Professional Web Applications Themes

Good PostgreSQL Based Shopping Cart Software ... ? - PostgreSQL / PGSQL

Got a client that needs a shopping cart, and if I can help it, would rather offer them a 'ready made' package and then customize that to fit their site visually, then build everything from scratch, and only give them 10% of the features of a full package ... It doesn't have to be OSS ... Searching the web, I'm finding alot of MySQL based ones, but few that support PostgreSQL ... I'm not overly particular on language though ... PHP prefer'd but perl or python is cool too ... The key requirements are that its PostgreSQL based, and, visually, ...

  1. #1

    Default Good PostgreSQL Based Shopping Cart Software ... ?

    Got a client that needs a shopping cart, and if I can help it, would
    rather offer them a 'ready made' package and then customize that to fit
    their site visually, then build everything from scratch, and only give
    them 10% of the features of a full package ...

    It doesn't have to be OSS ...

    Searching the web, I'm finding alot of MySQL based ones, but few that
    support PostgreSQL ... I'm not overly particular on language though ...
    PHP prefer'd but perl or python is cool too ...

    The key requirements are that its PostgreSQL based, and, visually, will be
    easily customized by a non-programmer ...

    Again, the shopping cart itself doesn't have to be free ...

    Can anyone recommend software that they've been happy using? That has a
    rich feature set? For instance, some that I've come across has a 'gift
    registry' feature, and/or gift certificates, etc ...

    Thanks ...

    ----
    Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services ([url]http://www.hub.org[/url])
    Email: [email]scrappyhub.org[/email] Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

    TIP 8: explain yze is your friend

    Marc G. Fournier Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Good PostgreSQL Based Shopping Cart Software ... ?

    On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 00:46 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
    > Got a client that needs a shopping cart, and if I can help it, would
    > rather offer them a 'ready made' package and then customize that to fit
    > their site visually, then build everything from scratch, and only give
    > them 10% of the features of a full package ...
    >
    > It doesn't have to be OSS ...
    >
    > Searching the web, I'm finding alot of MySQL based ones, but few that
    > support PostgreSQL ... I'm not overly particular on language though ...
    > PHP prefer'd but perl or python is cool too ...
    >
    > The key requirements are that its PostgreSQL based, and, visually, will be
    > easily customized by a non-programmer ...
    >
    > Again, the shopping cart itself doesn't have to be free ...
    >
    > Can anyone recommend software that they've been happy using? That has a
    > rich feature set? For instance, some that I've come across has a 'gift
    > registry' feature, and/or gift certificates, etc ...
    [url]http://www.pgcart.com/[/url]

    runs on php and pgsql 7.3+ (tested 8.0) today

    An example of it running:

    [url]http://www.johnbenzart.com[/url]

    demo of admin:

    [url]http://www.pgcart.com/pgcart_demo/pgcart_demo_1.htm[/url]

    Cheers,

    -Robby

    * Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
    * PLANET ARGON | [url]www.planetargon.com[/url]
    * Portland, OR | [email]robbyplanetargon.com[/email]
    * 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
    * PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
    * --- Now hosting PostgreSQL 8.0! ---

    TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

    Robby Russell Guest

  3. #3

    The best and most flexible shopping cart I have ever used is Interchange,
    [url]www.icdevgroup.org[/url]. It is open source and freely downloadable. I've had
    experience writing some custom discount functions and it was fairly simple.
    Other then that I used it mostly out of the box.It has a great user
    interface

    The doentation says that it supports postgresql, though I have no direct
    experience with that.
    --from the docs---

    2. SQL Support
    ==============

    Interchange can use any of a number of SQL databases through the
    powerful Perl DBI/DBD access methods. This allows transparent access
    to any database engine that is supported by a DBD module. The current
    list includes mSQL, MySQL, Solid, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Sybase,
    Informix, Ingres, Dbase, DB2, Fulcrum, and others. Any ODBC (with
    appropriate driver) should also be supported.

    No SQL database is included with Interchange, but there are a number
    widely available on the Internet. Most commonly used with Interchange
    are PostgreSQL, MySQL, and Oracle. It is beyond the scope of this
    doent to describe SQL or DBI/DBD. Sufficient familiarity is
    assumed.

    In most cases, Interchange cannot perform administrative functions,
    like creating a database or setting access permissions. This must be
    done with the tools provided with a SQL distribution. But, if given a
    blank database and the permission to read and write it, Interchange
    can import ASCII files and bootstrap from there.HTH
    sim

    ""Marc G. Fournier"" <scrappypostgresql.org> wrote in message

    > Got a client that needs a shopping cart, and if I can help it, would
    > rather offer them a 'ready made' package and then customize that to fit
    > their site visually, then build everything from scratch, and only give
    > them 10% of the features of a full package ...
    >
    > It doesn't have to be OSS ...
    >
    > Searching the web, I'm finding alot of MySQL based ones, but few that
    > support PostgreSQL ... I'm not overly particular on language though ...
    > PHP prefer'd but perl or python is cool too ...
    >
    > The key requirements are that its PostgreSQL based, and, visually, will be
    > easily customized by a non-programmer ...
    >
    > Again, the shopping cart itself doesn't have to be free ...
    >
    > Can anyone recommend software that they've been happy using? That has a
    > rich feature set? For instance, some that I've come across has a 'gift
    > registry' feature, and/or gift certificates, etc ...
    >
    > Thanks ...
    >
    > ----
    > Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services
    ([url]http://www.hub.org[/url])
    > Email: [email]scrappyhub.org[/email] Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ:
    7615664

    > TIP 8: explain yze is your friend

    Sim Zacks Guest

  4. #4

    Marc G. Fournier wrote:

    > Got a client that needs a shopping cart, and if I can help it, would
    > rather offer them a 'ready made' package and then customize that to fit
    > their site visually, then build everything from scratch, and only give
    > them 10% of the features of a full package ...
    >
    > It doesn't have to be OSS ...
    I didn't get around to using it, but I evaluated the following and was
    reasonably impressed:
    [url]http://www.clickcartpro.co.uk/[/url]

    There is a version for the USA too. Perl based, management interface,
    template based layout etc.

    --
    Richard Huxton
    Archonet Ltd

    [url]http://archives.postgresql.org[/url]

    Richard Huxton Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:59:44 +0200, Sim Zacks <simnospam.com> wrote:
    > The best and most flexible shopping cart I have ever used is Interchange,
    > [url]www.icdevgroup.org[/url]. It is open source and freely downloadable. I've had
    > experience writing some custom discount functions and it was fairly simple.
    > Other then that I used it mostly out of the box.It has a great user
    > interface
    >
    > The doentation says that it supports postgresql, though I have no direct
    > experience with that.
    It does. We have several interchange catalogs running postgresql.

    Chris

    [url]http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq[/url]

    Chris Guest