Professional Web Applications Themes

GeForce4 card - Debian

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:27:11PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote: > At 08:11 PM 7/17/2003 +0100, john gennard wrote: > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" > > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice" > >(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No such > >device. > >(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device > >(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse" > > The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS > system. You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to > /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: GeForce4 card

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:27:11PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
    > At 08:11 PM 7/17/2003 +0100, john gennard wrote:
    > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    >
    > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    > >(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No such
    > >device.
    > >(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
    > >(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
    >
    > The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
    > system. You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
    > /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative designation ??
    >
    > Edit your XF86Config file and change the references to "\dev\input\mice" to
    > "\dev\psaux".
    Based on the copied output, /dev/psaux is already there and loaded. The
    default XF86Config-4 seems to include to mouse definitions, /dev/psaux
    and /dev/input/mice. I have both in my config and have seen no problems
    from them.

    --
    Jamin W. Collins

    To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
    and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
    human being will fight. -- E.E. mings

    Jamin W. Collins Guest

  2. #2

    At 01:41 PM 7/17/2003 -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
    >On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:27:11PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
    > > At 08:11 PM 7/17/2003 +0100, john gennard wrote:
    > > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    > >
    > > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    > > >(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No such
    > > >device.
    > > >(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
    > > >(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
    > >
    > > The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
    > > system. You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
    > > /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative
    > designation ??
    > >
    > > Edit your XF86Config file and change the references to
    > "\dev\input\mice" to
    > > "\dev\psaux".
    >
    >Based on the copied output, /dev/psaux is already there and loaded. The
    >default XF86Config-4 seems to include to mouse definitions, /dev/psaux
    >and /dev/input/mice. I have both in my config and have seen no problems
    >from them.
    Are you using DEVFS ?? I don't and seem to recall either removing the
    entries for /dev/input/mice or commenting them out. I probably wouldn't
    have done that unless there was a problem that brought this "section" to my
    attention. ;-)

    If you are using DEVFS, it sets up symlinks from the "new" device names to
    the old-style names, doesn't it ?? In the case of XFree86, that's obviously
    unnecessary though.

    Regards
    Hall

    Hall Stevenson Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 04:21:27PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
    > Are you using DEVFS ?? I don't and seem to recall either removing the
    > entries for /dev/input/mice or commenting them out. I probably
    > wouldn't have done that unless there was a problem that brought this
    > "section" to my attention. ;-)
    >
    > If you are using DEVFS, it sets up symlinks from the "new" device
    > names to the old-style names, doesn't it ?? In the case of XFree86,
    > that's obviously unnecessary though.
    On some of my system I'm using devfs and some not. The symlinks are
    created by devfsd IIRC which is seperate from devfs.

    --
    Jamin W. Collins

    Jamin W. Collins Guest

  4. #4

    Try one of the following:

    a) Change the Generic Mouse protocol to ImPS/2
    b) Change the Configured Mouse to point to /dev/psaux
    c) If you have a Logitec Mouse, try use the MouseManPlusPS/2 protocol.

    Johnny.
    > Subject:
    > GeForce4 card
    > From:
    > john gennard <joneyclara.co.uk>
    > Date:
    > Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:11:22 +0100
    > To:
    > [email]debian-userlists.debian.org[/email]
    >

    >I purchased a GeForce4 MX440 AGP8x 128Mb DDR VIVO DVI VGA card.

    <snip>
    >'Startx' opened a screen (even showing the login panel), but
    >then aborted. The error messages refer to the mouse and
    >configuration I did not include (maybe came from 'mdetect').
    >I did a little googling, and it seems they may be because I
    >have an optical PS/2 wheel mouse. I have another box also
    >with the same type of mouse and the XF86Config-4 file on
    >that is identical in the mouse sections (the graphics card and
    >monitor sections are different though).
    >
    >I can't work out what is causing the problem. Can anyone
    >please help. John.
    >
    >The section of the log file relating to the errors is:-
    >---------------------
    >(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    >(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
    >(**) Option "CorePointer"
    >(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
    >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    >(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
    >(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    >(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
    >(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    >(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
    >(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    >(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
    >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    >(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No such device.
    >(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
    >(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
    >(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
    >(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
    >
    >Fatal server error:
    >Caught signal 11. Server aborting

    John Stevenson Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:50:07 +0200, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
    >> The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
    >> system.
    AFAIK the input layer has nothing to do with devfs. PS/2 mice should use
    /dev/psaux, wether devfs or not. USB mice use /dev/input/*, wether devfs
    or not. Could be wrong though...

