Professional Web Applications Themes

Good news! - SCO

:-) The following article put a big old smile on my face, and probably put a big lump in the back of Boyd's pants. Nice to see SCO reaping the "rewards" of its efforts to become the most hated legalH^H^H^H^H^software company on Earth. Just look at those customers go! Start Quote:-- http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=44610 KOLKATA: It is Linux time for the financial sector. Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), the largest insurance company of the country, is implementing Linux, the open source code operating system, replacing SCO Unix across its 2,048 branches. For IT officials of LIC, Linux will ensure ease of ...

  1. #1

    Default Good news!

    :-) The following article put a big old smile on my face, and
    probably put a big lump in the back of Boyd's pants.
    Nice to see SCO reaping the "rewards" of its efforts
    to become the most hated legalH^H^H^H^H^software
    company on Earth. Just look at those customers go!

    Start Quote:--

    http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=44610

    KOLKATA: It is Linux time for the financial sector. Life Insurance
    Corporation of India (LIC), the largest insurance company of the
    country, is implementing Linux, the open source code operating system,
    replacing SCO Unix across its 2,048 branches.

    For IT officials of LIC, Linux will ensure ease of use, scalability
    and application freedom and considerable savings in its insurance
    business.

    Said Mr H Nanda, deputy secretary, software development centre, IT
    department, LIC, "We chose Linux over some popular proprietary OS like
    Windows or SCO's pathetic offering as we wanted to run all our
    existing in-house applications without spending much and at the same
    time did not want to be tied to license based OS. We will have the
    necessary freedom in future to develop various applications according
    to customers’ requirements."

    LIC officials believe that by choosing Linux the company will save a
    huge amount of money in terms of licence fees, minimum use of third
    party applications and customisation cost of existing applications.
    "By dropping SCO's ancient UNIX systems, we will effectively be
    leapfrogging 10 years forward in time with Linux!", commented Najah
    Hussein.

    Said Sanjay Prasad, manager - enterprise sales, Red Hat India, "LIC is
    using Red Hat 7.X version of Linux which has come bundled with the
    Intel servers of IBM, HP, Wipro and Accel ICIM. LIC has bought around
    2,048 Intel servers bundled with Red Hat Enterprise package."

    For Red Hat, LIC has become one of the biggest customers in the
    financial segment. Red Hat will provide centralised support and
    training along with helping LIC’s software developers develop Linux
    based business applications.

    Said Mr Prasad, "The financial sector is getting attracted to Linux.
    After banks like IDBI, Central Bank of India and Kotak Bank, LIC too
    has joined the Linux bandwagon."

    LIC has an in-house IT team of 2500 employees. In the past, the
    company has developed its own IT applications to computerise its
    database for claim settlement, new businesses, policy servicing, 1.25
    employees’ records and maintenance of accounts. Except in a few
    branches where there have been some migration problems on account of
    hardware and software issues, the applications are already running on
    Linux OS.

    At present, LIC is using Linux mainly as a back-end operating system.
    The company has MS-Exchange for emails, etc on some desktops at the
    branch level.

    But LIC plans to have most of its front-end functions on Linux soon.

    --End Quote

    Meanwhile, back in a dingy Utah basement, Darl McBribe crawls out from
    under a rock to squeak "You'll never escape our licences! Never!!! You
    filthy thieves, you're stealing from us! Now would you like to buy a
    nice new SCO system? It's as modern as anything from the 70's!!"

    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Good news!

    You really shouldn't use "Start Quote" when you plan on altering what was
    said in the article. It is not really a quote at that point, unless of
    course you are Mr. H Nanda.

    "FyRE" <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote in message

    You really shouldn't use "Start Quote" when you plan on altering what was
    said in the article. It is not really a quote at that point, unless of
    course you are Mr. H Nanda.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Remaining credibility ............................... ZERO

    Really Bad Form to change quotes.

    "FyRE" <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote in message

    rob Guest

  4. #4

    rob kas wrote:

    Remaining? He never had any!
    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>, FyRE
    <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:

    I wonder if that was a good move instead of one of the newer RH
    variants. All the 7.x errata updates reach EOL in December of
    this year, along with RH 8. RH 9 goes EOL on April 30, 2004. It
    sound like they may be starting near the back of the pack. I'd be
    concerned about that because on EOL on errata updates means the end
    of new HW support, bug fixes and security fixes. RH does not that
    they may extend the errata for certain popular releases, and I
    suspect that will happen for at least the 7.3.

