Professional Web Applications Themes

Good Omens for PowerBook Fans - Mac Portable

While Apple employees were predictably tight-lipped during my visit to MWNY yesterday, I did talk to a prominent developer with whom I have a passing acquaintance (sorry to sound like a rumors site). This developer takes his NDA seriously, and will only talk in the most general terms. "Apple is aware that increasing numbers of high-end users are migrating to PowerBooks, and it plans to meet their needs." This is borne out by what Apple's CFO, Fred Anderson, said in yesterday's Q3 conference call with financial ysts (as paraphrased on MacCentral): "Doesnąt expect to see Power Mac G5 hit previous ...

  1. #1

    Default Good Omens for PowerBook Fans

    While Apple employees were predictably tight-lipped during my visit to
    MWNY yesterday, I did talk to a prominent developer with whom I have a
    passing acquaintance (sorry to sound like a rumors site). This
    developer takes his NDA seriously, and will only talk in the most
    general terms. "Apple is aware that increasing numbers of high-end
    users are migrating to PowerBooks, and it plans to meet their needs."

    This is borne out by what Apple's CFO, Fred Anderson, said in
    yesterday's Q3 conference call with financial ysts (as paraphrased
    on MacCentral): "Doesnąt expect to see Power Mac G5 hit previous Power
    Mac G4 volume levels, because pros -- like everyone else -- are
    trending towards portables..." and "Portable units accounted for 46
    percent -- a record high."

    I think that I may (barely) qualify as a high-end user; I make a few
    bucks (limited by my desire to work mostly for fun in retirement) with
    Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, and Final Cut Pro/DVD Studio Pro. I
    have a 23" Cinema Display connected to my TiBook. Please see
    <http://www.davidillig.com/cinema.shtml> (personal, non-commercial,
    strictly G-rated, no cookies, no ads). I'm delighted that Apple is
    aware of my needs, and I look forward to awesome PowerBook performance
    in the forseeable future.

    That said, I admit that the Dual 2k G5 is extremely tempting. I tried
    it out yesterday with Photoshop and Final Cut Pro, and its performance
    is truly awesome. With 2GB of RAM, AirPort Extreme card & Base Station,
    two 250 GB drives, premium video card, AppleCare, and the whole nine
    yards, it costs a few dollars less than my 1991 IIci/32MB RAM.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Good Omens for PowerBook Fans

    Interesting speculation, Davoud; however, I don't see how a 'high-end'
    user can get by with a laptop if his or her work is at all color-critical
    A laptop LCD, as good as they are getting, just won't do. And why have an
    Apple Cinema Display sitting around for the laptop to plug into? Why not
    just get a desktop machine? Seems like a contradictory expense.

    Please tell me what I'm missing here.

    --Fred

    Davoud (starsky.net) wrote:
[...]

    : --
    : usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Fred Moore Guest

  5. #5

    Philo D <4ad1qx6b02sneakemail.com> writes:
    > In article <170720030931128933%starsky.net>, Davoud <starsky.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > That said, I admit that the Dual 2k G5 is extremely tempting.
    >
    > 2k???
    That'd be the dual 2 Ghz model. Since we talk about Megahertz
    so frequently, that 2k would be 2k Mhz.

    Feeling a little slow on my 500 Mhz iBook, nowadays, though
    the bigger problem is that the screen seems kind of dim.

    Waiting for the release of the next-gen 15", I think.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- [url]http://www.expita.com/nomime.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting[/url]
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Fred Moore:
    > Interesting speculation, Davoud; however, I don't see how a 'high-end'
    > user can get by with a laptop if his or her work is at all color-critical
    > A laptop LCD, as good as they are getting, just won't do. And why have an
    > Apple Cinema Display sitting around for the laptop to plug into? Why not
    > just get a desktop machine? Seems like a contradictory expense.
    > Please tell me what I'm missing here.
    The only thing that your are missing is "To each his own." As for
    color-critical work, my clients appreciate accurate color, and none has
    complained about the results that I get with my Cinema Display. Why not
    get a desktop machine? Because when I put one in my Targa case I can't
    get the zipper closed.

    Davoud

  8. #8

    Fred Moore:

  9. #9

    In article <170720030931128933%starsky.net>, Davoud <starsky.net> wrote:
    > I have a 23" Cinema Display connected to my TiBook. Please see
    > <http://www.davidillig.com/cinema.shtml>
    Hey, what's that you've got your powerbook in?