    Still, this is not the problem. The X logs show that in fact a second
    mouse was configured. The error is somewhere else. To John: Please post
    more of the logfile, especially the final 20 lines.
    >> You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
    >> /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative
    >> designation ??
    Both is possible with devfs. When you install devfsd, it is even the
    default.
    >> Edit your XF86Config file and change the references to
    >> "\dev\input\mice" to "\dev\psaux".
    John: No, don't do that. You have a perfectly working mouse configured.
    > Based on the copied output, /dev/psaux is already there and loaded. The
    > default XF86Config-4 seems to include to mouse definitions, /dev/psaux
    > and /dev/input/mice. I have both in my config and have seen no problems
    > from them.
    It depends - you can mark input devices as optional in XF86Config. Then a
    missing/failing device doesn't stop the X server. The default "generic mouse"
    entry is marked optional IMHO.

    --
    Best Regards, | Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
    Sebastian | your ~/.signature to help me spread!

    Sebastian Kapfer Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:27:11PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
    > At 08:11 PM 7/17/2003 +0100, john gennard wrote:
    > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    >
    > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    > >(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No such
    > >device.
    > >(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
    > >(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
    >
    > The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
    > system. You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
    > /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative designation ??

    I have CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS compiled into all my kernels, presume this
    is what you refer to.
    My disks are referred to as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb, with partitions
    hda2 to hda6 and hdb8 in use for Woody.
    > Edit your XF86Config file and change the references to "\dev\input\mice" to
    > "\dev\psaux".

    In view of other advice, I haven't tried this.

    Thanks, John.
    > Good luck
    > Hall

    john gennard Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:41:31PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:27:11PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
    > > At 08:11 PM 7/17/2003 +0100, john gennard wrote:
    > > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    > >
    > > >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    > > >(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No such
    > > >device.
    > > >(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
    > > >(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
    > >
    > > The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
    > > system. You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
    > > /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative designation ??
    > >
    > > Edit your XF86Config file and change the references to "\dev\input\mice" to
    > > "\dev\psaux".
    >
    > Based on the copied output, /dev/psaux is already there and loaded. The
    > default XF86Config-4 seems to include to mouse definitions, /dev/psaux
    > and /dev/input/mice. I have both in my config and have seen no problems
    > from them.

    This is the position on a second box, and there are no problems there.
    However, as I mentioned that has an old S3 card and doesn't use 'vesa'

    Thanks, John.
    > --
    > Jamin W. Collins
    >
    > To be nobody but yourself when the whole world is trying it's best night
    > and day to make you everybody else is to fight the hardest battle any
    > human being will fight. -- E.E. mings
    >

    > --
    john gennard Guest

  8. #8

    On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:34:09PM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:50:07 +0200, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
    >
    > >> The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
    > >> system.
    >
    > AFAIK the input layer has nothing to do with devfs. PS/2 mice should use
    > /dev/psaux, wether devfs or not. USB mice use /dev/input/*, wether devfs
    > or not. Could be wrong though...
    >
    > Still, this is not the problem. The X logs show that in fact a second
    > mouse was configured. The error is somewhere else. To John: Please post
    > more of the logfile, especially the final 20 lines.

    It was the last 20 lines that I posted.
    However, things have now changed slightly. I always boot from floppies,
    and have a number of kernels configured. Normally, I use 2.2.20, and
    that is the one I used before posting. Now I have booted with 2.4.21,
    and get a slightly different logfile and behaviour.

    Booting gets to a screen (after a pause and some horizontal lines.
    The screen eventually appears normal and the kdm login appears, looking
    normal. The mouse works, so I can opt for user or root, and the
    keyboard allows me to enter the passwords. Pressing 'enter', however,
    doesn't launch kde, it merely loops back to an empty login screen.
    If I enter a console and run 'startx', this fails with a error
    message saying 'server running - remove lock file etc'. But there's
    no lock file in /tmp to remove. The end of the logfile now reads:-

    ----------
    (II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
    (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
    PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M
    (II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
    (**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "PS/2"
    (**) Option "CorePointer"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    (==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
    (**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
    (**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    (**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
    (**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    (**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
    No such device.
    (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
    (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
    (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
    ------------------

    An extract from the XF86Config-4 file is:-
    ------------------

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "GeForceMX440"
    Driver "vesa"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Belinea103065"
    HorizSync 30-86
    VertRefresh 50-150
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "GeForceMX440"
    Monitor "Belinea103065"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection

    ----[snip-------

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice "Generic Mouse"
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    ### END DEBCONF SECTION
    -----------------
    > >> You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
    > >> /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative
    > >> designation ??
    >
    > Both is possible with devfs. When you install devfsd, it is even the
    > default.
    >
    > >> Edit your XF86Config file and change the references to
    > >> "\dev\input\mice" to "\dev\psaux".
    >
    > John: No, don't do that. You have a perfectly working mouse configured.

    Thanks, No I did not.

    I'm well into my seventies, and was near seventy when I got my first
    computer. I've always managed to have a rock solid Debian installation
    (slink, potato and now woody), but when I have problems going into
    new areas, I've not yet become very good at problem solving (no
    basic overall knowledge).

    Many thanks for your help.

    Regards, John.

  9. #9

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:30:22PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
    > Booting gets to a screen (after a pause and some horizontal lines.
    > The screen eventually appears normal and the kdm login appears,
    > looking normal. The mouse works, so I can opt for user or root, and
    > the keyboard allows me to enter the passwords. Pressing 'enter',
    > however, doesn't launch kde, it merely loops back to an empty login
    > screen. If I enter a console and run 'startx', this fails with a
    > error message saying 'server running - remove lock file etc'. But
    > there's no lock file in /tmp to remove.
    What does "ls -la /tmp" return?

    When X loops back the login manager, there is normally an error listed
    in the ~/.xsession-errors for the user that can't log in. Does this
    file contain anything?

    --
    Jamin W. Collins

    This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
    of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar

    Jamin W. Collins Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:40:13 +0200, john gennard wrote:
    >> The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
    >> system. You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
    >> /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative designation ??
    >>
    > I have CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS compiled into all my kernels, presume this
    > is what you refer to.
    No. devpts is a precursor of devfs. More info is somewhere in the kernel
    doc packages. (Doentation/filesystems)

  11. #11

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:44:25AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:30:22PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
    >
    > > Booting gets to a screen (after a pause and some horizontal lines.
    > > The screen eventually appears normal and the kdm login appears,
    > > looking normal. The mouse works, so I can opt for user or root, and
    > > the keyboard allows me to enter the passwords. Pressing 'enter',
    > > however, doesn't launch kde, it merely loops back to an empty login
    > > screen. If I enter a console and run 'startx', this fails with a
    > > error message saying 'server running - remove lock file etc'. But
    > > there's no lock file in /tmp to remove.
    >
    > What does "ls -la /tmp" return?

    ---------------
    total 36
    drwxrwxrwt 9 root root 4096 Jul 19 09:19 .
    drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Jul 19 2003 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 2 john john 4096 Jul 19 09:19 .ICE-unix
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 11 Jul 19 09:19 .X0-lock
    drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Jul 19 09:19 .X11-unix
    drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 Jul 19 09:09 .font-unix
    drwx------ 2 john john 4096 Jul 19 09:19 kde-john
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jul 19 09:13 kde-root
    drwx------ 2 john john 4096 Jul 19 09:19 ksocket-john
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jul 19 09:13 ksocket-root
    --------------

    But, I assure you '.X0-lock' was not there when I looked on
    a previous boot attempt. It now contains only '441'.
    > When X loops back the login manager, there is normally an error listed
    > in the ~/.xsession-errors for the user that can't log in. Does this
    > file contain anything?

    Yes, the following:-

    ------------
    _KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
    DCOPServer up and running.
    kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
    kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
    KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
    kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
    kdeinit: Exit.
    ------------

    Yet another puzzle (at least to me) - on my other box where
    Woody works normally, /tmp/.ICE-unix is not set to root, it's
    set exactly the same as here - i.e. john (user).

    From Sebastian Kapfe's latest posting it seems that I have
    compiled DEVPTS_FS into my kernels and this is not the
    same as DEVFS. Could this be the answer? I can easily
    recompile.

    I've had a look at Knoppix, and that has DEVFS. Also, I
    note it avoids my problem by using Xserver-xfree86= 4.3.0-0ds4,
    calls the card 'generic' and uses the 'nv' driver.

    I'm very grateful for all the interest and help. I would
    like to solve this - I may learn something.

    Regards, John.

  12. #12

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:07:30PM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:40:13 +0200, john gennard wrote:
    >
    > >> The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
    > >> system. You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
    > >> /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative designation ??
    > >>
    > > I have CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS compiled into all my kernels, presume this
    > > is what you refer to.
    >
    > No. devpts is a precursor of devfs. More info is somewhere in the kernel
    > doc packages. (Doentation/filesystems)

    Thanks, if this points to the reason for my problem, I'll
    recompile now. If not I'll do it later. See my response to
    Jamin W. Collin who asked for some more info.

    Regards, John.