Professional Web Applications Themes

Girls and boys... - Photography

  1. #1

    Default Re: Girls and boys...

    > Sorry if I offended you VH-MR2 but I think you might be going a little too
    > far in you quest for equality. Females have never been equal to males or
    > vice-versa. The very best we can all hope for is to live and work in
    > harmony. When someone somewhere in the world all of a sudden realises that
    > girls can do some things better than boys but that this also works in
    > reverse too, we might be a step closer to that goal.
    >
    > JT
    You didn't offend me, I was merely picking you up on a point of law. I
    don't care whether YOU think it is OK to call a team of women 'girls' or
    not, the fact is that it's whether THEY are offended or not that will land
    you in court and if they did so I can guarantee you that you would lose that
    case.

    Whether you agree with this or not is irrelevant and if you want to be
    offended by a fair and friendly warning then I suggest you have an issue you
    must deal with.

    By the way, I have NEVER heard a team of men referred to as 'boys', yet all
    to often I hear of women being referred to as the 'girls'. Indeed, in some
    countries it is hugely offensive to refer to a grown male as a 'boy' so I
    have difficulty believing that the term is widely used.

    VH-MR2 Guest

  2. #2

    Oh God.... here we go again...............

    Watch out 'Boys' & 'Girls' the legal system is gonna getcha.......

    <smile)>
    Trevor C
    Townsville.

    "VH-MR2" <sickoyouNOTREQUIREDZZZZZwarbirdz.net> wrote in message

    > "Auspics" <justthe.groups> wrote in message
    > > You've never heard of a night out with the boys?
    >
    > Not in a work environment
    >
    > > Never heard John Howard talk about "our boys over there"?
    >
    > Nope
    >
    > > Where have you been hiding?
    >
    > I live here, in Australia.
    >
    > > I have a degree of difficulty actually believing you are serious.
    >
    > Most MCP's say the same thing ...

    Pure Emotion Guest

  3. #3

    What bout "guys" ? :D

    =bob=

    "Pure Emotion" <TrevorNOSPAMPureEmotion.com.au> wrote in message
    news:3f0938d4$0$729$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au. ..
    > Oh God.... here we go again...............
    >
    > Watch out 'Boys' & 'Girls' the legal system is gonna getcha.......
    >
    > <smile)>
    > Trevor C
    > Townsville.

    [BnH] Guest

  4. #4

    >By the way, I have NEVER heard a team of men referred to as 'boys',

    you must be really young....
    Biggus The Greatest Guest

  5. #5

    Can't say Wo'man' or Wo'men' cos it has male gender in the title...

    Can't say 'Boy or Girl'....not permotted to use Man or Woman, are we reduced
    to using body parts as descriptions? this has been around for many a
    decade..

    Sheeez and this is the lucky country? we have a legal system that is broken,
    a system of government out of control, and now political correctness beyond
    belief.

    BTW the Per'Son' I'm married too, still likes being referred too as 'Girl'
    and we are in our 50's

    Trevor C
    Townsville.

    "[BnH]" <b18ATiinetDOTnetDOTaus> wrote in message
    news:3f093b57$0$23114$5a62ac22freenews.iinet.net. au...
    > What bout "guys" ? :D
    >
    > =bob=
    >
    > "Pure Emotion" <TrevorNOSPAMPureEmotion.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:3f0938d4$0$729$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au. ..
    > > Oh God.... here we go again...............
    > >
    > > Watch out 'Boys' & 'Girls' the legal system is gonna getcha.......
    > >
    > > <smile)>
    > > Trevor C
    > > Townsville.

    Pure Emotion Guest

  6. #6

    So when does a boy stop being a boy? After an operation? Once he turns
    into a lad? A chap? A guy? A Man? A bloke?

    What about girls? After a different operation? Some weird drugs? Once
    they become a lassie, lady, madam or a chick?

    A girl has the same basic anatomy as a lady, and a boy has the same as
    a man.. so no matter how you look at it, a guy is a boy, and a girl is
    a girl.

    Get over it.

