Professional Web Applications Themes

Good PHP IDE Recomendation? - PHP Development

Hi everyone, I have been using Nusphere PHP IDE 3.x for a while, but I'm looking for other alternatives. Can anybody recommend some excellent IDEs that standout. Thanks, Matt...

  1. #1

    Default Good PHP IDE Recomendation?

    Hi everyone,

    I have been using Nusphere PHP IDE 3.x for a while, but I'm
    looking for other alternatives. Can anybody recommend some
    excellent IDEs that standout.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    Matt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Good PHP IDE Recomendation?

    "Matt" wrote:

    Matt, Zend IDE is a great alternative to NS. Give it a spin, as you
    can use it for free for a month, and then judge for yourself if you
    like it.

    --
    Posted using the http://www.dbforumz.com interface, at author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.dbforumz.com/PHP-Good-IDE-Recomendation-ftopict235298.html

    http://www.usenet.com
    steve Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:51:13 -0700, Matt wrote:

    Nusphere PHPEd, Zend Studio and Maguma Open Studio are my favourites.
    MiniMax Guest

  4. #4

    Matt <no email> wrote:

    Thanks for your suggestions, any thoughts on Komodo from Active State?

    Best,
    Matt
    Matt Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re: Good PHP IDE Recomendation?

    "" wrote:

    > Thanks for your suggestions, any thoughts on Komodo from
    > Active State?
    >
    > Best,
    > Matt[/ref]

    Haven’t heard of Kommodo much these days. I think Zend and NuSph
    are king of the hill right now for IDE’s. There is one thing about
    new Zend I don’t like. They have a complicated license that ties
    you to a machine. e.g. if you are traveling and need to put zend ide
    on a latop, then you have to call them and transfer the license to
    that machine, yikes! Before there was nothing like that. I don’t
    know how NuSph works regarding license.

    --
    Posted using the http://www.dbforumz.com interface, at author's request
    Topic URL: http://www.dbforumz.com/PHP-Good-IDE-Recomendation-ftopict235298.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.dbforumz.com/eform.php?p=818997
    steve Guest

  6. #6

    Matt wrote:

    Why do you want to switch? Is there a particular problem you're having
    with Nusphere?

    I'm evaluating Zend right now because I've been considering a switch,
    but so far Nusphere appears to be the better application. Zend doesn't
    seem to allow you to debug interactively, meaning you start the
    debugger and step along until it gets to the point where a complete
    webpage should appear, then the page does appear, you can type in the
    forms (if any) on the page, hit submit and Nusphere takes you back to
    the code. You can interactively step through a whole series of pages
    that way all within the debugger.

    In Nusphere, while debugging you can either look at the pages within
    the built-in web browser or in an external browser. By contrast, Zend
    shows you the raw HTML output but doesn't provide any way to interact
    with the webpage within a debugging session. At least there's no
    obvious way to do that.

    I also think the appearance of the Nusphere UI is much nicer and more
    up-to-date looking.

    Aside from Nusphere and Zend I'm not aware of any PHP IDE's that are
    really good.

    elektrophyte@yahoo.com Guest

  7. #7

    A clarification of my previous post -- I may be wrong about Zend not
    offering "interactive" debugging. I was trying Zend in client-only
    mode. ($99) If you operate it in client-server mode with remote
    debugging ($299) you may be able to do the kind of debugging I
    described above.

    elektrophyte@yahoo.com Guest

  8. #8

    com wrote:

    > Why do you want to switch? Is there a particular problem you're having
    > with Nusphere?
    >
    > I'm evaluating Zend right now because I've been considering a switch,
    > but so far Nusphere appears to be the better application. Zend doesn't
    > seem to allow you to debug interactively, meaning you start the
    > debugger and step along until it gets to the point where a complete
    > webpage should appear, then the page does appear, you can type in the
    > forms (if any) on the page, hit submit and Nusphere takes you back to
    > the code. You can interactively step through a whole series of pages
    > that way all within the debugger.
    >
    > In Nusphere, while debugging you can either look at the pages within
    > the built-in web browser or in an external browser. By contrast, Zend
    > shows you the raw HTML output but doesn't provide any way to interact
    > with the webpage within a debugging session. At least there's no
    > obvious way to do that.
    >
    > I also think the appearance of the Nusphere UI is much nicer and more
    > up-to-date looking.
    >
    > Aside from Nusphere and Zend I'm not aware of any PHP IDE's that are
    > really good.

    My main reasoning is that when I write classes, and then implement them in another
    php script, there is no intellisensing that will allow me to see the methods and
    parameters as I type . Now, I am using 3.1.2 and I may need to upgrade.
    Matt Guest

  9. #9

    I'm not sure whether NuSphere PHPed 3.3.3 has improved that
    functionality. They are also about to release 4.0 so that might be
    better.

    One thing to note about NuSphere is that the procedure for purchasing
    is extraordinarily complex and time-consuming. You pay, download,
    request activation key, WAIT for up to three days to get the key. They
    only deal with sending out keys during business hours. If you purchase
    on Saturday, you may have to wait until Wednesday to use your software.

    They do not reveal any of this on the website before purchase.

    Also the activation key is only good for one machine. So, like Zend,
    you do have to contact NuSphere again and wait again if you want to
    install on another machine. That could be really inconvenient if you
    want to have one copy on your desktop workstation and another on your
    laptop, or if you simply get a new computer.

    If you don't need all the bells and whistles there are several
    second-tier editors that are reputed to be pretty good. Maguma and
    Komodo both offer remote debugging and are supposed to be decent,
    though they don't have the full feature set of NuSphere or Zend.

    This website http://www.php-editors.com/ lists a lot of editors.

    elektrophyte@yahoo.com Guest

  10. #10

    Screem on Ubuntu Linux works just fine for me. I plan to donate $20
    when I get my next paycheck.

    Google Guest

  11. #11

    I use eclipse (www.eclipse.org), with the phpeclipse (phpeclipse.de)
    plugin. It works perfect for me. It even checks code while you save.
    It's customizable. Good search (and replace) functionality. Free. PHP 5
    support. MySQL suppport. Preview, etc.

    joppeaarts@gmail.com Guest

  12. #12

    Google Mike wrote:

    My employer bought me a copy of Zend... Except that you can tell it's a
    Java app, I love it... The syntax error hilighting and the built-in
    phpdoentor class inspectors are probably the most hand features for
    me. Not that I make syntax errors... ;)

    --
    Justin Koivisto, ZCE - com
    http://koivi.com