Professional Web Applications Themes

g5 SPANKS the competition (if you are a delusional mac troll) - Mac Applications & Software

I was at spymac, and one of the links was g4 g5 and amd benchmarks. amd 2000 + got 127.4 seconds, while the 1.6 g5 got a 158.2 seconds, lower is better. I am using a mac, I prefer them to PC's. But the macidiots were trolling hardcore when they said the g5 would spank the out of a pc. I went to the place I buy my pc's from, because a) they have 1 800 tech support b) its free for life c) they give really good service, and configured a amd 2000 to the specs of the g5 ...

  1. #1

    Default g5 SPANKS the competition (if you are a delusional mac troll)

    I was at spymac, and one of the links was g4 g5 and amd benchmarks.
    amd 2000 + got 127.4 seconds, while the 1.6 g5 got a 158.2 seconds,
    lower is better.

    I am using a mac, I prefer them to PC's. But the macidiots were
    trolling hardcore when they said the g5 would spank the out of a pc.

    I went to the place I buy my pc's from, because
    a) they have 1 800 tech support
    b) its free for life
    c) they give really good service,
    and configured a amd 2000 to the specs of the g5 :

    AthlonXP,2000PR Palomino, 1.67Ghz
    Asus,A7N8X-Deluxe, DDR400, sound, LAN, 8x AGP,1394, SATA
    DDR333,256Mb DDR 333Mhz PC-2700
    Seagate, 80.0Gb Serial ATA, 7200rpm (8Mb cache)
    Pioneer,DVR-105 DVD-RW IDE OEM
    Intel,56k Data/Fax/Voice, PCI
    Intel,Gigabit Ethernet Adapter PCI
    Chaintech,8x GeForce FX 5200 128Mb DDR w/TV, DVI
    Codegen,6061 Aluminum Mid-ATX case 350W P/S less
    Total: $ 789.00 (with 1 year warranty. it is a tested and burned in
    computer, not parts.)

    Almost 1/3rd the price yet it was faster than the g5. Only downside:
    doesnt run os x.
    no Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:42:30 GMT, no <com> transmitted the
    following electrons:

    I saw the benchmarks in question also and I was extremely surprised at
    the results.
    It's amazing considering the 2000 + is older technology, at least
    older than the G5 and that the PC with this specific configuration,
    which is similar to the one I put together, except for the HD and the
    DVD-RW, with a slower FSB, scored as high as it did compared to the
    G5.
    I wonder if Panther will change things, even though I doubt it,
    considering that it won't be a 64 bit OS.
    At the end of the day, unless you're rendering complex scenes in Maya
    or doing some serious 2D/3D, will it make a difference to the end
    user? And yes, OSX's GUI and general usability are superior to Windows
    but Windows had caught up significantly and is presently quite usable,
    IMO.

    Nicolas

    Nicolas Guest

  3. #3

    >I was at spymac, and one of the links was g4 g5 and amd benchmarks.

    If you're talking about the OpenGL rendering tests, they measure the speed of
    the video card and the speed of the OpenGL rendering software, not the speed of
    the computer.

    If I put a fast video card in a slow computer, it will spank a fast computer
    with a slow video card on those tests.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  4. #4

    I truely have no idea what you're talking about. I have:

    iMac

    It works and it is fast. No techyblah for me.

    Mark

    no wrote:

    --

    eHUG coordinator
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/mark.sch

    Contribute to HyperCardParis
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/mark.sch/contr.html
    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bidl27$kml$apple.com>,
    Peter Ammon <com> wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > http://www.spymac.com/archive_main.php
    >
    > Can you find the link?
    >[/ref]

    I wanted to ask the same question...

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  6. #6

    no wrote:

    Aye, there's the rub.

    I don't own a Mac because of its speed or lack thereof. I don't
    own a Mac because of the amazing industrial design. I certainly don't own
    a Mac because of the price.

    I own a Mac because in 25 years of computing I have never found a
    more stable, reliable, visually pleasing, application rich operating system
    than OS X. It has ruined me for other OSes.

    And seeing as this is cross-posted to an advocacy group, I'll say
    something that is highly subjective. I have a friend who just got a new AMD
    Athlon-based PC. It's very fast and quite inexpensive when compared to the
    current Macs but when you figure in all the time he spends banging his head
    on his desk because of general Windows' funkiness, the speed difference is
    negated and no amount of money is worth the frustration he deals with.

    OS X is the mother of all killer apps.

    --
    Bjorn Nitmo <com>
    Yes, my name is Bjorn and no, I don't work at Ikea.

    Bjorn Guest

  7. #7

    Alan Baker wrote:

    > I wanted to ask the same question...[/ref]

    Try this one:
    http://www.theandyzone.com/Computer/shootout.html

    pointyhead Guest

  8. #8

    In article <uk.clara.net>,
    pointyhead <com> wrote:

    > > I wanted to ask the same question...[/ref]
    >
    > Try this one:
    > http://www.theandyzone.com/Computer/shootout.html
    >[/ref]

    OK. The G5 does pretty well against the AMD 2000; beating it in some
    tests and getting beaten in others.

  9. #9

    In news:telus.net,
    Alan Baker <net> typed:

    >> Try this one:
    >> http://www.theandyzone.com/Computer/shootout.html
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > OK. The G5 does pretty well against the AMD 2000; beating it in some
    > tests and getting beaten in others.[/ref]

    the problem of course, is that the amd3200+, not to mention the opterons,
    have been shipping for a while.

    ed Guest

  10. #10

    > I was at spymac, and one of the links was g4 g5 and amd benchmarks.

    1. Why was this crossposted?
    2. What are you doing if not trolling? I notice on the Cinebench 2003
    test, the dual G5 did better than everything except the dual Athlon 2.1
    or Xeon 2.4. On a highly unoptimized benchmark.

    The singles do look weak, but it's in MP that the G5 really shines.

    P.S. I also have "free support for life" on my Mac, too.
    Seeker1 Guest

  11. #11

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:00:37 GMT, Alan Baker <net>
    wrote:

    >> Try this one:
    >> http://www.theandyzone.com/Computer/shootout.html
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >OK. The G5 does pretty well against the AMD 2000; beating it in some
    >tests and getting beaten in others.[/ref]

    You're OK with an AMD budget processor that's got a replacement that's
    marketed as being 50% faster (AMD has the XP3000+ available - not to
    mention the XP3200+) walking all over the $2000 G5?
    foo Guest

  12. #12

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:41:25 -0700, Seeker1 wrote
    (in message <comcast.giganews.com>):

    Where do you get this?

    Dave (a Mac user for life)

    DaveC Guest

  13. #13

    In article <com>,
    foo <com> wrote:

    > >OK. The G5 does pretty well against the AMD 2000; beating it in some
    > >tests and getting beaten in others.[/ref]
    >
    > You're OK with an AMD budget processor that's got a replacement that's
    > marketed as being 50% faster (AMD has the XP3000+ available - not to
    > mention the XP3200+) walking all over the $2000 G5?[/ref]

    It doesn't walk all over the G5.

  14. #14

    In article <sf.sbcglobal.net>,
    no <com> wrote:

    And that's why that machine is totally useless to me. (btw: why the
    crossposts?)

    --
    C Lund, www.notam02.no/~clund
    C Guest

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Strider Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. #16

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:42:30 GMT, no <com> wrote:

    The 1.6 G5 is a cripple; it's missing many of the features that make
    the "real" G5s faster - like the ability to properly use DDR RAM,
    IIRC...
    forge Guest

  17. #17

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:29:59 GMT, Bjorn Nitmo <com>
    wrote:

    ditto.
    forge Guest

  18. #18

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:48:32 -0400,
    forge (bellsouth.net) wrote:

    > ditto.[/ref]

    I've used a Mac on the desktop for since '89, and *nix workstations for
    work until this year. With 10.2, a dual G4, and gcc 3.3, I'm finally
    down to just two computers under my desk -- a Linux fileserver, and my
    10.2 machine for everything else. Yippee!

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  19. #19

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:22:10 GMT, Alan Baker <net>
    wrote:

    >> You're OK with an AMD budget processor that's got a replacement that's
    >> marketed as being 50% faster (AMD has the XP3000+ available - not to
    >> mention the XP3200+) walking all over the $2000 G5?[/ref]
    >
    >It doesn't walk all over the G5.[/ref]

    It's a $50 processor, and for most intents and purposes it beats the
    G5 at most things - call it what you will. Buy a $150 AMD CPU and it
    *really* beats the G5. That's embarrassing, isn't it? This "hot" new
    CPU that's beaten by yesteryear's AMD chips?
    foo Guest