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:24:55 +1000, "VH-MR2"
    <sickoyouNOTREQUIREDZZZZZwarbirdz.net> wrote:

    >> Sorry if I offended you VH-MR2 but I think you might be going a little too
    >> far in you quest for equality. Females have never been equal to males or
    >> vice-versa. The very best we can all hope for is to live and work in
    >> harmony. When someone somewhere in the world all of a sudden realises that
    >> girls can do some things better than boys but that this also works in
    >> reverse too, we might be a step closer to that goal.
    >>
    >> JT
    >
    >You didn't offend me, I was merely picking you up on a point of law. I
    >don't care whether YOU think it is OK to call a team of women 'girls' or
    >not, the fact is that it's whether THEY are offended or not that will land
    >you in court and if they did so I can guarantee you that you would lose that
    >case.
    >
    >Whether you agree with this or not is irrelevant and if you want to be
    >offended by a fair and friendly warning then I suggest you have an issue you
    >must deal with.
    >
    >By the way, I have NEVER heard a team of men referred to as 'boys', yet all
    >to often I hear of women being referred to as the 'girls'. Indeed, in some
    >countries it is hugely offensive to refer to a grown male as a 'boy' so I
    >have difficulty believing that the term is widely used.

    Greg
    CT110 -> CBX250 -> GPX250 -> FZR250R -> FZR600 -> YZFR6
    Greg Guest

  7. #7

    "Biggus The Greatest" <nojunkmailplease-fu_kewhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >By the way, I have NEVER heard a team of men referred to as 'boys',
    >
    > you must be really young....
    I think it's time that the PC "fanatics" pull their head in! .....it has
    got totally out of hand.... the fact that so many people get upset over such
    "non-issue" things, yet they could not give a damn about the real injustices
    in this world really amazes me.

    Perhaps it is just greed!! ....the average "Joe" (am I allowed to call him
    Joe?) can't make money out of starving kids, yet they can get some $$$ if
    the boss asks them their age!!

    Couple this issue with the "Oh, boohoo, I am drunk and I have fallen and
    hurt me knee... I will sue!" issue makes me want to go live on a small
    island somewhere! .....my response would be "you were ed and fell....
    gravity s.... if you want to sue, sue God he "allegedly" made the
    gravity.... but first you will need to prove to the court that God exists."

    Russell Stewart Guest

  8. #8

    In article <3f0920aciridium.webone.com.au>, "VH-MR2" says...

    >By the way, I have NEVER heard a team of men referred to as 'boys', yet all
    >to often I hear of women being referred to as the 'girls'. Indeed, in some
    >countries it is hugely offensive to refer to a grown male as a 'boy' so I
    >have difficulty believing that the term is widely used.

    You need to get out more.

    Andrew Mc Guest

  9. #9

    It would appear from the posts here... We're all MCP in your eyes eh?
    JT

    "VH-MR2" <sickoyouNOTREQUIREDZZZZZwarbirdz.net> wrote in message

    > "Auspics" <justthe.groups> wrote in message
    > > You've never heard of a night out with the boys?
    >
    > Not in a work environment
    >
    > > Never heard John Howard talk about "our boys over there"?
    >
    > Nope
    >
    > > Where have you been hiding?
    >
    > I live here, in Australia.
    >
    > > I have a degree of difficulty actually believing you are serious.
    >
    > Most MCP's say the same thing ...

    Auspics Guest

  10. #10

    i call girls girls and boys boys. who cares what some ultra pc twit thinks?

