Professional Web Applications Themes

Going DSL w/ Mac OS 9, Win95, Win 2K on Network - Mac Applications & Software

It may be that we will eventually go DSL locally sometime soon but we have a real mix of systems here in the house. We are presently using dial-up. My guess is that a router is the need. We'll be mixing: Mac G3/233 beige, w/on-board ethernet (OS 9.2.1) Win95/233 (new ethernet card to be installed) Win2K laptop w/built in ethernet. The peripherals guy at the local computer superstore said there shoukd be no problems setting this up as the DSL tech from the phone company will only have to be concerned with getting a connection through the router once then ...

  1. #1

    Default Going DSL w/ Mac OS 9, Win95, Win 2K on Network

    It may be that we will eventually go DSL locally sometime soon but we
    have a real mix of systems here in the house. We are presently using
    dial-up.

    My guess is that a router is the need.

    We'll be mixing:

    Mac G3/233 beige, w/on-board ethernet (OS 9.2.1)
    Win95/233 (new ethernet card to be installed)
    Win2K laptop w/built in ethernet.

    The peripherals guy at the local computer superstore said there shoukd
    be no problems setting this up as the DSL tech from the phone company
    will only have to be concerned with getting a connection through the
    router once then anything else I hook up to the router will fall into
    place.

    So the magic question is what am I in for?

    What problems can I expect?

    And following that, to overcome them?

    None of these will be using Airport or other wireless devices. The
    systems are all in close proximity of each other and will be hard
    wired with ethernet cables.

    Any suggestions on what router is best.

    This will likely be Verizon DSL in Massachusetts.

    Thanks in Advance.

    Dmk

    e-mail replies welcome as well.
    D. Kirkpatrick Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Going DSL w/ Mac OS 9, Win95, Win 2K on Network

    In article <sunclad-116CC1.00540725062003news.chatlink.com>,
    "D. Kirkpatrick" <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:
    > It may be that we will eventually go DSL locally sometime soon but we
    > have a real mix of systems here in the house. We are presently using
    > dial-up.
    >
    > My guess is that a router is the need.

    try IPNetRouter, from [url]www.sustworks.com[/url]
    Greg De Villiers Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    In article <sunclad-116CC1.00540725062003news.chatlink.com>,
    "D. Kirkpatrick" <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:

    > My guess is that a router is the need.
    >
    > We'll be mixing:
    >
    > Mac G3/233 beige, w/on-board ethernet (OS 9.2.1)
    > Win95/233 (new ethernet card to be installed)
    > Win2K laptop w/built in ethernet.
    >
    > The peripherals guy at the local computer superstore said there shoukd
    > be no problems setting this up as the DSL tech from the phone company
    > will only have to be concerned with getting a connection through the
    > router once then anything else I hook up to the router will fall into
    > place.
    >
    > So the magic question is what am I in for?
    You will have a new piece of equipkment on your desk.

    > What problems can I expect?
    Had none. Our DSL ISP talked me thru setting up the DSL modem.

    > And following that, to overcome them?
    Depends on your ISP, but I have not had to communicate with them after
    the original set up about 10 months ago.

    > None of these will be using Airport or other wireless devices. The
    > systems are all in close proximity of each other and will be hard
    > wired with ethernet cables.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what router is best.
    We have an Actiontec combined DSL modem and ethernet router. All in one
    small neat box. Have several components connected thru the box via
    ethernet including an older printer. The modem is wireless ready, but I
    do not know if it is compatable with both Win and Mac. And, power loss
    does not foul up the modem settings.

    > This will likely be Verizon DSL in Massachusetts.
    Ours is Verizon in Oregon.
    clw@oblivion.world Guest

  6. #6

  7. #7

    "D. Kirkpatrick" <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:
    >Any suggestions on what router is best.
    I love the D-Link. I've used a Linksys and a D-Link and the D-Link's
    http setup interface is way too easy.

    You might want to use your Mac to set up, test and confirm your DSL
    connection directly thru your DSL modem. Once you're set up and you
    know what numbers to enter where, it should be easy.

    Plug your router into the DSL modem's Ethernet port. Use the http
    setup to enter your information. The D-Link makes this a breeze.

    Then plug your computers into the router and and configure them to
    connect via DHCP server. You will just have to enter your router's
    address (probably 192.168.0.1) and you should be good to go.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

    I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    In article <clw-2F7894.06530725062003nntp0.pdx.net>,
    [email]clwoblivion.worl[/email]d wrote:
    > In article <sunclad-116CC1.00540725062003news.chatlink.com>,
    > "D. Kirkpatrick" <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > So the magic question is what am I in for?
    >
    > You will have a new piece of equipkment on your desk.
    Sorry, forgot to add that each of your phones will also have a "filter"
    placed in the line between the wall jack and the phone. These are small
    for desk phones, but mount behind the phone when using a wall mount.
    These filters are so you can use the modem and talk simultaneously on
    the phone line. They work perfectly as far as I can tell (with my age
    limited high frequency loss).

    Our filters came along with the modem.
    clw@oblivion.world Guest

  10. #10

  11. #11

    Hi,

    Any cheap router of approx $100-150 will get you going,

    I would like to suggest though to require from your provider a combined
    router/adsl modem. I don't know if this is the fashion in the US, in Europe
    this is pretty much mainstream. It will save you a lot of hassle.
    Brands very common in Europe are Draytek and Sitecom, with a slight
    preference for the first

    Pitfalls

    Make sure all computers use ip-addresses in the same range/domain/subnet,if
    the router offers it use DHCP to overcome this. In this way you don't have
    to configure DNS and gateways, both my windows and my mac's were more or
    less self-configuring then

    Second thing is configuring your firewall. In case of the Draytek all router
    management and set-up is web-based. The manual also indicates how to open
    "known-ports" like for MSN, AOL, FTP, HTTP, SMTP (e-mail) and certain games.

    If you want to know more send me an e-mail

    PV

    On 25-06-2003 06:54, in article
    [email]sunclad-116CC1.00540725062003news.chatlink.com[/email], "D. Kirkpatrick"
    <suncladsunclad.com> wrote:
    > It may be that we will eventually go DSL locally sometime soon but we
    > have a real mix of systems here in the house. We are presently using
    > dial-up.
    >
    > My guess is that a router is the need.
    >
    > We'll be mixing:
    >
    > Mac G3/233 beige, w/on-board ethernet (OS 9.2.1)
    > Win95/233 (new ethernet card to be installed)
    > Win2K laptop w/built in ethernet.
    >
    > The peripherals guy at the local computer superstore said there shoukd
    > be no problems setting this up as the DSL tech from the phone company
    > will only have to be concerned with getting a connection through the
    > router once then anything else I hook up to the router will fall into
    > place.
    >
    > So the magic question is what am I in for?
    >
    > What problems can I expect?
    >
    > And following that, to overcome them?
    >
    > None of these will be using Airport or other wireless devices. The
    > systems are all in close proximity of each other and will be hard
    > wired with ethernet cables.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what router is best.
    >
    > This will likely be Verizon DSL in Massachusetts.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.
    >
    > Dmk
    >
    > e-mail replies welcome as well.
    Pim Versteeg Guest