Professional Web Applications Themes

Getting into Photography - Photography

I've been taking pictures lately with my HP 3MP digital camera and I've been getting a lot of compliments on my picture taking ability (even from a professional photographer). Unfortunately my digital camera is a P&S with very limited settings I control. I do have a Canon AE-1 Program 35mm camera lying around that I've had for close to 20 yrs now. I've never been that interested in photography until now (the compliments help). What I would like to know is, is the AE-1 Program a decent amateur 35mm for me to start out with? If so, should I just ...

  1. #1

    Default Getting into Photography

    I've been taking pictures lately with my HP 3MP digital camera and I've been
    getting a lot of compliments on my picture taking ability (even from a
    professional photographer). Unfortunately my digital camera is a P&S with
    very limited settings I control. I do have a Canon AE-1 Program 35mm camera
    lying around that I've had for close to 20 yrs now. I've never been that
    interested in photography until now (the compliments help). What I would
    like to know is, is the AE-1 Program a decent amateur 35mm for me to start
    out with? If so, should I just go out and start taking pictures and playing
    with the settings (making notes of what I did of course) to see what the
    results would be?

    Dave

    David G. Stinner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Getting into Photography

    "David G. Stinner" <davestinner.com> wrote in message
    news:FjsLa.37643$2D1.9271145news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.n et...
    > I've been taking pictures lately with my HP 3MP digital camera and I've
    been
    > getting a lot of compliments on my picture taking ability (even from a
    > professional photographer). Unfortunately my digital camera is a P&S with
    > very limited settings I control. I do have a Canon AE-1 Program 35mm
    camera
    > lying around that I've had for close to 20 yrs now. I've never been that
    > interested in photography until now (the compliments help). What I would
    > like to know is, is the AE-1 Program a decent amateur 35mm for me to start
    > out with? If so, should I just go out and start taking pictures and
    playing
    > with the settings (making notes of what I did of course) to see what the
    > results would be?
    >
    > Dave

    The AE1 is a fine camera to start with. But rather than just taking notes
    on settings you've tried, why not just buy a book on basic photography to
    get grounded on the basics? It is actually pretty easy.

    John

    John O. Guest

  3. #3

    "David G. Stinner" <davestinner.com> wrote in message
    news:FjsLa.37643$2D1.9271145news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.n et...
    > I've been taking pictures lately with my HP 3MP digital camera and I've
    been
    > getting a lot of compliments on my picture taking ability (even from a
    > professional photographer). Unfortunately my digital camera is a P&S with
    > very limited settings I control. I do have a Canon AE-1 Program 35mm
    camera
    > lying around that I've had for close to 20 yrs now. I've never been that
    > interested in photography until now (the compliments help). What I would
    > like to know is, is the AE-1 Program a decent amateur 35mm for me to start
    > out with? If so, should I just go out and start taking pictures and
    playing
    > with the settings (making notes of what I did of course) to see what the
    > results would be?
    >
    > Dave
    If you can afford it, get a better digicam with manual setting capability.
    It has advantages for a learner over film. You can see the results quickly,
    with helps learning. You'll even learn from the small images on an LCD
    screen, for example in setting exposure.

    It costs you nothing to take many pictures, unless you print other than the
    few best. In fact, if you do some back-of-envelope calculations, you'll
    find that it is cheaper to learn on a digicam than on a film camera.

    Part of learning photography is learning to improve photos in the darkroom.
    You can do it on a computer with excellent software that sells for about
    $100, with no ocnsumabe costs until you print the few you like best,

    Marvin Margoshes Guest

  4. #4

    x-no-archive: yes
    "Patrick L." <niceworkifyoucangetit.com> wrote in message
    news:zN9Na.24843$C83.2316310newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...

    > David G. Stinner <davestinner.com> wrote in message
    > news:FjsLa.37643$2D1.9271145news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.n et...
    > > I've been taking pictures lately with my HP 3MP digital camera and I've
    > been
    > > getting a lot of compliments on my picture taking ability (even from a
    > > professional photographer). Unfortunately my digital camera is a P&S
    with
    > > very limited settings I control. I do have a Canon AE-1 Program 35mm
    > camera
    > > lying around that I've had for close to 20 yrs now. I've never been
    that
    > > interested in photography until now (the compliments help). What I
    would
    > > like to know is, is the AE-1 Program a decent amateur 35mm for me to
    start
    > > out with? If so, should I just go out and start taking pictures and
    > playing
    > > with the settings (making notes of what I did of course) to see what the
    > > results would be?

    No point in reinventing the wheel. Instead of trial and error, buy some
    books. Michael Freeman's "35mm Handbook" and "John Hedgecoe's Photography
    Course" come to mind. Kodak's "The Joy of Photography" and "How To Take
    Good Pictures" are filled with practical information, and are worded so even
    novices can understand the concepts.

    Try to learn one thing at a time. Master the concept. Your photos will
    show some degree of improvement immediately. Don't try to immerse yourself
    in everything at once--you will be overwhelmed. Remember that any image is
    better than no image. No image is, theoretically, "perfect." Start with
    the tools at your disposal, and better tools will become available to you as
    you progress.

    You might also check out the Agfa online photo courses:

    [url]http://www.agfanet.com/en/cafe/photocourse/cont_index.php3[/url]

    Jeremy Guest