    > In an exchange in an earlier thread, The poster 'VH-MR2' suggested it was
    > "not OK" to refer to a female in a work environment as a 'girl'. I took
    this
    > quite seriously ...being the person I am I thought I had made all the
    > adjustments to my male attitude that was needed to accommodate modern
    > discrimination laws.
    >
    > It would seem there are (at least) some of us who feel that just providing
    > fair and equal salary and strict adherence to the Workplace Health and
    > Safety issues, is not, in itself, enough to claim a freedom from
    > discrimination. Recognition of "the girls" rights can't be said that way
    > anymore.
    >
    > OK... Discrimination is a two way street although we have probably all -
    at
    > one time or another been in a situation where the mention of (for example)
    > Chinese computer importers in a negative discussion about their lack of
    > ethics has resulted in a cry of 'discrimination against the Chinese'.
    >
    > Perhaps no one bothered to ask a Chinese (Canton or Mandrin speaking) if
    > they actually had a word in their vocabulary to describe ethics or for
    that
    > matter, if they actually knew what this quaintly western business
    > description actually meant.
    >
    > The same ogy now seems to be implied by VH-MR2 in referring to my
    > girls - which of course refers to a team of female employees who work
    > together. So... If it's not OK to describe my female team as girls, it
    must
    > also be improper to refer to the "boys in the lab" when looking for
    someone
    > to blame for the stuff up in processing.
    >
    > For that matter, has the whole world changed so much since I last looked
    > outside that we can no longer have the "back room boys"? If we do away
    with
    > them, who will pay us? Who will stand (or sit) at my aging Durst on
    Saturday
    > night coaxing it into printing faster than it was designed to, just so the
    > "girls" can get the pics back before the patrons leave? Surely it must be
    > one of the 'boys' as we couldn't possibly ask one of the 'girls' to forgo
    > their commissions to sit in the back room?
    >
    > Sorry if I offended you VH-MR2 but I think you might be going a little too
    > far in you quest for equality. Females have never been equal to males or
    > vice-versa. The very best we can all hope for is to live and work in
    > harmony. When someone somewhere in the world all of a sudden realises that
    > girls can do some things better than boys but that this also works in
    > reverse too, we might be a step closer to that goal.
    >
    > JT

    reg-john Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    ahennell Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    Incorrect.

    "Biggus The Greatest" <nojunkmailplease-fu_kewhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >By the way, I have NEVER heard a team of men referred to as 'boys',
    >
    > you must be really young....

    VH-MR2 Guest

  13. #13

    Lionel wrote:
    > I have, in most of mine. And of course the women talk about having a
    > night out with the girls.
    > Also, in every service organisation I've ever worked for (quite a few,
    > over the years), everybody in the place (male or female) refers to the
    > tech's as "the boys in the workshop" & the (usually 95% female) office
    > staff as "the office girls". I've never known anyone in either group to
    > take offence.
    gotta agree here. In emergency service circles, they're always 'boys' &
    'girls' when spoken of with familiarity, and 'men' and 'women' when spoken
    of formally.

    ie:
    - speaking amongst ourselves is "a girls night out" or "watch out, the girls
    will beat you on this assessment task".
    - in a media release, would be the "men and women of XYZ emergency service",
    or "the women competed well against the men".

    oops - am I allowed to refer to competition? Miro aside (and I think we've
    all established that he despises competition), is it PC to compete? Should
    there be different 'competitions' for the Male & Female gender (and did I
    discriminate again there?).

    Perhaps the last statement should have been "the humans (and that's assuming
    we are all humans, I'd hate to discriminate against any aliens, throw-backs,
    or new species emerging or living amongst us) "did some stuff together, in
    which one set of humans (with aforementioned disclaimer) performed slightly
    better (in the given tasks, which may or may not not be representational of
    their overall ability or skill) than the other set of humans." .. hrmm,
    perhaps 'animals' in place of humans, but then someone would complain that's
    derogatory. Perhaps 'lifeform' would be better placed. yes - "the
    lifeforms did stuff" - much better!

    Cheers,
    Andrew :o)

    ahennell Guest

  14. #14

    All very well coming from a male....

    I do believe that Political Correctness has gone overboard, that women (and
    minority groups) seek more than they ought, but in this instance I would NOT
    accept being "one of the girls"... might be cute on the big screen with
    "charlie" but it detracts from the concept that women are equal to men in
    the workplace. In this instance I totally agree that the term "girl" and
    even the term "boy" (if used) is inappropriate in the workplace unless you
    are discussing your children.

    I do however agree with your statements about litigation, living in what is
    claimed to be the 3rd most litigious city in the world.