    I was suprrised when I saw this announcment as so many seem to
    prefer the 7.x over the later releases.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    In article <_iWlb.16103$news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    Michael Suddith <com> wrote:

    For those who want see the complet FyRE quote go back in the
    thread.

    For those who wonder what thes comments are about modifying the
    article and calling it a quote - here are the signifcant diffs.

    A couple of lines with only a " difference I did not include.
    The last complete PGH of the original was also dropped.

    Make your own judgement. And if you don't trust my diff
    you can easily do your own.

    The original lines start with < and the FyRE lines with >

    11,15c11,16
    < department, LIC, We chose Linux over some popular proprietary OS like
    < Windows as we wanted to run all our existing in-house applications
    < without spending much and at the same time did not want to be tied to
    < license based OS. We will have the necessary freedom in future to
    < develop various applications according to customers requirements.
    ---
    19a21,23

    < But LIC plans to have most of its front-end functions on Linux soon.
    <
    < Said Mr Nanda, As office suite applications like Open Office, Linux
    < based browsers become popular, we will gradually move towards a
    < situation where most of our front-end functions including messaging
    < will be on Linux. At present there are desktops in each of the
    < branches where licensed copies of MS Office is used for messaging and
    < word processor functions.
    <
    < With implementation of Linux, LIC is getting ready to make its
    < database available online across the branches and connecting the
    < database with the external database of other companies.
    <
    < Said Mr Nanda, Almost all our branches are connected. Now we are
    < implementing an online data store which will help us create various
    < value added services for our customers.
    ---

    Just thought I'd save some the work of comparison.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > I wonder if that was a good move instead of one of the newer RH
    > variants. All the 7.x errata updates reach EOL in December of
    > this year, along with RH 8. RH 9 goes EOL on April 30, 2004. It
    > sound like they may be starting near the back of the pack. I'd be
    > concerned about that because on EOL on errata updates means the end
    > of new HW support, bug fixes and security fixes. RH does not that
    > they may extend the errata for certain popular releases, and I
    > suspect that will happen for at least the 7.3.
    >
    > I was suprrised when I saw this announcment as so many seem to
    > prefer the 7.x over the later releases.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com[/ref]

    I didn't realize that Red Hat 7.X came bundled with HP servers, I guess
    I should phone up and ask for all my copies. And isn't Red Hat Enterprise
    a different release? Does it come bundled also?

    LIC must have a hugh faith in RH to commit to 2,048 servers running to be
    developed software, when they already own SCO licenses. I wonder if
    something has been lost in the India to English translation.

    Then sometimes its like the guy who owned and drove the perfect BMW 540
    for three years, never had a problem, and goes out and buys a Navigator
    SUV because he wants something different.

    Mike
    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:30:51 GMT, Mike Brown <ca> wrote:

    >>[/ref]
    >
    >LIC must have a hugh faith in RH to commit to 2,048 servers running to be
    >developed software, when they already own SCO licenses. I wonder if
    >something has been lost in the India to English translation.[/ref]

    I doubt that such a translation ever occurred. A lot of business and
    much publishing in India (especially anything related to high-tech) is
    done in English.

    Joe Guest

  9. #9

    > I wonder if that was a good move instead of one of the newer RH

    The article is relating to RHEL, not standard RHL, RHEL has a shelf life of
    5 years basically, between major upgrades. RHL 7.x will be around for a
    while regardless of RH's EOL anyway, the user community is too large to
    simply change overnight, the patches will just be distributed via the
    community. Unlike binary only OS's like SCO, you could in theory keep a RH
    7.x box going indefinitely anyway, you would just need to compile and
    install all of the updates yourself instead of simply downloading them. This
    can be a pain for one system, however if you are say a major financial
    institution such as this one which has thousands of presumably similar if
    not identical machines, you could hire someone cheap (this is India
    afterall), to build your own patches, and distribute them via your own
    channels with apt-get or yum. As for hardware support, unless you are
    running something completely non-standard, I haven't failed to install any
    flavor of linux on a piece of standard server hardware, no matter how
    obscure the distribution.

    David Guest