Professional Web Applications Themes

Gamma Loader won't open - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have just started using Elements and want to calibrate my monitor. HOwever when I click on Gamma Loader or try to get it working with Run, nothing happens. How can I get this to work? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default Gamma Loader won't open

    Sally_Weigand@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gamma Loader won't open

    Got to the Control Panel, it should have an icon there.
    Richard_Coencas@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I have an even more basic question: I would like to calibrate my monitor, but the Gamma Utility doesn't seem to have been installed. It does not appear in the Display folder of Control Panel. Could it be anywhere else? Is there a way to install it without uninstalling and reinstalling the whole Photoshop Elements program?
    Larry_Sapadin@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    There is no icon for Gamma Loader in the Control Panel. It appears in Programs/Common Files/Adobe/Calibration and I can bring it up with Run. Was there a problem with its installation? Cann I re-install it from the CD without uninstalling reinstalling all of Photo. El.?
    Sally_Weigand@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Larry and Sally,

    On my PSE2 installation under Win98SE, I also got no Adobe Gamma installed
    in my Control Panel.

    However, I found it (Adobe Gamma.cpl) in C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Adobe\Calibration

    Just double-click it and it runs.

    HTH,

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Byron,

    Thanks so much. Followed your directions, there it was!

    So here's a follow-up question: The Adobe PSE2 manual says that to get ready to calibrate, you have to "Set your desktop to display neutral grays only, using RGB values of 128. For more information, see the doentation for your operating system."

    I'm running Windows 98SE and I can't figure out how to set RGB values to 128. I've clicked through all the possibilities in the Display folder in Control Panel and haven't seen anything obvious. I have a NVIDEO GeForce 256 video card. My Win98 manual does not address this.

    Want to take another shot?

    Thanks in advance.
    Larry
    Larry_Sapadin@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Larry,

    I think I can help.

    Bring up your display properties (I ususally right-click on the desktop, and
    choose Properties), and select the Appearance tab.

    In the lower portion of the Appearance tab, make sure that the "Item"
    drop-down is set to Desktop -- then to the right of the Item field, click
    the drop-down arrow under Color. This brings up a limited color-picker
    menu, but at the bottom is a button that says Other... click it.

    NOW you've got the full color-picker. Click in one of the Custom Color
    boxes (like a pigeon hole to store your soon-to-be-defined color). Then, at
    the right, enter 128 in the Red, Green, Blue fields. Click "Add to Custom
    Colors", then OK.

    By now you'll be back at the main Display Properties dialog, and able to see
    the sample screen with the new color as background. Click OK to use that
    color and close the dialog.

    Happy Gamma-ing!!

  8. #8

    Byron,

    Worked like a charm. You certainly know your way around Photoshop and its related issues.

    I performed the calibration, which begins by having you set the contrast to its maxiumum level. The literature never exactly says whether you're supposed to reduce the contrast once the monitor is calibrated. I'm leaving it as is. Is that correct?

    Thanks again. You are a great (and generous) resource.

    Larry
    Larry_Sapadin@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Larry,

    You are correct to leave the controls as they are once you complete the
    Gamma adjustment.

    It is heartening to know that my advice was helpful, but the true thanks
    belong to the people on this forum who helped me get started, in the first
    place. Whether vicariously, or directly, I've learned more via this forum
    than from all of the books and tutorials I've read, combined.

    Stick around and enjoy!

  10. #10

    Byron,
    Thanks so much for your input. I was clicking on Gamma.exe not .cpl; that's why it wouldn't start.
    Sally
    Sally_Weigand@adobeforums.com Guest