    "Russell Stewart" <adpotdpixelpix.com.au> wrote in message

    > "Biggus The Greatest" <nojunkmailplease-fu_kewhotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    > > >By the way, I have NEVER heard a team of men referred to as 'boys',
    > >
    > > you must be really young....
    >
    > I think it's time that the PC "fanatics" pull their head in! .....it has
    > got totally out of hand.... the fact that so many people get upset over
    such
    > "non-issue" things, yet they could not give a damn about the real
    injustices
    > in this world really amazes me.
    >
    > Perhaps it is just greed!! ....the average "Joe" (am I allowed to call
    him
    > Joe?) can't make money out of starving kids, yet they can get some $$$ if
    > the boss asks them their age!!
    >
    > Couple this issue with the "Oh, boohoo, I am drunk and I have fallen and
    > hurt me knee... I will sue!" issue makes me want to go live on a small
    > island somewhere! .....my response would be "you were ed and fell....
    > gravity s.... if you want to sue, sue God he "allegedly" made the
    > gravity.... but first you will need to prove to the court that God
    exists."

    VH-MR2 Guest

  15. #15

    If "getting out more" involves hanging around with people who demean women
    then i'll pass thanks very much.

    Remember, i'm talking about in the work place, not down the local pub or at
    home.

    "Andrew Mc" <andrewnospamplease.com> wrote in message
    > In article <3f0920aciridium.webone.com.au>, "VH-MR2" says...
    > >
    > >By the way, I have NEVER heard a team of men referred to as 'boys', yet
    all
    > >to often I hear of women being referred to as the 'girls'. Indeed, in
    some
    > >countries it is hugely offensive to refer to a grown male as a 'boy' so I
    > >have difficulty believing that the term is widely used.
    > >

    > You need to get out more.

    VH-MR2 Guest

  16. #16

    > It would appear from the posts here... We're all MCP in your eyes eh?
    > JT
    apart from those who have failed to grasp the concept that i'm talking about
    the workplace only - yes. But JT, it isn't my issue if some female decides
    to sue your sorry for referring to her as a girl in the workplace, I
    was simply pointing out the issue and you've proven to me that women don't
    yet have equality in the workplace.

    VH-MR2 Guest

  17. #17

    "ahennell" <andrewhennell.com.au.com> wrote in message
    > Lionel wrote:
    > oops - am I allowed to refer to competition? Miro aside (and I think
    we've
    > all established that he despises competition), is it PC to compete? Should
    > there be different 'competitions' for the Male & Female gender (and did I
    > discriminate again there?).
    Sarcasm of course is the lowest form of wit ... I've always felt that
    competition in physical strength should cater for the fact that women are
    not generally as physcially strong as men. However, it really is up to the
    women .. if they feel they are up to the task and wish to compete with the
    men then that's how it should be.

    After all, men are generally stronger but women are generally smarter ;-)
    > Perhaps the last statement should have been "the humans (and that's
    assuming
    > we are all humans, I'd hate to discriminate against any aliens,
    throw-backs,
    > or new species emerging or living amongst us) "did some stuff together, in
    > which one set of humans (with aforementioned disclaimer) performed
    slightly
    > better (in the given tasks, which may or may not not be representational
    of
    > their overall ability or skill) than the other set of humans." .. hrmm,
    > perhaps 'animals' in place of humans, but then someone would complain
    that's
    > derogatory. Perhaps 'lifeform' would be better placed. yes - "the
    > lifeforms did stuff" - much better!
    This is typical male overreaction .... the terms male and female are Ok to
    all but the most ardent of feMANists which make up only a small proportion
    of women. Most of them are like me .. wondering why the hourly contracted
    rates for women are lower than that of the male counterparts, wondering why
    the men can release papers that are accepted without question and pondering
    why everything the equally qualified women write are put past the men who
    question every single decision.

    B.

    VH-MR2 Guest

  18. #18

    Careful now... Referring to parts of my anatomy below the waist could be
    construed by some as a ual reference and I don't like humans of the down
    (or up) facing gender making ual references about my body parts. There is
    the likelihood of derogatory attempts at gender discrimination here. You
    don't happen to have a hidden agenda, do you VH-MR2?

    JT

  19. #19

    VH-MR2 wrote:
    > You know .. a whole bunch of MEN making fun of a serious issue proves the
    > point rather than disproves it.
    So you'll only accept answers from a whole bunch of WOMEN? Is that your point?
    If so, then you have a serious issue that needs dealing with.
    > Doesn't your dog have a name?
    Jessie, thanks for asking, but I she'll always be a cute puppy.

    ahennell Guest

  20. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    ahennell Guest