Professional Web Applications Themes

general ideas for cleaning-up and keeping-clean my linux box - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, After several RH8.0 re-install/upgrading attempts, I have been emotionally haunted by the idea to cleanup and then consolidate the system. The system now is crowded with quite some obsolete things I want to remove or update systematically. For instance, I have downloaded and installed mozilla on /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla later for v1.4, and I dislike the presence of /home/bin/mozilla, /usr/bin/mozilla. Could I just delete them and ln -s the v1.4 to them? Or should I manually check other libs for possible cleanup? (mozilla is just an example, I got many executables under /home/sbin/, perhaps owing to RH8.0 reinstallation, could I just ...

  1. #1

    Default general ideas for cleaning-up and keeping-clean my linux box

    Hello,

    After several RH8.0 re-install/upgrading attempts, I have
    been emotionally haunted by the idea to cleanup and then
    consolidate the system. The system now is crowded with quite
    some obsolete things I want to remove or update systematically.

    For instance, I have downloaded and installed mozilla on
    /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla later for v1.4, and I dislike the
    presence of /home/bin/mozilla, /usr/bin/mozilla. Could I just
    delete them and ln -s the v1.4 to them? Or should I manually
    check other libs for possible cleanup? (mozilla is just an
    example, I got many executables under /home/sbin/, perhaps
    owing to RH8.0 reinstallation, could I just move them to
    /sbin/ or what?).

    Another set of problem is libs. This is mainly invoked by
    the grand updating to sendmail 8.12.9 (haven't succeeded yet).
    It depends some libs and then the some libs depends on some
    other libs until the glibc 2.3.x etc. Is there a way to
    check those dependencies and update them to a higher level
    together safely? apt-get IIRC, cause me this night to re-install
    RH8.0 (no complaint about apt-get, perhaps network pb etc. anyway,
    no data lost!).

    In the end, I am tempted to update the kernel. Is it necessary?
    (The host runs apache, sendmail, vsftpd. Internet tools are daily
    used. Programming languages such as Perl, C/C++, Java etc is
    regularly/hobbily used. service such as bind is forseen.)

    In the end's end, I am also seeing the idea to upgrade to
    RH9.0. After a glance on RH website, it seems that there are
    not so much 'computing' updating from RH8.0 to RH9.0, am I right?

    And what procedures should I take to prevent messing up (at
    least the feeling of) the system. Concretely, I want to update
    Mozilla again :-)

    BTW, I have a mini concrete pb when starting up: /etc/rd.3/..kudu..
    unicode_start not found. What does the error tell? How could I
    cure it?

    Thanks for your help,
    Wenjie
    Wenjie Guest

  2. #2

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:00:53 -0700, Wenjie wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > After several RH8.0 re-install/upgrading attempts, I have
    > been emotionally haunted by the idea to cleanup and then
    > consolidate the system. The system now is crowded with quite
    > some obsolete things I want to remove or update systematically.
    >
    > For instance, I have downloaded and installed mozilla on
    > /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla later for v1.4, and I dislike the
    > presence of /home/bin/mozilla, /usr/bin/mozilla. Could I just
    > delete them and ln -s the v1.4 to them? Or should I manually
    > check other libs for possible cleanup? (mozilla is just an
    > example, I got many executables under /home/sbin/, perhaps
    > owing to RH8.0 reinstallation, could I just move them to
    > /sbin/ or what?).
    >
    > Another set of problem is libs. This is mainly invoked by
    > the grand updating to sendmail 8.12.9 (haven't succeeded yet).
    > It depends some libs and then the some libs depends on some
    > other libs until the glibc 2.3.x etc. Is there a way to
    > check those dependencies and update them to a higher level
    > together safely? apt-get IIRC, cause me this night to re-install
    > RH8.0 (no complaint about apt-get, perhaps network pb etc. anyway,
    > no data lost!).
    >
    > In the end, I am tempted to update the kernel. Is it necessary?
    > (The host runs apache, sendmail, vsftpd. Internet tools are daily
    > used. Programming languages such as Perl, C/C++, Java etc is
    > regularly/hobbily used. service such as bind is forseen.)
    >
    > In the end's end, I am also seeing the idea to upgrade to
    > RH9.0. After a glance on RH website, it seems that there are
    > not so much 'computing' updating from RH8.0 to RH9.0, am I right?
    >
    > And what procedures should I take to prevent messing up (at
    > least the feeling of) the system. Concretely, I want to update
    > Mozilla again :-)
    >
    > BTW, I have a mini concrete pb when starting up: /etc/rd.3/..kudu..
    > unicode_start not found. What does the error tell? How could I
    > cure it?
    >

    > Thanks for your help,
    > Wenjie
    It sounds like the best thing you could do is a fresh reinstall. And some
    "good-practice" for in the future, don't update a whole distribution which
    uses rpm. Debian is the only one which can deal with this problem. Don't
    use apt-tools on Redhat, Redhat uses rpm if you start mixing the two
    everything will go wrong. If you still need to install a apt package on
    Redhat, use alien to convert from .deb to .rpm. Don't install binaries in
    /home/bin or /home/sbin, if you compile sources install them in
    /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin. If your users want to compile sources let
    them install it in their home directories.
    If you want to install compiled sources in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /sbin,
    /bin use checkinstall [[url]http://checkinstall.izto.org/][/url] it transforms make
    install into an rpm. If you are running a server, only update if you need
    the feature which is in the new version, or if it fixes a security bug
    (I know servers which still use RH 6.2).

    Good luck,

    Anton
    rootshell Guest