Professional Web Applications Themes

Good Idea/Bad Idea- Images for critique - Photography

Well, I may not send the images to Tank (yet), but these were some i'd planned to send: (link is to directory index) http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty/martin/ -- Martin http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty...

  1. #1

    Default Good Idea/Bad Idea- Images for critique

    --
    Martin
    http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty

    Martin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea- Images for critique

    "Martin Francis" <com> wrote in message news:<bg43oc$5nh$btinternet.com>...

    How to say this politely.....

    Have you considered piano lessons? Maybe your talent lies there..
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    com (Michael Scarpitti) wrote:

    And where, exactly, does your talent lie?

    ;-)

    T Guest

  4. #4

    Martin Francis wrote:

    K the desert ones I get,
    the freezer is cool yer heels?
    and aren't those Bruno Magdli(spelling s) shoes in the knife pic? :-)

    I got a kick out of them. (KICKS)

    --
    -Keith

    Registered Linux user #273320

    http://counter.li.org
    Rusty Guest

  5. #5

    "T P" <com> wrote in message

    Seemingly in saying things politely.

  6. #6

    "Martin Francis" <com> wrote in message

    I think you need to present us a specific set of images to critique, like
    this one:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty/martin/previews/projects/kelly.jpg
    instead of having us crawl through a series of indices guessing at what
    we're going to see.
    mc

    Matt Guest

  7. #7

    http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty/martin/files

    (sorry)

  8. #8

    T P <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > And where, exactly, does your talent lie?
    >
    > ;-)[/ref]

    Photography and writing, to name two.

    I did not say the work was bad, did I? To do really good photography,
    one must actively go after images. There's too much passivity here. No
    long shadows. No dizzying angles. No active participation in the act
    of making a photograph.
    Michael Guest

  9. #9

    "Michael Scarpitti" <com> wrote in message

    > > And where, exactly, does your talent lie?
    > >
    > > ;-)[/ref]
    >
    > Photography and writing, to name two.[/ref]

    Let's see some then.

    Worse, you suggested he find another creative field to pursue. Way to
    encourage a student!!! You obviously don't know the meaning of constructive
    criticism, do you.

    opinion]. No
    [because
    the act
    photographs, even
    too].

    Fear not Martin, you're in good company. He thinks Ansel Adams is _WAY_
    overrated, too. Just throw some long shadows in there and some dizzying
    angles and you'll have pleased Mr. Scarpitti.

    Matt Guest

  10. #10

    "Michael Scarpitti" <com> wrote in message

    Ask, and ye shall receive...
    http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty/martin/previews/wales03/carlean.jpg
    (dangling my newly-bought FM3a out of a car window moving slightly in excess
    of 70mph)

  11. #11

    "Rusty Shakleford" <net> wrote in message

    Erm, thanks (?)

    Suddenly everything is clear...

  12. #12

    "Matt Clara" <guys.expense> wrote in message news:<9XzVa.783079$easynews.com>...

    > > Photography and writing, to name two.[/ref]
    >
    > Let's see some then.

    > Worse, you suggested he find another creative field to pursue. Way to[/ref]

    This student should be encouraged to pursue something else. Not even a
    whiff of specialness about the images.

    > opinion]. No
    > [because
    > the act
    > photographs, even
    > too].
    >
    > Fear not Martin, you're in good company. He thinks Ansel Adams is _WAY_
    > overrated, too. Just throw some long shadows in there and some dizzying
    > angles and you'll have pleased Mr. Scarpitti.[/ref]

    For the subject matter he chose, the very flat light, poor choice of
    vantage point, lack of texture, etc, are telling. Want to see MY
    slides of Italy?
    Michael Guest

  13. #13

    > > Let's see some then.[/ref]
    > http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/texts/VERSCH.html
    > http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/texts/adv.html
    >
    >[/ref]

    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......... Don't leave academia, ok? You fit right
    in.

    Those are cool.

    Matt Guest

  14. #14

    "Matt Clara" <fellas.expense> wrote in message news:<FnKVa.1246918$easynews.com>...
    > > http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/texts/VERSCH.html
    > > http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/texts/adv.html
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......... Don't leave academia, ok? You fit right
    > in.[/ref]

    Actually, I'm not an academic, and these papers are critical of the
    typical academic slovenliness.

    > Those are cool.[/ref]
    Michael Guest

  15. #15

    "Matt Clara" <fellas.expense> wrote in message news:<FnKVa.1246918$easynews.com>...
    > > http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/texts/VERSCH.html
    > > http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ppp/texts/adv.html
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......... Don't leave academia, ok? You fit right
    > in.
    >

    > Those are cool.[/ref]

    My fave is Pomponianus.
    Michael Guest

  16. #16

    Guten Morgen Martin,

    Martin Francis wrote:

    Link sometimes not available, but I got a brief look. I do think this is
    a nice start on a concept. Perhaps some more exploring might get some
    results to hone your vision.

    Anyway, when I was in college, inspiration, and direction, could
    sometimes be found in the work of others. I still find inspiration in the
    work of others, though much of the direction of my work is now client
    generated, or self generated.

    With inspiration in mind, I thought you might find something in the works
    of Jeff Mermelstein. He is part of that genre of "Street Photography",
    yet I think that is too narrow a description. His work has been profiled
    in several publications, and he has a couple books out. Take a look:

    <http://www.billcharles.com/merm/jeffmermelstein_1.htm>

    I hope some ideas generate from that, or some other source. It is tough
    to stay fresh on ideas, but a big part of developing a style. Since I
    have been stuck at home sick, I finally got going on my portfolio update.
    I have about fifty images I need to cut down to about 20 for final
    display. My web site is a mess in need of updates, but that is another
    story . . . no rest for the wicked ;-)

    Anyway, keep at it, build on some concepts. If you need to, shoot more
    film.

    Ciao!

    Gordon Moat
    Alliance Graphique Studio
    <http://www.allgstudio.com>

    Gordon Guest

  17. #17

    "Matt Clara" <fellas.expense> wrote in message news:<KiKVa.1248062$easynews.com>...

    That would be presumptuous on your part to say about me. I have worked
    at the professional level, and in matters of darkroom
    technique/knowledge I would say I'm far beyond most pros. I happen to
    know a lot of pros and have seen their darkroom work, so I can make
    that judgement. As far as 'putting down' anyone, I have no need for
    that. I simply suggest that Martin's talents lie elsewhere, not that
    he is a bad person or has no talent. Photograpgic talents generally
    manifest themselves right away or never. Perhpas Martin is destined to
    be great violinist or pianist.

    A glance at some of the work in these pages will be illuminating:

    http://www.leica-camera.com/kultur/links/fotografen/index_e.html
    Michael Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Rusty Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    "Matt Clara" <fellas.expense> wrote in message
    Scarpitti is full of something, that's for sure

    Tony Guest

  20. #20

    "Tony Parkinson" <com> wrote in message news:<bgo8ti$qh1$btinternet.com>...
    > Scarpitti is full of something, that's for sure[/ref]

    You have no idea what you're talking about. I went to Italy a few
    years ago, and my pictures from that trip are of professional calibre.
    Michael Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast