Professional Web Applications Themes

Getting to DOS with Grub -- is my linux box fried?! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have an older machine that has win98 on one partition and mandrake on another (don't remember the exact version, sorry). I don't have Partition Magic or a similar program available, and needed to break the linux partition up into two smaller partitions I would reformat and put linux back on one and make the other a common data partition win98 and linux could both use since win98 can't see the linux partition. I thought it would make sense to delete the linux partitions other than the dos partition from dos using dos fdisk and then reboot into dos where ...

  1. #1

    Default Getting to DOS with Grub -- is my linux box fried?!

    I have an older machine that has win98 on one partition and mandrake
    on another (don't remember the exact version, sorry). I don't have
    Partition Magic or a similar program available, and needed to break
    the linux partition up into two smaller partitions I would reformat
    and put linux back on one and make the other a common data partition
    win98 and linux could both use since win98 can't see the linux
    partition. I thought it would make sense to delete the linux
    partitions other than the dos partition from dos using dos fdisk and
    then reboot into dos where I was going to create two small partitions
    and format them. Whether that was a stupid idea or the wrong way to go
    about this isn't too important. What's important is that now when I
    reboot, I load into the grub shell (mandrake used grub as its
    bootloader). This isn't what I expected. While in fdisk, I had set my
    primary dos partition to be the active partition, which I thought
    meant that it would take over the boot sector (I'm far from an expert
    on file system/ partitioning issues, as I'm sure is obvious by now)
    and I would boot into win98 rather than grub. So now I'm in the grub
    shell but can't go anywhere. I don't think I can load linux anymore
    because I've wiped out its partition--right? What I think I want to do
    is load back into win98 and sort out the hard drive stuff from there.
    Is there a way to get grub to boot a dos parition? The dos partition
    is just sitting there on my hard drive and is bootable. It seems like
    there should be some easy way to tell grub to boot from there. After
    all, before I wiped out linux I would boot to the pretty grub menu
    rather than the shell, and it knew how to load dos if I chose my win98
    partition. So I suspect the shell knows how too, but I can't figure
    out how to get it to. Is there a solution here? I want to just use a
    boot floppy, but the machine's floppy drive is completely dead and has
    been for a while. Any help would be very much appreciated, as right
    now that machine is completely dead to me and I need it. I apologize
    if this is not 100% relevant to this newsgroup, but since this is a
    grub issue and a setup issue, I didn't know where else to look for
    someone knowledgable. Thanks a lot!
    velvet Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Getting to DOS with Grub -- is my linux box fried?!

    On 21 Dec 2003 20:46:15 -0800, velvet sea wader wrote:

    No, you wiped linux now it is a Micro$not news group problem. :)
    Hope you have a dos rescue disk.

    Now if your search engine is broke, you can use mine

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=remove+linux+partition+fdisk+mbr

    CLick Sort by Date top right.

    other keywords would be fdisk /mbr for 95/98 windows
    and fixboot and fixmbr for NT/2000/XP systems.

    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:46:15 -0800, velvet sea wader wrote:

    Try starting your machine with your first mandrake installation disk in
    your default cd drive.

    If it starts up get as far as the partioning screen and use that tu delete
    all your linux partitions.(in expert mode)
    Click on your now empty part of your disc and select the type of partition
    you want make (and size). I would suggest that you make the first one your
    / partion and then make the second fat32 and follow the machines
    suggestions for the rest.
    If you have Mandrake 9.1 or 9.2 you have no need to have a fat32 partition
    in your linux part of your hard disk as you can access your win part
    directly from mandrake.
    HTH

    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to reply by email

  4. #4

    Neil Ellwood <com> wrote in message news:<com>...
    > Try starting your machine with your first mandrake installation disk in
    > your default cd drive.
    >
    > If it starts up get as far as the partioning screen and use that tu delete
    > all your linux partitions.(in expert mode)
    > Click on your now empty part of your disc and select the type of partition
    > you want make (and size). I would suggest that you make the first one your
    > / partion and then make the second fat32 and follow the machines
    > suggestions for the rest.
    > If you have Mandrake 9.1 or 9.2 you have no need to have a fat32 partition
    > in your linux part of your hard disk as you can access your win part
    > directly from mandrake.
    > HTH[/ref]

    Thanks. However, I don't have the mandrake cd's here, nor do I have
    the win98 cd or any other bootable cd. Is there any way that I can get
    this to work just form the grub shell (or that I can bypass the grub
    shell and coerce the bios to boot the windows partition or the deleted
    linux partition)?
    velvet Guest

  5. #5

    "velvet sea wader" wrote [/ref]
    > I don't have the mandrake cd's here, nor do I have
    > the win98 cd or any other bootable cd.[/ref]
    First off, if you _had_ a working floppy drive and a bootable dos/win9x floppy,
    you'd be able to fix it by doing fdisk/mbr --the snippet of grub in the top half
    of the partition table sector {mbr} gets replaced by that treatment.
    Another choice is to take your hard disk to work and fdisk/mbr it there.
    But yes, even the grub> prompt should be smart enough to redirect your grub
    snippet in the mbr to the dos {or the windows, for that matter} partition. I don't
    think grub really cares what partition is marked active. You might consider
    moving grub to the start of your linux partition instead of leaving it in the MBR, if
    you plan to rely on the active partition flag in future experiments.
    I almost never tinker with grub, but if it was a_linux_ partition in question, you'd do
    two commands, a root command and then a setup command.
    Like root (hd0,0) {that 2nd 0 is to indicate the first partition of hd0}
    setup (hd0) to force changes to mbr snippet of grub,
    or setup (hd0,0) to force changes to snippet of grub at first sectors of the
    first partition of hd0. Glancing at the native install section of info grub I
    suspect the same commands would apply to your case, too. Try it on the dos
    partition first, though, as if it barfs up the boot sector of that partition all you have
    to do is some day borrow a floppy media and drive and do sys c: to fix it.
    You might investigate rigging up a network boot if your motherboard supports it.

    Frank Guest