Professional Web Applications Themes

Good resource/book to get start with DB2? - IBM DB2

Hi list, I've been working on Oracle and SQL for years, and we'll start support DB2 in the next few months, and I need to get DB2 installed in the next couple of days! It will be installed on a windows box. Can you suggest any good book for me to get started with DB2? Shall I just read IBM's doc first or some other resource is better than that? Since I have all the concepts for RDBMS, all I need is things how DB2 handle things, and the gotchas I need to avoid. Thanks in advance! Elaine...

  1. #1

    Default Good resource/book to get start with DB2?

    Hi list,

    I've been working on Oracle and SQL for years, and we'll start support
    DB2 in the next few months, and I need to get DB2 installed in the
    next couple of days! It will be installed on a windows box.

    Can you suggest any good book for me to get started with DB2? Shall I
    just read IBM's doc first or some other resource is better than that?
    Since I have all the concepts for RDBMS, all I need is things how DB2
    handle things, and the gotchas I need to avoid.

    Thanks in advance!

    Elaine
    elaine Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Good resource/book to get start with DB2?

    "elaine" <care_momhotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:d5200934.0309150702.4ce6566eposting.google.c om...
    > Hi list,
    >
    > I've been working on Oracle and SQL for years, and we'll start support
    > DB2 in the next few months, and I need to get DB2 installed in the
    > next couple of days! It will be installed on a windows box.
    >
    > Can you suggest any good book for me to get started with DB2? Shall I
    > just read IBM's doc first or some other resource is better than that?
    > Since I have all the concepts for RDBMS, all I need is things how DB2
    > handle things, and the gotchas I need to avoid.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Elaine
    In addition to the Installation Guide, I would check out some Redbooks. Here
    is one that you may want to read:

    "DB2 UDB Evaluation Guide for Linux and Windows"
    [url]http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg246934.html?Open[/url]

    This is another good site:
    [url]http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/pubs/[/url]

    Mark A Guest

  3. #3

    [email]care_momhotmail.com[/email] (elaine) wrote in message news:<d5200934.0309150702.4ce6566eposting.google. com>...
    > I've been working on Oracle and SQL for years, and we'll start support
    > DB2 in the next few months, and I need to get DB2 installed in the
    > next couple of days! It will be installed on a windows box.
    Welcome. IBM has excellent doentation for DB2, all available online
    for free.
    Their portal for DB2 V8 doentation is at:
    [url]http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/v8pubs.d2w/en_main[/url]
    or [url]http://tinyurl.com/3se6[/url]

    To best prepare for your upcoming installation, I'd recommend the
    Quick Beginnings guide for DB2 servers, which can be found at
    [url]ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/info/vr8/pdf/letter/db2ise80.pdf[/url]
    or [url]http://tinyurl.com/ngf4[/url]
    > Can you suggest any good book for me to get started with DB2?
    Well, IBM Press (affiliated with Prentice-Hall Professional Technical
    Reference) has a handful of new books out about the latest version of
    DB2. They all have blue and black color scheme, which should make them
    easy to spot at the bookstore or on Amazon.
    >Shall I just read IBM's doc first or some other resource is better
    than that?

    I find IBM's online doc (both the PDF manuals, as well as the
    HTML-based Information Center) to be invaluable. I refer to the online
    doc almost daily, while some of my IBM Press books may not get touched
    for weeks at a time. IBM has also put together some excellent online
    tutorials, specialized technical texts (RedBooks), and programming
    tips (DB2 Developer Domain).
    > Since I have all the concepts for RDBMS, all I need is things how DB2
    > handle things, and the gotchas I need to avoid.
    Make sure you have the latest FixPak installed on your clients and
    your server.
    Immediately increase the size of the buffer pool (database page
    cache), since it defaults to less than 1MB(!) on Windows. Turn on all
    the monitor switches so you can get meaningful performance snapshots.
    At first, try not to get mixed up with more complex areas, such as
    tion, federation, data partitioning, or Java stored procedures.

    Good Luck,

    Fred
    Fred Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Good resource/book to get start with DB2? -- thanks!

    Thanks both! I will check them out for sure!

    BTW -- is this group/forum a moderated one? I can't see my own message
    after I posted for an hour? Is that normal behavior?

    Elaine

    [email]hesbyteleport.com[/email] (Fred) wrote in message news:<bf718bb1.0309151250.24724aeaposting.google. com>...
    > [email]care_momhotmail.com[/email] (elaine) wrote in message news:<d5200934.0309150702.4ce6566eposting.google. com>...
    > > I've been working on Oracle and SQL for years, and we'll start support
    > > DB2 in the next few months, and I need to get DB2 installed in the
    > > next couple of days! It will be installed on a windows box.
    >
    > Welcome. IBM has excellent doentation for DB2, all available online
    > for free.
    > Their portal for DB2 V8 doentation is at:
    > [url]http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/v8pubs.d2w/en_main[/url]
    > or [url]http://tinyurl.com/3se6[/url]
    >
    > To best prepare for your upcoming installation, I'd recommend the
    > Quick Beginnings guide for DB2 servers, which can be found at
    > [url]ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/info/vr8/pdf/letter/db2ise80.pdf[/url]
    > or [url]http://tinyurl.com/ngf4[/url]
    >
    > > Can you suggest any good book for me to get started with DB2?
    >
    > Well, IBM Press (affiliated with Prentice-Hall Professional Technical
    > Reference) has a handful of new books out about the latest version of
    > DB2. They all have blue and black color scheme, which should make them
    > easy to spot at the bookstore or on Amazon.
    >
    > >Shall I just read IBM's doc first or some other resource is better
    > than that?
    >
    > I find IBM's online doc (both the PDF manuals, as well as the
    > HTML-based Information Center) to be invaluable. I refer to the online
    > doc almost daily, while some of my IBM Press books may not get touched
    > for weeks at a time. IBM has also put together some excellent online
    > tutorials, specialized technical texts (RedBooks), and programming
    > tips (DB2 Developer Domain).
    >
    > > Since I have all the concepts for RDBMS, all I need is things how DB2
    > > handle things, and the gotchas I need to avoid.
    > Make sure you have the latest FixPak installed on your clients and
    > your server.
    > Immediately increase the size of the buffer pool (database page
    > cache), since it defaults to less than 1MB(!) on Windows. Turn on all
    > the monitor switches so you can get meaningful performance snapshots.
    > At first, try not to get mixed up with more complex areas, such as
    > tion, federation, data partitioning, or Java stored procedures.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    >
    > Fred
    elaine Guest

  5. #5

    "elaine" <care_momhotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:d5200934.0309171247.48e014d9posting.google.c om...
    > Thanks both! I will check them out for sure!
    >
    > BTW -- is this group/forum a moderated one? I can't see my own message
    > after I posted for an hour? Is that normal behavior?
    >
    > Elaine

    Not moderated. How long it takes depends on your ISP. If you are on Google
    Groups, it takes awhile. You can test at alt.test newsgroup.

    Mark A Guest

  6. #6

    You can find useful db2 links at

    [url]http://dbforums.com/t506495.html[/url]

    Cheers

    Sathyaram

    data/db2/udb/winos2unix/support/v8pubs.d2w/en_main"]http://www-
    [url]http://tinyurl.com/3se6http://tinyurl.com/3se6[/url]

    > To best prepare for your upcoming installation, I'd
    recommend the
    > Quick Beginnings guide for DB2 servers, which can be found at
    > [url]ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/info/vr8/pdf/let-[/url]
    ter/db2ise80.pdf"]ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/info/v-
    [url]http://tinyurl.com/ngf4http://tinyurl.com/ngf4[/url]

    --
    DB2 discussion also at [url]http://www.dbforums.com/f8[/url]

    sathyaram_s Guest

  7. #7

    "Mark A" <maswitchboard.net> wrote in message news:<U_3ab.358$QC1.64409news.uswest.net>...
    > "elaine" <care_momhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:d5200934.0309171247.48e014d9posting.google.c om...
    > > Thanks both! I will check them out for sure!
    > >
    > > BTW -- is this group/forum a moderated one? I can't see my own message
    > > after I posted for an hour? Is that normal behavior?
    > >
    > > Elaine
    > >

    > Not moderated. How long it takes depends on your ISP. If you are on Google
    > Groups, it takes awhile. You can test at alt.test newsgroup.
    Just to add that it usually takes several hours for me to see the
    messages that I post.

    Robert
    Robert Jones Guest

  8. #8

    > Just to add that it usually takes several hours for me to see the
    > messages that I post.
    >
    > Robert
    I see messages almost instantly, but like I said, it depends on your ISP if
    using a newsreader (like Outlook Express). Google groups (using a web
    browser) several hours.

    Mark A Guest