Professional Web Applications Themes

Gamma setting - Adobe Photoshop Elements

My photos look fine in jpeg viewer in Windows XP Pro. When I load PE2 I have to adjust with gamma settings on my monitor in control panel. Why? I'm considering going to Microsoft® Digital Image Pro 9...

  1. #1

    Default Gamma setting

    My photos look fine in jpeg viewer
    in Windows XP Pro.

    When I load PE2 I have to adjust with gamma settings on my monitor in control panel.

    Why?
    I'm considering going to
    Microsoft® Digital Image Pro 9
    Keith8 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gamma setting

    Keith8,

    Are you using Color Management in PSE? What is it set for under Edit>Color Settings; Full Color Mgnt, Limited CM or none?
    Nancy S Guest

  3. #3

    Keith8,

    ZD Net review has this to say about MS Digital Image Pro 9

    "Picture It Digital Image Pro is the perfect outlet for digital photography fans who want to clean up their images without facing Photoshop Elements' steep learning curve."
    Nancy S Guest

  4. #4

    Keith, have you calibrated your monitor using Adobe Gamma? You're witnessing the variation in color that comes with viewing the same image in Elements, which is a color managed application, and the other applications or viewers, which are not.

    Your decision on changing to a different software should be based on what you intend to do with those images you're viewing. Will you be wanting to print them? Or are you just interested in computer viewing?

    If you want to print them, the bigger concern will be getting a match between what you see on the screen and what the pictures look like when they come off the printer. A number of things enter into this - correct monitor calibration, the color management settings you choose, the printer you have, the ink you're using, and the paper you print on. Each plays a role.

    Using Elements is a heck of a lot of fun, but there's also work that goes into it. It's not for everybody. And, yes, those of us who hang out on this forum probably are kind of "elitists" on this subject! :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  5. #5

    Beth, spelling bee wiz I am not nor do i understand what many words describe... " elitists " is one of them.

    Nancy, I don't know for sure but i don't remember feeling like PE had a steep learning curve. The 'learn by doing' process I went through when first opening the program was more fun than work. I suppose there are those who just want a 'one click ' program for a quick fix and then i guess Elements would be a little much to grasp now that I think of it.....i'm rambling...sorry
    Jodi Frye Guest

  6. #6

    Jodi,

    I'd say that learning the concept of layers and the whole pixel/resolution/dpi/ppi thang takes concentration and study. You echo what I believe is ZD's main point, the Microsoft Picture It program is a more limited program with limited user input/control but quite 'one button' automated.

    elitists = elite (top of the heap, special few, best of the best and so on)
    Nancy S Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Nancy, ya i feel like an idiot now...I knew what 'elite' meant just never read it with 'ists' on the end of it. Ya, I'm elite, my toilet seat is gold plated and I use dollar bills for toily tissue. ;) oh, and I use Adobe products.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  8. #8

    Jodi,

    It barely resembles the word elite when viewed, just kinda throws you off the meaning. I was quite sure you knew the meaning of elite, hope I didn't hurt your feelings, I was just being my annoyingly 'detail oriented' self... it drives my husband up the wall :)
    Nancy S Guest

  9. #9

    Nancy, we're all very glad you're detail-oriented - your answers on the
    forum are fantastic, and many have taken up permanent residence in my
    Photoshop Tips file!

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  10. #10

    Oh Chuck,

    You always have a kind word for everyone, you are such a sweetie <vbg)
    Nancy S Guest

  11. #11

    I wished I could produce such a nice sentence that would make me a sweetie too. ;-(

    Leen

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  12. #12

    Oh Leen,

    I think you are a sweetie too...
    Nancy S Guest

  13. #13

    Thank you Nancy; it took me 55 years...
    It is a real boost to my self confidence.
    I think I love you too.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest