Professional Web Applications Themes

going wireless - Mac Portable

I have a 800mhz Ibook. I am thinking of going wireless, the appeal of the internet while watching TV! boy that sounds so sad... Anyway since I have the Ibook I bet I will need an airport card instead of a 3rd party card. What about base units? Do I have to use the airport base station or can I use any others? Thanks, Gary Williams...

  1. #1

    Default going wireless

    I have a 800mhz Ibook. I am thinking of going wireless, the appeal of the
    internet while watching TV! boy that sounds so sad...
    Anyway since I have the Ibook I bet I will need an airport card instead of a
    3rd party card. What about base units? Do I have to use the airport base
    station or can I use any others?

    Thanks,
    Gary Williams

    Gary Williams Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: going wireless

    The Ibook doesn't have any card slots. The airport card would go in an
    internal slot.
    > From what I've heard, you don't have to have an AirPort base station --
    > third-party wireless base stations work as well. However, I think the
    > AirPort base station is significantly easier to configure. (I don't
    > actually have experience in this area, though, as I have the AirPort
    > base.) If that's a concern, I'd probably stick with that rather than
    > trying a third-party solution.
    >
    > --
    > -Thomas
    >
    > <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>

    Gary Williams Guest

  3. #3

    Gary Williams wrote:
    > I have a 800mhz Ibook. I am thinking of going wireless, the appeal of the
    > internet while watching TV! boy that sounds so sad...
    > Anyway since I have the Ibook I bet I will need an airport card instead of a
    > 3rd party card. What about base units? Do I have to use the airport base
    > station or can I use any others?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Gary Williams

    Hello,
    I personnally use a linksys "wireless access point router" quite
    inexpensive and not that hard to configure.
    My cable modem is connected to the linksys
    My PC is connected to the linksys through an standard network RJ45 cable
    and my power book uses its airport card.

    And as you say, surfing the web while watching TV, peacefully resting on
    my sofa without any "wire" is something really nice :-)

    But if I remember right, only the airport base can use the "super high
    bitrate" of an airport extrem card.

    regards

    Jean-Michel Courivaud Guest

  4. #4

    In <3f5c99fequeeg.apci.net> Gary Williams wrote:
    > I have a 800mhz Ibook. I am thinking of going wireless, the appeal of
    > the internet while watching TV! boy that sounds so sad... Anyway since
    > I have the Ibook I bet I will need an airport card instead of a 3rd
    > party card.
    Yes. You have no PCMCIA slot, so you must use the Apple-branded card
    that goes under the keyboard (a nice solotion anyway).
    > What about base units? Do I have to use the airport base
    > station or can I use any others?
    You can use any station you want, but configuring some base stations can
    be a major pain in the backside (just like configuring hardware router).
    If you'll go with Apple-branded equipment, it will be just a matter of
    few intuitive clicks on your own iBook. If you are looking for a bargain,
    why not seek some second hand graphite base station? It's really cheap
    and this sort of equipment can run for years without any problem.

    --
    My taxes went to Iraq and all I got was this lousy sig.
    Wojciech Orlinski Guest

  5. #5

    Wojciech Orlinski <igelgazeta.pl> wrote:
    > If you'll go with Apple-branded equipment, it will be just a matter of
    > few intuitive clicks on your own iBook. If you are looking for a bargain,
    > why not seek some second hand graphite base station? It's really cheap
    > and this sort of equipment can run for years without any problem.
    I second this. The all-Apple solution "just works" effortlessly.
    A used snow base station would be your best bet if you wanted to go
    cheap.

    no_more_spam@mac.com Guest

  6. #6

    "Gary Williams" <gwilliamsmemhosp.com> wrote:
    >I have a 800mhz Ibook. I am thinking of going wireless, the appeal of the
    >internet while watching TV! boy that sounds so sad...
    >Anyway since I have the Ibook I bet I will need an airport card instead of a
    >3rd party card. What about base units? Do I have to use the airport base
    >station or can I use any others?
    I'm using a D-Link wireless router with an iBook and an AirPort card.
    Works wonderfully.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url] hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    Vote Ernie Fletcher for Governor of Kentucky! [url]http://www.fletcher2003.com[/url]

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: going wireless - PB G4 ti book

    In article <080920031411315356%spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <spam.me> wrote:

    > I don't know about that. I'm not that familiar with the iBook, but I
    > just put an Asante CardBus card in my old PowerBook G3, and it works
    > like a charm. I was surfing in under 30 seconds after popping it into
    > the CardBus slot.[/ref]

    Is the Asante card 802.11b or g? Is this the same slot as on the PB G4?
    Could you use an Airport card, and if so, why did you go with Asante
    (speed or price)? I'm looking to add wi fi to my PB G4 for outside use
    while traveling. (Just booked a hotel in Paris that claims Wi Fi in
    every room.) Is there a practical advantage to 802.11g. How often am I
    likely to find it in a public area? Besides the speed of connection, is
    there any advantage to 802.11g? Does it pick up weaker signals or
    anything. Is Apple, Asante or anyone else's cards likely to be better at
    getting the signal? Is there any advantage to the Apple card? Thanks.
    bux Guest