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  10. #10

  11. #11

    In article <mr-B5B41B.17115617072003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    Sandman <mrsandman.net> wrote:
    > In article <170720030931128933%starsky.net>, Davoud <starsky.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 23" Cinema Display connected to my TiBook. Please see
    > > <http://www.davidillig.com/cinema.shtml>
    >
    > Hey, what's that you've got your powerbook in?
    (sorry about that, I didn't see the text first)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  12. #12

  13. #13

    Davoud wrote:
    > Fred Moore:
    >
    >>Interesting speculation, Davoud; however, I don't see how a 'high-end'
    >>user can get by with a laptop if his or her work is at all color-critical
    >>A laptop LCD, as good as they are getting, just won't do. And why have an
    > The only thing that your are missing is "To each his own." As for
    > color-critical work, my clients appreciate accurate color, and none has
    > complained about the results that I get with my Cinema Display. Why not
    From the software you used, I assume you are working for screen (rather
    than print). An LCD screen doesn't even come close to being suitable for
    colour reporduction for print.

    Thom

    Thom White Guest

  14. #14

    Davoud wrote:
    > Fred Moore:
    >
    >>Interesting speculation, Davoud; however, I don't see how a 'high-end'
    >>user can get by with a laptop if his or her work is at all color-critical
    >>A laptop LCD, as good as they are getting, just won't do. And why have an
    > The only thing that your are missing is "To each his own." As for
    > color-critical work, my clients appreciate accurate color, and none has
    > complained about the results that I get with my Cinema Display. Why not
    From the software you used, I assume you are working for screen (rather

  15. #15

    Davoud:
    > > That said, I admit that the Dual 2k G5 is extremely tempting.
    Philo D:
    > 2k???
    *****

    I regret that my orthographic error, in which I wrote "2k" when I
    intended to write "2GHz," was egregious to the point that it rendered
    my article so incomprehensible to you that you were moved to write for
    clarification.

    Or is it that you in fact knew that the processor speed of the new G5
    (dual processor) is 2GHz, and not 2kHz, and thus, as one who has never
    made such an error, you were just nitpicking?

    Davoud

  16. #16

    Davoud:
    *****

  17. #17

    Thom White:
    > From the software you used, I assume you are working for screen (rather
    > than print). An LCD screen doesn't even come close to being suitable for
    > colour reporduction for print.
    *****

    Oh, really? I did mention "InDesign," didn't I? For print I do
    catalogues, brochures, greeting cards, and art prints, inter alia, and
    my clients don't even come close to being dissatisfied with my work. I
    could have a lot more clients than I have, but I retired from work 10
    years ago at age 49 to devote my life to having a good time, and I have
    no desire to work for pay again.

    Davoud

  18. #18

  19. #19

    In article <170720031143205665%starsky.net>, Davoud <starsky.net> writes:
    > Davoud:
    >> > That said, I admit that the Dual 2k G5 is extremely tempting.
    >
    > Philo D:
    >> 2k???
    >
    > *****
    >
    > I regret that my orthographic error, in which I wrote "2k" when I
    > intended to write "2GHz," was egregious to the point that it rendered
    > my article so incomprehensible to you that you were moved to write for
    > clarification.
    >
    > Or is it that you in fact knew that the processor speed of the new G5
    > (dual processor) is 2GHz, and not 2kHz, and thus, as one who has never
    > made such an error, you were just nitpicking?
    You should think of it as a service rendered on the off chance you
    were wondering whether your post had been to Usenet or someplace mre
    friendly.
    Larry Kilgallen Guest

  20. #20

    In article <170720031143205665%starsky.net>, Davoud <starsky.net> writes:
    > Davoud:
    >> > That said, I admit that the Dual 2k G5 is extremely tempting.
    >
    > Philo D:
    >> 2k???
    >
    > *****
    >
    > I regret that my orthographic error, in which I wrote "2k" when I
    > intended to write "2GHz," was egregious to the point that it rendered
    > my article so incomprehensible to you that you were moved to write for
    > clarification.
    >
    > Or is it that you in fact knew that the processor speed of the new G5
    > (dual processor) is 2GHz, and not 2kHz, and thus, as one who has never
    > made such an error, you were just nitpicking?
    You should think of it as a service rendered on the off chance you
    were wondering whether your post had been to Usenet or someplace mre
    friendly.
    Larry Kilgallen Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast