Professional Web Applications Themes

Good Omens for PowerBook Fans - Mac Portable

  1. #21

    Default Re: Good Omens for PowerBook Fans

    > While Apple employees were predictably tight-lipped during my visit to
    > MWNY yesterday, I did talk to a prominent developer with whom I have a
    > passing acquaintance (sorry to sound like a rumors site). This
    > developer takes his NDA seriously, and will only talk in the most
    > general terms. "Apple is aware that increasing numbers of high-end
    > users are migrating to PowerBooks, and it plans to meet their needs."
    The rumors are all over the board here. Some are saying the 15" will go
    AlBook, others are saying it will STAY Ti. Really only a small minority
    are saying it will go G5, most acknowledge it will stay G4 till 2003.
    Some are saying the holdup is to due to waiting for an across the board
    update (12", 15", and 17" - if you think about it, the advantage might
    be to allow 'headroom' between the 15 and the 17). They may or may not
    be waiting on a new processor - either the Moto 7457, or the IBM "Gobi"
    G3-with-Altivec-which-is-basically-a-better-G4...

    My feeling is, an update will get done before September. Off-to-school
    sales are important to Apple. Although most kids buy iBooks, kids off to
    design programs buy PowerBooks. The pessimists say MWSF 2004, but I
    think something will happen before that.
    Seeker1 Guest

  2. #22

  3. #23

    In article <170720030931128933%starsky.net>, Davoud <starsky.net>
    wrote:
    > I think that I may (barely) qualify as a high-end user; I make a few
    > bucks (limited by my desire to work mostly for fun in retirement) with
    > Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, and Final Cut Pro/DVD Studio Pro. I
    > have a 23" Cinema Display connected to my TiBook. Please see
    > <http://www.davidillig.com/cinema.shtml> (personal, non-commercial,
    > strictly G-rated, no cookies, no ads). I'm delighted that Apple is
    > aware of my needs, and I look forward to awesome PowerBook performance
    > in the forseeable future.
    The bookcase and museum pieces are to die for. Awesome work.

    Chris
    chrisr Guest

  4. #24

  5. #25

    Davoud:
    > > ...Please see
    > > <http://www.davidillig.com/cinema.shtml> (personal, non-commercial,
    > > strictly G-rated, no cookies, no ads)...
    chrisr:
    > The bookcase and museum pieces are to die for. Awesome work.
    *****

    Thank you. It is very kind of you to say that.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  6. #26

    Davoud:

  7. #27

    In article <170720031052334209%seebelow.net>, Davoud <seebelow.net>
    wrote:
    > Fred Moore:
    > > Interesting speculation, Davoud; however, I don't see how a 'high-end'
    > > user can get by with a laptop if his or her work is at all color-critical
    > > A laptop LCD, as good as they are getting, just won't do. And why have an
    > > Apple Cinema Display sitting around for the laptop to plug into? Why not
    > > just get a desktop machine? Seems like a contradictory expense.
    > > Please tell me what I'm missing here.
    >
    > The only thing that your are missing is "To each his own." As for
    > color-critical work, my clients appreciate accurate color, and none has
    > complained about the results that I get with my Cinema Display. Why not
    > get a desktop machine? Because when I put one in my Targa case I can't
    > get the zipper closed.
    In my case, much of my work is carried to clients. For this reason, a
    TiBook is very, very productive. I can carry a complete work
    environment, including databases, web servers, applications servers,
    software development tools, Perl, bio databases, and the like, with
    nothing but the TiBook. Were much of my work color critical, I suspect
    it would still be a net timesaver to have the projects in my briefcase,
    in an editable form on site.

    When not on site, though, it is very convenient to have a large screen.
    I have a four year old Sony Multiscan that works great with my Ti/667.
    When home - full ergo keyboard and monitor. When on the road, I have
    the exact same environment, just running on a smaller screen.

    Were Apple to create decent synchronization software that would let my
    TiBook be an exact duplicate of a desktop G5, I might just buy a desktop
    again, and use the laptop when I am roaming. (I realize that I could
    use target disk mode, and CCC, but that takes a fair amount of time to
    run with 40G of files. Further, I have to reboot the TiBook after each
    use, and that is rather tedious.)

    Scott
    Scott Ellsworth Guest

  8. #28

    wrote:
    > Fred Moore:
    > > Interesting speculation, Davoud; however, I don't see how a 'high-end'
    > > user can get by with a laptop if his or her work is at all color-critical
    > > A laptop LCD, as good as they are getting, just won't do. And why have an
    > > Apple Cinema Display sitting around for the laptop to plug into? Why not
    > > just get a desktop machine? Seems like a contradictory expense.
    > > Please tell me what I'm missing here.
    >
    > The only thing that your are missing is "To each his own." As for
    > color-critical work, my clients appreciate accurate color, and none has
    > complained about the results that I get with my Cinema Display. Why not
    > get a desktop machine? Because when I put one in my Targa case I can't
    > get the zipper closed.
    In my case, much of my work is carried to clients. For this reason, a
    TiBook is very, very productive. I can carry a complete work
    environment, including databases, web servers, applications servers,
    software development tools, Perl, bio databases, and the like, with
    nothing but the TiBook. Were much of my work color critical, I suspect
    it would still be a net timesaver to have the projects in my briefcase,
    in an editable form on site.

    When not on site, though, it is very convenient to have a large screen.
    I have a four year old Sony Multiscan that works great with my Ti/667.
    When home - full ergo keyboard and monitor. When on the road, I have
    the exact same environment, just running on a smaller screen.

    Were Apple to create decent synchronization software that would let my
    TiBook be an exact duplicate of a desktop G5, I might just buy a desktop
    again, and use the laptop when I am roaming. (I realize that I could
    use target disk mode, and CCC, but that takes a fair amount of time to
    run with 40G of files. Further, I have to reboot the TiBook after each
    use, and that is rather tedious.)

    Scott
    Scott Ellsworth Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12