Professional Web Applications Themes

Good news! - Informix

Hi all!! http://www-306.ibm.com/software/success/cssdb.nsf/csp/tknc-5u72ge Only for me ? Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 __________________________________________________ _______________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus sending to informix-list...

  1. #1

    Default Good news!

    Hi all!!

    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/success/cssdb.nsf/csp/tknc-5u72ge

    Only for me ?

    Regards.
    --
    Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan.
    ICQ#:168106592

    sending to informix-list
    Tsutomu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Good news!

    "Tsutomu Ogiwara" <com> wrote in message

    Excellent publicity for IDS, although you have to expect that the database
    element will be largely ignored by IBM in a way that it wouldn't if the
    underlying database had been DB2 UDB.

    On the wider issue, and going a little off-topic, how beneficial is it
    really that the big boys, and especially IBM, are getting selected as
    "strategic Linux partners"? The very essence of Linux - anti-proprietary,
    open-source, free entitlement-to-use - is the antithesis of what Big
    Business stands for. Don't get me wrong: I think that the comparatively
    recent acceptance of Linux as a viable enterprise OS is largely due to the
    involvement of the big boys, and my business has itself benefited from being
    a part of IBM EMEA's Leaders for Linux initiative. But I just wonder where
    it all will end ....

    Neil Guest

  3. #3

    "Neil Truby" <com> wrote in message
    being
    where

    With Linux being what a standard version of UNIX could have been!
    SGI contributes XFS, IBM contributes JFS,
    Sun an improved Gnome Desktop....HP ??

    All the best bits of the various UNIX versions will get merged into one!
    Where this ends will be very interesting!

    David Guest

  4. #4

    Curious that the link doent was dated 11-03 and
    Redhat v 6.2 (the platform deployed upon) was two
    versions behind the currently available version of the
    Redhat product at that time (version 9.0 of Redhat was
    GA in Sept 2003). Of course IDS v 9.4 has been out
    for quite a bit of time as well so???

    Just curious...

    Rob Vorbroker
    --- Neil Truby <com> wrote:
    >[/ref]
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/success/cssdb.nsf/csp/tknc-5u72ge

    > Excellent publicity for IDS, although you have to
    > expect that the database
    > element will be largely ignored by IBM in a way that
    > it wouldn't if the
    > underlying database had been DB2 UDB.
    >
    > On the wider issue, and going a little off-topic,
    > how beneficial is it
    > really that the big boys, and especially IBM, are
    > getting selected as
    > "strategic Linux partners"? The very essence of
    > Linux - anti-proprietary,
    > open-source, free entitlement-to-use - is the
    > antithesis of what Big
    > Business stands for. Don't get me wrong: I think
    > that the comparatively
    > recent acceptance of Linux as a viable enterprise OS
    > is largely due to the
    > involvement of the big boys, and my business has
    > itself benefited from being
    > a part of IBM EMEA's Leaders for Linux initiative.
    > But I just wonder where
    > it all will end ....
    >
    >[/ref]

    =====
    Rob Vorbroker Phone: 513/336-8695
    Vorbroker Consulting, Inc. Fax: 513/336-6812
    www.vorbroker.com com

    http://antispam./whatsnewfree
    sending to informix-list
    Rob Guest

  5. #5

    Neil Truby wrote:

    > Excellent publicity for IDS, although you have to expect that the database
    > element will be largely ignored by IBM in a way that it wouldn't if the
    > underlying database had been DB2 UDB.
    >
    > On the wider issue, and going a little off-topic, how beneficial is it
    > really that the big boys, and especially IBM, are getting selected as
    > "strategic Linux partners"? The very essence of Linux - anti-proprietary,
    > open-source, free entitlement-to-use - is the antithesis of what Big
    > Business stands for. Don't get me wrong: I think that the comparatively
    > recent acceptance of Linux as a viable enterprise OS is largely due to the
    > involvement of the big boys, and my business has itself benefited from
    > being
    > a part of IBM EMEA's Leaders for Linux initiative. But I just wonder
    > where it all will end ....[/ref]

    Funnily enough, I am engaged in a similar debate with a particularly
    pointy-haired customer, who has gone so far as to suggest that they will
    not consider any commercial software for infrastructure use any more if
    there is an open-source equivalent. However, they don't seem to have the
    mental capacity to understand that just because something is in the same
    category as an existing commercial product with 20 years' development
    behind it, that it might not be a fully-function, fully equivalent
    replacement.

    So now they compare all the open-source application servers with each other
    and then choose JBOSS. They haven't even looked at Weblogic or <shudder>
    WebSphere, so they may be missing out on some vital features and
    functionality, just because they want to save on licensing costs.

    I'm also sceptical at this stage how good a business model this
    maintenance-only approach is. So if you go wall-to-wall open source and one
    or more of your vendors folds because of financial reasons, you have the
    code, but then you have to divert half your business into maintaining a
    piece of software that isn't essential to your business, instead of helping
    your business to make money.

    Still, what do I know?

    --
    "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule"
    - Coluche

  6. #6

    "Neil Truby" <com> writes:

    Beneficial to IBM? When Big Corporations start investing in Linux
    infrastructure and Linux support, I'd have to say "very".

    Beneficial to me? When Strategic Linux Partners start contributing
    back to the pool of Free Software, I'd have to say "very".

    It can be a win/win situation if both were to happen.

    Of course, BCs and SLPs can always attempt to steal Linux (like
    Linksys and SCO are trying to do) and nobody wins.

    Ronald Cole <com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
    Ronald Guest

  7. #7

    Apache project is full of IBM contributions, Eclipse is there mostly
    thanks to IBM (at least initially), heck, IBM even got sued for
    contributing to OSS world :-) Sun is talking about opensourcing most
    of its app server and related stuff.... I would say the situation *is*
    win-win, at least at the moment, pathetic extorters from SCO
    notwithstanding.

    Dragi Raos

    "Ronald Cole" <com> wrote in message
    news:forte-intl.com... [/ref]
    it [/ref]
    as

    > Beneficial to IBM? When Big Corporations start investing in Linux
    > infrastructure and Linux support, I'd have to say "very".
    >
    > Beneficial to me? When Strategic Linux Partners start contributing
    > back to the pool of Free Software, I'd have to say "very".
    >
    > It can be a win/win situation if both were to happen.
    >
    > Of course, BCs and SLPs can always attempt to steal Linux (like
    > Linksys and SCO are trying to do) and nobody wins.
    >
    > --
    > Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA 93556-1412
    > Ronald Cole <com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    > President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152
    > My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084 4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B[/ref]

    Dragi Guest

  8. #8

    Neil Truby wrote:

    IDS 9.x released as open - source... (just dreaming...)

    Chucho!

    --

    Atte,

    Jesus Antonio Santos Giraldo
    -----------------------------------
    com
    net

    sending to informix-list
    Jean Guest

  9. #9

    "Dragi Bonzi Raos" <hinet.hr> wrote in message

    I actually acknowledged in my original mail that the involvement of IBM and
    others was perhaps the single biggest factor is the acceleration of its
    uptake. I'm just saying that history suggests that the big companies do not
    share the largely altruistic motives behind Open Source, and may ruin it for
    everyone else in the end ...

    Neil Guest