1/8 stereo minijack), import it into the Powerbook. [ref] > Being a video guy myself I can picture what might be going on -- the tape > might be giving an "unstable" audio signal, much like bad video produces > video dropouts. With bad video, the solution is a time base corrector. I > have no idea how I would fix bad cassette audio.[/ref] I don't think so... I am afraid it's just that you are not using the correct audio-out plugs. I have has the same problems as you, but they were due to not enough RAM (256MB) on my iMac; when I added another 256MB (totalling 512), all glitches etc. had gone. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <1g35550.1x8nlpw3wh0zqN%matteoXYZ1963@jumpy.it> [ref] => <1g341vl.xp7e741o6v0j8N%matt@tidbits.com> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => MatFox [ip] => matteoXYZ1963@j [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 5 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> 1/8 stereo minijack), import it into the > Powerbook.[/ref] I agree.. now if only I had a tape deck with line outs. Haven't had need of one of those in a LONG time.. ;) [ref] > I have has the same problems as you, but they were due to not enough RAM > (256MB) on my iMac; when I added another 256MB (totalling 512), all > glitches etc. had gone.[/ref] My machine has 512 MB of RAM. I'll try it again tonight and I will post an audio sample for people to hear. I'm puzzled by this, I've never heard of this problem before. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => <1g341vl.xp7e741o6v0j8N%matt@tidbits.com> <1g35550.1x8nlpw3wh0zqN%matteoXYZ1963@jumpy.it> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Kevin [ip] => nomail@nospam.i [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 6 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Glitches recording from tape to Mac - Mac Applications & Software

Glitches recording from tape to Mac - Mac Applications & Software

Help! I'm trying to convert a bunch of seminar audio tapes into audio CD's. I'm using a 12" Powerbook (rev B) running X.2.8. When I record the audio from cassette I get weird glitches and pops every so often. Pops I can live with, but the glitches are annoying -- they sound like digital dropouts from a bad cell phone conversation. It happens every minute or two in the recording. The glitches are NOT present in the original tape recording and, if I re- record the same part of the tape, glitches do NOT reoccur in the same places. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Glitches recording from tape to Mac

    Help!

    I'm trying to convert a bunch of seminar audio tapes into audio CD's.

    I'm using a 12" Powerbook (rev B) running X.2.8.

    When I record the audio from cassette I get weird glitches and pops every
    so often. Pops I can live with, but the glitches are annoying -- they
    sound like digital dropouts from a bad cell phone conversation. It happens
    every minute or two in the recording.

    The glitches are NOT present in the original tape recording and, if I re-
    record the same part of the tape, glitches do NOT reoccur in the same places.

    I have tried using several different cassette playback decks with no difference
    (well, one deck had fewer pops and the glitches weren't as bad).

    I'm recording from line-in on the Powerbook, using a couple of programs on
    the Mac: Audio In, Audio Recorder 1.3, and Spark ME. Same problems in each.

    Recording from other sources (i.e. my iPod) does not produce such problems,
    nor does live recording from the built-in mic.

    I can bring the audio into my Windows PC and record there with no problems.
    Please, don't tell me Windows is better at audio recording than the Mac.. ;-)

    Please help me figure out what's going on.

    Thanks!

    Kevin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Glitches recording from tape to Mac

    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    I didn't quite understand what machine this is or how you are getting
    the sound into the computer, but my suggestion is that, since you are
    clearly having some problem with the A/D conversion process, you should
    experiment with getting the sound in some other way (so that A/D happens
    in some other way). For example, try bringing the sound in through the
    USB port (you can do this cheaply with an iMic).

    Alternatively, if this is a machine that will boot into 9, then boot
    into 9 and use Coaster to make the recording. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    matt neuburg <com> wrote:

    I was thinking about that. This is the new 12" Powerbook (just released
    last month) and what I am doing is plugging in a tape player (from a boombox
    or from my walkman) into the line in jack of the Powerbook using a stereo
    audio cable.

