Professional Web Applications Themes

go to movie and memory management - Macromedia Director Lingo

What type of sound are you using, is it an mp3? If so try importing it as a standard wave file and see if that fixes it. You could also try the 'unload' command, although director should be clearing things from memory itself. Are you change a sprites member after you use the navigate command (sorry I'm running out of ideas)? AstrO "David Downie" <com> wrote in message news:bv6pdg$mbm$macromedia.com...  script  was  It  (ie  chew  between  of  a  this.  --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.569 / Virus Database: 360 - Release Date: ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: go to movie and memory management

    What type of sound are you using, is it an mp3? If so try importing it as a
    standard wave file and see if that fixes it.
    You could also try the 'unload' command, although director should be
    clearing things from memory itself.
    Are you change a sprites member after you use the navigate command (sorry
    I'm running out of ideas)?

    AstrO

    "David Downie" <com> wrote in message
    script
    was
    It
    (ie
    chew
    between
    of

    this.

    ---

    AstrO Guest

  2. #2

    Default go to movie and memory management

    Hi I posted a while ago saying that my projector was crashing (not a script
    error) when I was moving between movies. Eventually I worked out that it was
    caused by playing a click sound prior to issuing a "go to movie" command. It
    was solved by waiting till the click sound had played before going to the
    next movie.

    Or so I thought.

    I'm still getting crashes "go"ing between movies even without the click (ie
    back and forth as little as 5 times). In authoring mode I eventually get
    "Director must quit now" as it has run out of memory. With a projector it
    just crashes. I'm going from a simple movie (70mg) to a smaller simple
    movies (eg 12m or so). There are no complex scripts or lists that might chew
    up memory, at least that I can think of.

    "Go" doesn't save any context does it. Is there any reason why going between
    two movies a few times would cause a crash, perhaps based on running out of
    memory? As I said I can't think of any big memory drains in either movie, a
    few globals, perhaps a few little lists of less than 10 numbers.

    This must have come up before surely as navigation between movies is so
    basic. I'm a bit worried about it as I obviously need to be able to do this.
    I'm at the point where I'm thinking about consolidating some movies.

    Any other ideas? Has this happened to anyone else? I tried a test with 2
    very simple movies, and they seemed happy flicking back and forth, so it
    perhaps has to do with the size of the movies.

    David.

    David Guest

  3. #3

    "AstrO" <astro_beta[nospam]bigpond.com> wrote in message

    All wavs. No I'm not changing a sprite's member after the navigate command
    (made that mistake in the past and you get a different error as crashes
    straight away and seems to try and process it in the next movie).

    I've just replaced my button rollover script with a simple on mouseup go to
    movie script and it doesn't seem to be crashing. That's good news. So I'm
    going to try and build up the script again and see what it doesn't like. I'm
    suspecting Director doesn't like any movement or sounds prior to going
    anyware.

    David Guest

  4. #4

    "David Downie" <com> wrote in

    Any chance the script issues the 'go' command before finishing everything
    else? ie:

    go to movie
    sprite(spriteNum).member = upMem

    If so, try making the 'go' command the last thing the script does.

    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin'

  5. #5

    "Mark A. Boyd" <com> wrote in message

    > Any chance the script issues the 'go' command before finishing everything
    > else? ie:
    >
    > go to movie
    > sprite(spriteNum).member = upMem[/ref]

    No, I've made that mistake before and as far as I'm aware it doesn't. And in
    my experience this tends to result in a script error, as the command is
    executed in the new movie, where it doesn't make any sense.

    I think I've gotten around this. It relates to Directors inability to go to
    another movie just after you play a sound. You need to wait till the sound
    finishes playing. I tried doing that with a flag that's caught in the exit
    frame which exits when the sound channel isn't busy, but for some reason it
    continued to crash horribly with that. What seems to work is JB's suggestion
    of repeat loop sitting it out till the sound plays prior to executing the
    go.

    I consider this another bug with Director I have to work around. That's 3 in
    as many weeks.

    David Guest