Professional Web Applications Themes

Going Nuts with Pop Ads - Mac Networking

Just downloaded IE and every time I go to google, I getting hit with the ads. IE is also very slow--and I can't see where to increase memory. I trashed it and downloaded a fresh install. The ads were back. I never had this problem on 9.1 or with the earlier version of I.E. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks. -- Memory was given to mortals so that they might have roses in December. ....unknown...

  1. #1

    Default Going Nuts with Pop Ads

    --
    kati_e@snow.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Going Nuts with Pop Ads

    In article <giganews.com>,
    com wrote:

    Quit using IE is the best solution. I use Safari as my primary browser
    and Firefox for those few sites that don't work on Safari. They both
    have settings to block pop up ads. I haven't needed to use IE since.

    --
    Rodger
    Rodger Guest

  3. #3

    In article <giganews.com>,
    <com> wrote:

    Delete IE.

    djb

    --
    Was that last sig line lame or what?
    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    In article <giganews.com>,
    com wrote:

    If you're using Mac OS X, there's no longer any need to set the amount of
    memory used by a program -- OS X adjusts automatically, giving each program
    as much memory as it wants. Just make sure you have enough physical RAM
    installed in your Mac for decent performance; I recommend at least 512MB,
    if your Mac and your wallet can handle that much.

    To stop those popup ads, just go to IE's preferences and turn off
    scripting. (It's under Web Browser - Web Content - Active Content.)

    Some web sites won't work right if you have scripting turned off. If
    that's a problem for you, leave it on and instead use IE's Security Zones:
    If you disable scripting for the Internet zone and enable it for the
    Trusted zone, scripting will only work for the web sites that you add to
    the Trusted zone. Or if you enable scripting for the Internet zone and
    disable it for the Restricted zone, scripting will work on all web sites
    except the ones you add to the Restricted zone.
    Wayne Guest

  5. #5

    com wrote:

    Use Safari/Pith Helmet instead.
    George Guest

  6. #6

    Why not use a hosts file? It's systemwide so it works in all browsers and
    blocks them all. Just search Google for "mac hosts file" to get you going.

    http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    Mike Skallas' Ad blocking hosts file

    -- Gnarlie

    Entity com spoke thus:

    Gnarlodious Guest

  7. #7

    In article <giganews.com>,
    com wrote:

    download and use iCab on Mac OS 9. It had the ability to block pop-up
    ads, it was small, fast, has one of the best download managers I've
    seen. Only use IE for a sight that doesn't work with iCab (few and far
    between).

    It was my prime browser when I was on Mac OS 9.

    The only problem with iCab is that it is still under development (like
    for the last 6 or 7 years :-) so it each version expires ever few months
    and you have to download a new version, but like I said, it was small,
    so even downloading on a dialup line doesn't talk too long.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    In article <cac.cpqcorp.net>, Bob
    Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    > download and use iCab on Mac OS 9. It had the ability to block pop-up
    > ads...[/ref]

    The same is true for pretty much every other Mac browser out there,
    *except* IE, no? I use Camino (formerly known as Chimera) and it's
    pop-up blocking and functionality is outstanding.

    -- Jim C.
    James Guest

  9. #9

    In article <giganews.com>,
    <com> wrote:

    Stop using Internet Explorer. While I'm not going to say it's a horrible
    browser (others are free to disagree, on their own time), it's not being
    developed any further. Microsoft stopped doing any work on it after
    Safari 1.0 came out, because the whole idea behind IE 5 for OS X was to
    have a good, clean browser with Mac OS X out of the box. That's no longer
    needed, since Apple is rolling its own.

    By the time IE development work stopped on the Mac, blocking pop-up ads had
    not yet become a priority for them. So, you'll never see that feature,
    other than through the option to turn off all scripting. (And this has its
    own problems.)

    Most other browsers that are being actively developed, including Safari,
    have some mechanism for turning off unrequested pop-ups. I've been happy
    with Mozilla. Safari can turn them off, but does so unilaterally, without
    any way of allowing exceptions. OmniWeb also has pop-up blocking, along
    with a bunch of other interesting features. Take your pick.

    --
    Gregory Pratt users.panix.com
    East Rutherford, NJ, USA (E-mail forwarded to /dev/null)

  10. #10

    On 23 Apr 2004 18:21:41 -0400, Greg Pratt <users.panix.com> did write: [/ref]

    Google does not impose pop-ups. Anyway, the best, system-wide way
    to solve problems like this is with a hosts file that blocks the
    addresses from which the advertising is served; you can find out
    how, and get example hosts files, easily enough with a web or usenet
    search. I have adopted this solution and am spared a good deal of
    all types of advertising on web pages, not just pop-ups.
    Lee Guest

  11. #11

    Lee Phillips <org.invalid> writes:

    True.

    That doesn't do a thing about the pop-ups. What it does,
    however, is block the content which would _appear_ in
    the pop-ups (as well as lots of content which would otherwise
    appear on the main page).

    While I highly recommend a decent /etc/hosts file, it's
    not the answer to the question the OP posted.

    To block pop-ups, get a better browser (ie. Mozilla, Safari,
    OmniWeb, iCab). Or turn off Javascript (though that breaks
    a _lot_ of pages).

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  12. #12

    On 27 Apr 2004 19:39:47 -0400, net <net> did write:

    You're right, of course. I've had pop-ups blocked for so long
    in Safari, and, before that, iCab, that it didn't occur to me
    what would happen if a site tried to serve me a pop-up with
    a source blocked in the host file; I guess a blank window would
    pop up.
    Lee Guest

  13. #13

    Entity Lee Phillips spoke thus:

    > You're right, of course. I've had pop-ups blocked for so long
    > in Safari, and, before that, iCab, that it didn't occur to me
    > what would happen if a site tried to serve me a pop-up with
    > a source blocked in the host file; I guess a blank window would
    > pop up.[/ref]

    Apache is the trick here, it can override those empty boxes with a custom
    error message. Mine includes groovy colors and links to my fave sites, so
    instead of an error message I see my own custom error box.

    To do it, configure file

    /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf

    Search for text:
    Customizable error response

    Make an entry loke:

    ErrorDoent 404 /Errors/Missing.htmi

    Turn on Apache:

    sudo apachectl start

    Then make a webpage "Missing.htmi" in the right folder and you should get a
    cute little custom error box instead of those boring error messages.

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html

    Gnarlodious Guest