    Being a video guy myself I can picture what might be going on -- the tape
    might be giving an "unstable" audio signal, much like bad video produces
    video dropouts. With bad video, the solution is a time base corrector. I
    have no idea how I would fix bad cassette audio.

    Unfortunately it does not. But thank you for the suggestion.

    I'll try more tapes to see if it's the same problem on all tapes (maybe it's
    just the one or two that are bad) and failing that I'll try an iMic.. but
    other than that, I don't know what else to try.

    Thanks.

    Kevin Guest

  4. #4

    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    All I can tell you is that recording on my Pismo in just the manner you
    describe works great. The fact that you can perform the same operation
    the same way on your PC is suggestive. Be sure you have plugged the jack
    very firmly and all the way into the line in. I wonder whether this is a
    defect in the Powerbook...? You might want to raise this with Apple. m.

  5. #5

    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    The problem could be here, as the 1/8 stereo minijack headphones-out
    plug you are using gives out amplified signal, and it could add noises.

    Or the heads of your boombox/walkman need demagnetization.

    The best solution would be to pick the audio-out signal from the
    preamplified RCA plugs (if the machine has them), and with the right
    audio cable (2 RCA plugs---> 1/8 stereo minijack), import it into the
    Powerbook.

    I don't think so... I am afraid it's just that you are not using the
    correct audio-out plugs.

    I have has the same problems as you, but they were due to not enough RAM
    (256MB) on my iMac; when I added another 256MB (totalling 512), all
    glitches etc. had gone.

    MatFox Guest

  6. #6

    MatFox <it> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I'm aware of the noise issues... which I think is reasonable, except that
    the noise from amplified signals going into the line in would be a distortion
    type of noise (clipping etc) while this is more like subtle popping and
    discrete "dropouts" which sound, to me, "digital".

    Possibly. But again, feeding the same signal via the same method into my
    Dell laptop causes no problems. I have not tried the process on a third
    machine.

  7. #7

    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    which app. do you use to record the incoming sound onto the Mac HD?
    I use Sound studio (www.felttip.com). Have you checked that the
    recording volume in not set too high?

    Are you recording into the Mac while others apps are running? Then it
    could be some CPU usage problem.

    I know! That's why I keep an old but perfectly working tape deck in my
    room!

    Please do! I am curious!
    MatFox Guest

  8. #8

    MatFox <it> wrote: [/ref]

    I've used several, including Audio In, Audio Recorder 1.3, Spark ME. All
    do the same thing so it sounds like a system or hardware issue.

    I thought of that. I closed everything I could. But again, recording from
    my iPod under the same conditions, or recording live sound off the in-built
    mic, no problems.
     [/ref]

    Here's a clip: www.notjustjay.com/Recording.mp3

    It's a preacher reading from some scripture in Deuteronomy. The most
    prominent glitches are within the first 10-15 seconds and the last few
    seconds of the clip.

    Again: these glitches are not on the original tape, and they do not reappear
    in the same places when I re-record the same section of the tape. Glitches
    do not occur when recording from other sources.

    Any ideas?

    Kevin Guest

  9. #9

    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    I will download it and listen to it tonight!

    ciao,

    Matteo

    MatFox Guest

  10. #10

    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    Can you make it downloadable?
    MatFox Guest

  11. #11

    MatFox <it> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Err... is it not?

    Kevin Guest

  12. #12

    MatFox <it> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I've added an HTML file which links to it, if it helps you download it (by
    right-clicking the link):

    www.notjustjay.com/mp3.html

    If you're having issues with MIME types, etc (I hope not, it worked for me)
    let me know and I'll work something else out.

    Thanks for the help.

    Kevin Guest

  13. #13

    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    Nop, just streaming.
    MatFox Guest

  14. #14

    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    Ok, got it.

    As you described, the recording is really full of glitches, and results
    pretty bad when listening.

    I have already thought about all the possible causes when discussing
    your points in the thread, so I am afraid I cannot get any better
    idea... I still am in the opinion that it's a CPU problem, though.

    Sorry for not being able to give a more precise answer!

    ciao,

    Matteo

    MatFox Guest

  15. #15

    MatFox <it> wrote:

    Thanks... that's better than "What are you talking about? That's what
    Macs are supposed to record like", which is almost what I was afraid of ;-)

    I've been given a few more tips to try, but if I can't get this working,
    I'm just going to give up on it and use the Windows machine. I'm on a deadline
    to get this stuff done.

    Kevin Guest

  16. #16

    In article <bn250j$u5$ccs.carleton.ca>,
    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    There were major problems with the power supply and fan speed circuits
    on MDD G4 inserting noise pulses into the og -out- on OS9. I never
    heard any complaints about it affecting the input, but that's always a
    possibility. It didn't cause any problem (for me ;-) on OS-X, different
    power management software I guess. If you got a PSU+fan exchange kit
    from Apple the problem is a lot less in OS9, and now noticeab le i n OS-X

    Spark ME is a lovely piece of work, so much like Sound Designer,
    and it's the only thing at its price I've found that knows a
    ProTools HD card has 4 stereo channels and lets me choose which one to
    use.

    But I have noticed minor clicks in the playback. These apppear at
    random, never in the same place twice, and are not visible on the
    waveform display, or on burned CDs. I have reduced their frequency by
    increasing the playback buffer size.
    Peter Guest

  17. #17

    In article <bn250j$u5$ccs.carleton.ca>,
    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    What mp3 encoder are you using?
    Those glitches sound like a thruput problem:
    fragmented file; other processes limiting disk or cpu access;

    Not quite like digital clipping. I got a fright the first time I heard
    that on the G4 og in: there's no soft og limiting on these
    babies :-(

    And another trick: Open up the System Preferences -> Sound.
    Now open up /Applications/Utilities/AudioMidiSetup,
    and then any other apps you have that access Core Audio and have
    an input level control. Position the windows so you can see
    the level control on all open apps. Move one, and watch all the others
    move with it....
    Peter Guest

  18. #18

    Peter KERR <domain> wrote:

    I just threw it into iTunes.. I figured the major issues were large enough
    that I didn't care about info loss via MP3 encoding..

    Interesting. Will play around some more. Thanks for the help!

    Kevin Guest

  19. #19

    In article <bmvfhs$p3i$ccs.carleton.ca>,
    Kevin <invalid> wrote:

    Kevin,
    Is the Powerbook plugged into the mains when you play back, or is it on
    battery? I'm wondering about grounding/static. The Powerbooks can have
    funny voltages across their cases, I've heard.
    Is it a pretty stock installation, or do you run odd stuff, or have USB
    devices attached?

    Is there lots of contiguous blank space on the drive for the scratch
    file. Despite what they say, I think audio/video benefits from disk
    optimisation and lots of room.

    I often digitize audio sessions for editing (with Sound Studio), and
    haven't heard the type of sound you posted. I've found SS to be the most
    reliable at capturing the sound, no matter what else is going on on the
    computer. It does sound like a distortion of the original audio, not a
    complete artifact. In fact, it sounded like there was some very
    saw-toothed ~60 Hz noise in there, and some envelope distortion that
    made the vowels sound like they were reverberating in a long tube. Can
    you get a look at the waveform of the glitch for clues?

    It seemed like the vowels were affected, not popping consonants. The
    speaker's modulation varied a lot, and the randomly-scattered emphasis
    typical of American preacher-talk created some loud vowels. Can you
    check on the tape if the glitches always occur when he emphasIses a
    parTICular VOWel? Your Powerbook sound input may not be able to handle
    such peaks? I forget if your sound source lets you lower the output
    voltage, but that's always worth trying.
    Kent Guest