Professional Web Applications Themes

Getting User Input via Email - ASP

Hi Does anyone know if its possible to create and email HTML forms. Email recipients would then input information to these forms in the same way that they would on a web page. Pressing the submit button would mail the form back, after which it would be separately submitted to an ASP page on the web server for processing. The main reason for this is so we don't have all the issues associated with firewalls and security to deal with. Our corporate mail servers will strip out viruses so that not a problem. Thanks in Advance Tim...

  1. #1

    Default Getting User Input via Email

    Hi

    Does anyone know if its possible to create and email HTML
    forms. Email recipients would then input information to
    these forms in the same way that they would on a web
    page. Pressing the submit button would mail the form
    back, after which it would be separately submitted to an
    ASP page on the web server for processing.

    The main reason for this is so we don't have all the
    issues associated with firewalls and security to deal
    with. Our corporate mail servers will strip out viruses
    so that not a problem.

    Thanks in Advance
    Tim
    Tim M Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Getting User Input via Email

    It all depends on the mail client that the recipient is using. If you
    e-mail someone who's using PINE, that certainly won't work. Just send a
    link and use a web page. I know this is not what you want to do, but trying
    to use e-mail for such purposes would only generate problems.

    Ray at work

    "Tim M" <tim.ckennawatercorporation.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone know if its possible to create and email HTML
    > forms. Email recipients would then input information to
    > these forms in the same way that they would on a web
    > page. Pressing the submit button would mail the form
    > back, after which it would be separately submitted to an
    > ASP page on the web server for processing.
    >
    > The main reason for this is so we don't have all the
    > issues associated with firewalls and security to deal
    > with. Our corporate mail servers will strip out viruses
    > so that not a problem.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    > Tim

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    Tim,
    First, I agree with Ray,....but I think you misunderstand a few
    things that could bite you later.

    If the user clicks a "submit" button in a web form in an email it is
    not going to send the email. It is going to post the data to the
    "target" of the form the same way it would if done in a browser to
    begin with,...there is no difference. The e-mail client's view/edit
    window effectively just becomes a "browser" when the email is in HTML
    format.

    Firewalls & Security
    There are no real issues with Forms & ASP when using Firewalls.
    The only thing sent from the client is the "data" from the form which
    is generally just text. The only thing received by the client is the
    resulting html page generated after the submit. Everything else runs
    only on the web server,...that's what ASP is all about, it is all
    server-side.

    --

    Phillip Windell [CCNA, MVP, MCP]
    [email]pwindellwandtv.com[/email]
    > "Tim M" <tim.ckennawatercorporation.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know if its possible to create and email HTML
    > > forms. Email recipients would then input information to
    > > these forms in the same way that they would on a web
    > > page. Pressing the submit button would mail the form
    > > back, after which it would be separately submitted to an
    > > ASP page on the web server for processing.
    > >
    > > The main reason for this is so we don't have all the
    > > issues associated with firewalls and security to deal
    > > with. Our corporate mail servers will strip out viruses
    > > so that not a problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks in Advance
    > > Tim

    Phillip Windell Guest