Professional Web Applications Themes

good reasonably priced photo printer - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I need to get a dedicated photo printer and I was wondering what everyone would recommend. Ideally, of course, I'd like an Epson 1280 or 2200, but I really don't need that much printer right now. Any suggestions for smaller format Epsons or maybe Canons?...

  1. #1

    Default good reasonably priced photo printer

    I need to get a dedicated photo printer and I was wondering what everyone would recommend. Ideally, of course, I'd like an Epson 1280 or 2200, but I really don't need that much printer right now. Any suggestions for smaller format Epsons or maybe Canons?
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: good reasonably priced photo printer

    Barbara,
    I'm getting by nicely with the Epson Photo 890 ( small version of the 1280 ). I'm lusting after the Enhanced Generations Archival Inks at Mediastreet ( with the Niagara confinuous ink system ), but haven't gotten the courage , yet. Perhaps I'll ask for the system for Christmas.

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Brent!
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  4. #4

    Barb, I was amazed that STAPLES still carried my Epson 785 exp at a great $ 99 price. You wouldn't be disappointed...promise ...you should know by now that I'm very particular about quality ;)
    JodiFrye Guest

  5. #5

    Jodi and Barbara, the Epson lineup of choices is downright dizzying, and their
    website is a treasure trove. My next printer - whenever that might come -
    will be an Epson, in spite of my loyalty to Canon on the camera side.

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks, Jodi. I'll check that out.

    Chuck, have you tried any of the newer canons? I was wondering if they have any drawbacks other than the ink life. You're right about the Epson website--almost too much to choose from.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  7. #7

    Barbara, no I haven't previewed them, although they continue to get pretty
    decent reviews. I've still been concentrating my 'imaging dollar' on the
    front end of the process (cameras, lenses - and books) and there hasn't been
    anything left over for the back end (printing). Maybe after the next job I
    do for my old employer....

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  8. #8

    Barbara, you may want to give Epson a call at 1-800-463-7766 and ask them to send you info on those printers. I did and they sent actual prints from both the 1280 and the 2200, now I'm trying to decide which one to get.

    :-)

    Barb

    Edit: One of these days, I'll learn to read the entire question. ;-) They'll send info on any model, just tell them to include the sample prints too.
    imacgirl Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks, Chuck and Barb.

    Barb, I wish it were a choice between those two. 8^)
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  10. #10

    Barbara, I may be deciding for a long while, they are quite an investment. The models will probably change before I choose one ;-), or better yet, maybe the prices will drop. All this stuff really starts addin' up fast!

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  11. #11

    I have the Epson Photo 820. Its a 6 color printer. One thing it does that is AWESOME: It will print a large panaromic picture. I bought 8.3x23.4 inch photo paper and have absolutely beautiful prints. Also, if you go to [url]www.islandinkjet.com[/url] you can buy a chip resetter which allows you to refill the cartridges. This printer has been quite busy recently. My mother asked me to scan and print over 200 slides. I printed 5x7 prints (2 per page) and got an average of about 20 pages per cartrigde. But with the ink from Island Inkjet, it was not expensive at all. I am a die-hard fan of the Epson line. I use the Epson Perfection 2400 scanner and the two together are awesome.

    And its cheap. I've seen it on ebay for under $60.
    Richard L Hanlon Guest

  12. #12

    Hi Barbara, et al,
    I am very happy with my new Epson C82 which I purchased after reading an article about it in the May 2003 issue of Shutterbug magazine. This printer is also very inexpensive at your local Staples! Good luck...
    Betsy Burch
    Betsy Burch Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks, all. imacBarb, I forgot to ask if you aware of how limited the X drivers for the better Epsons are. If not, you should read up on that before you buy one. Lots of people switching to canon for X these days because of the Epson drivers.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  14. #14

    I can highly recommend the Canon S520, it has single colour ink cartridges so if you run out of one colour then that can be replaced , the ink jet nozzles do not dry up as I have found that Epsons do,. they use the ink right to the last drop as far as I can tell and the print quality is very good. If you need edge to edge it will do that too, though I think it stretches the image to do this.
    There is a newer one too which is the S820 but I havent checked out the price. I live in UK so it depends on your base what you pay I think.
    kind thoughts
    Shrilly
    Shrilly Drabble Guest

  15. #15

    This response will probably bring the wrath of the Epson diehards down on me rather severely. But I have been getting exceptional results using an HP PhotoSmart 7150 and Kodak Ultima satin finish paper. You can purchase the printer at Staples for $99.
    Jim Hess Guest

  16. #16

    Hi Barbara,

    Do you know what the specific limitations on the better Epson printers for X are or where I can read about them? Thanks!

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  17. #17

    Hi, Barb. I'll send you some links to posts from unhappy switchers in the print center and preview forum. I hear a lot of whining about the drivers for those printers lately, unfortunately. Pity.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  18. #18

    Barbara, how very kind of you to send me the links, thanks! That is a pity, wonder why Epson can't develop a driver for X that functions to its full potential. I currently have the Epson C-80 and had some problems in the beginning because of a conflict with Classic, it wouldn't print at all with Classic on. Never owning a computer or printer prior to that didn't help matters either. I'm a little better at trouble shooting now. You'd think they'd test these drivers prior to release and make sure they work...I guess we're the beta testers.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  19. #19

    Well, it's really kind of surprising from Epson, because they were THE printer for mac for so long and about the first company to really support X in their drivers. But canon seems to be pulling ahead now. Epson just doesn't seem to want to upgrade their drivers. They got away with blaming apple for a long time, but now that canon does have all the features, like edge to edge printing, that Epson has been saying were impossible due to X, their excuses are sounding kind of thin.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  20. #20

    This response will probably bring the wrath of the Epson diehards down on me rather severely

    Na....I'm glad you bought a printer that works well for you and that the kodak paper does a good job. I do believe most of the companies are getting better at producing 'photo' quality printers. The age of digital photography has become a much more popular past time than it was 5 years ago. The companies are doing there best to produce ' Epson' quality type printers...ha ha ha,,no really though, i'm glad you found quality with your HP...now that they've merged with Compaq I suspect they have more of an advantage to produce quality materials....'hence the saying " if you can't beat them, join them ".
    JodiFrye Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast