> ,
    [email]atrieger[/email] (Andrew Trieger) wrote:

    Looked them up on the web - that FE-551 is a MacSense card, BTW.
    They're both 5v PCI cards, and absolutely no reason to expect them to
    work in a G5 1.8. Hope you didn't fry your PCI-X bus by using them.
    You need to read up on the computer you bought and understand the
    peripheral support:

    [url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86427&sessionID=anonymous%[/url]
    7C22816561&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f

    Only the 1.6 supports legacy 5v 33MHz PCI cards.

    KeS
    Kevin Stevens Guest

  7. #7

    I believe all G5s can support 5V cards, but they must have 3.3V signalling.
    The notches on the cards prevent inserting the wrong card so frying the bus
    shouldn't be a problem.

    I have an Asante 696 too. Posted to their forums and a tech support person
    said it's a driver issue. The driver must be G5 specific. He has made a
    request for a G5 696 driver to be developed.

    On 12/9/03 6:36 am, in article [email]4n2831-g9c1.ln1pursued-with.net[/email], "Kevin
    Stevens" <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:
    > In article <848404cc.0309112054.65a5963posting.google.com> ,
    > [email]atrieger[/email] (Andrew Trieger) wrote:
    >
    > Looked them up on the web - that FE-551 is a MacSense card, BTW.
    > They're both 5v PCI cards, and absolutely no reason to expect them to
    > work in a G5 1.8. Hope you didn't fry your PCI-X bus by using them.
    > You need to read up on the computer you bought and understand the
    > peripheral support:
    >
    > [url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86427&sessionID=anonymous%[/url]
    > 7C22816561&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f
    >
    > Only the 1.6 supports legacy 5v 33MHz PCI cards.
    >
    > KeS
    John W. Whitworth Guest

  8. #8

    Should have said there are two versions of the 696. If you can plug it into
    the G5 it's the right version (3.3V signalling, not the older 5V)

  9. #9

    Generally, a 5V card that has 3V signaling and can go in a PCIX slot is
    called "universal". (at least that how I've always heard them described).

    John W. Whitworth wrote:
    > I believe all G5s can support 5V cards, but they must have 3.3V signalling.
    > The notches on the cards prevent inserting the wrong card so frying the bus
    > shouldn't be a problem.
    >
    > I have an Asante 696 too. Posted to their forums and a tech support person
    > said it's a driver issue. The driver must be G5 specific. He has made a
    > request for a G5 696 driver to be developed.
    >

    > On 12/9/03 6:36 am, in article [email]4n2831-g9c1.ln1pursued-with.net[/email], "Kevin
    > Stevens" <Kevin_StevensHotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <848404cc.0309112054.65a5963posting.google.com> ,
    >>atrieger (Andrew Trieger) wrote:
    >>
    >>Looked them up on the web - that FE-551 is a MacSense card, BTW.
    >>They're both 5v PCI cards, and absolutely no reason to expect them to
    >>work in a G5 1.8. Hope you didn't fry your PCI-X bus by using them.
    >>You need to read up on the computer you bought and understand the
    >>peripheral support:
    >>
    >>[url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86427&sessionID=anonymous%[/url]
    >>7C22816561&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f
    >>
    >>Only the 1.6 supports legacy 5v 33MHz PCI cards.
    >>
    >>KeS

    Steve Modica Guest

  10. #10

    Hi Kevin,

    Some friends of mine that used to work for a UNIX vendor are starting a
    business around high performance networking for MAC. We're doing
    research now and we've got some initial products selected. Our first G5
    arrives today and we should have our dual CPU system in a couple weeks.
    The team is all composed of guys that know how to write UNIX drivers
    and we've already figured out all the mac C++ class foo so we can get
    things bolted in properly.

    I'm looking for advice from people that are more connected with the MAC
    world than we are. Do you think Apple will create a G5 Xserve?

    We have this impression that Apple VARs and Apple themselves really
    don't have a clue as to how to handle high performance server
    applications. We've been doing some reading and no one we've found
    seems to have a handle on what the G5 is capable of. (except perhaps
    virginia tech.. they have infiniband in theirs!)

    Anyhow, any advice, concerns, wish lists, user groups, etc etc that you
    might want to share with us, we'd love to hear.

    Steve

    Kevin Stevens wrote:
    > In article <848404cc.0309112054.65a5963posting.google.com> ,
    > [email]atrieger[/email] (Andrew Trieger) wrote:
    >
    > Looked them up on the web - that FE-551 is a MacSense card, BTW.
    > They're both 5v PCI cards, and absolutely no reason to expect them to
    > work in a G5 1.8. Hope you didn't fry your PCI-X bus by using them.
    > You need to read up on the computer you bought and understand the
    > peripheral support:
    >
    > [url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86427&sessionID=anonymous%[/url]
    > 7C22816561&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f
    >
    > Only the 1.6 supports legacy 5v 33MHz PCI cards.
    >
    > KeS
    Steve Modica Guest

  11. #11

    In article <3F61BCB9.2030204small-tree.com>, Steve Modica
    <modicasmall-tree.com> wrote:
    > I'm looking for advice from people that are more connected with the MAC
    > world than we are. Do you think Apple will create a G5 Xserve?
    It seems almost certain to me. The technology in the desktop G5 for
    keeping the chips cool with little airflow seems to me like it was
    really designed for putting the processor in a 1U server appliance.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  12. #12

    Gentlemen,

    1. i didnt do any checking on voltages or anything before getting the
    cards, i'm not a PCI expert, but I did ask Apple themselves, an apple
    reseller, and an apple store (2 separate people, no 3 actually
    including the phone call). They all said it would work.

    2. I just got a reply from asante saying, you guessed, it wont work.
    Here's the reply:

    FROM ASANTE:
    This card does not work in the G5 series. We do not recommend any of
    the
    AsantéFAST 10/100 cards for installation into the G5 platform. We
    only
    support the G5 series with our GigaNIX offerings. The issue here is
    that
    the G5 PCI bus only supports 3.3V cards (and most all of the present
    10/100
    cards out on the market, by Asanté and other vendors require 5.0V to
    operate). Post that back to the users group so others can understand
    what
    is happening.
    END FROM ASANTE

    So I'm going to go figure out what a giganix is and if its something i
    can buy nearby, get one and use that. I'll post the results. Thanks
    to asante for replying within a day and hopefully giving some accurate
    information.
    Andrew Trieger Guest

  13. #13

    follow up: asante was sort of right, sort of not. I think they were
    right that the cards I had wont work in a 1.8ghz G5 which has PCI-X
    and evidently shaky backward PCI compatibility, they probably would
    have worked in a 1.6ghz G5, which might be the reason Apple and so
    many other folks said this would work. New info is, though, that the
    card they said *would* work in unavailable, nobody has it anyway, the
    giga nix 1000TA, called 6 resellers, and asante themselves, another
    guy, said its been discontinued.. so whatever.

    I asked apple again for their recommendation for a 2ndary ethernet
    card in my 1.8ghz G5, they gave no suggestions... and guide.apple.com
    has nothing on it.

    SO, a nice old box with linux on it will be the router and i wont use
    the G5 with two NICs for 6 or 12mos when I'm sure there'll be more
    stuff available.. and hopefully the cards wont be $250 like the
    giganix was... ouch.

    Onward and upwards...
    Andrew Trieger Guest