Professional Web Applications Themes

Good terminal emulator, editor, for cutting and pasting - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Dear experts, I'm using Redhat Advanced server 2.1 I hate to have to ask such a dumb question. And I'm not looking to start any religious wars. But of all the things that I do in computers, cutting and pasting is by far the most common thing. I'd like to find two things: - a good terminal emulator - a good editor The main thing that these two apps need to do is to cooperate cutting and pasting. When I copy in one, I can paste into the other. The whole idea is to keep track of -exactly- what I ...

  1. #1

    Default Good terminal emulator, editor, for cutting and pasting

    Dear experts,

    I'm using Redhat Advanced server 2.1

    I hate to have to ask such a dumb question.
    And I'm not looking to start any religious wars.

    But of all the things that I do in computers, cutting
    and pasting is by far the most common thing.

    I'd like to find two things:
    - a good terminal emulator
    - a good editor

    The main thing that these two apps need to do
    is to cooperate cutting and pasting. When I
    copy in one, I can paste into the other. The whole
    idea is to keep track of -exactly- what I did.

    Currently, I'm using
    gedit-0.9.4-6 and
    gnome-terminal-1.4.0.4

    The terminal is the default terminal that is in
    the taskbar.

    The problem with these two is that I can't cut
    and paste between the two. When I block in
    the terminal, it is supposed to copy into the
    clipboard buffer. However, when I go to paste
    into the editor, it only pastes the previous
    thing from the doent. And, I can't copy from
    the doent, into the terminal.

    The other thing that I would like would be to have
    the same hot keys (cntl-c, cntl-v) and menus as is found
    in Windows notepad. I move VERY fast when I type, and
    like to use this convention.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    In comp.os.linux.misc com wrote:
    [..]

    xterm or rxvt

    vi(m)

    [..]

    BTW
    Please reduce cross-posting to a reasonable amount and set a
    "Followup-To:".

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    On 20 Dec 2003 14:24:13 -0800, com <com> wrote:

    If it doesn't have to be a graphical program, and if you are running a
    server it probably doesn't, vi can cut and paste of itself, with ease,
    in visual mode or not.

    For a terminal emulator with cut and paste, once again textmode, screen
    is the cat's meow. I am using it now.

    As for the M$ keybindings? Control-D will log you out, and Control-V
    is used in vi and other apps to include non-printing characters in
    editing scripts.

    vi comes as vi nvi elvis vim and gvim (graphical) and the more recent of
    these, and screen (I believe) include mouse support, although you probably
    would need to install gpm.

    vi has always been capable of cutting and pasting to other files with
    nothing but keybindings.

    You mark the beginning and go to the end and yank what's there into one
    of 26 buffers, appending or over-writing depending on whether you use
    a-z or A-Z.

    You can then send the contents of any buffer to any file you want without
    leaving the current session, and bring the second file up to edit without
    losing the current session if you want, and on and on and on...

    Simple for someone who can type and offers a LOT of flexibility.

    There should be a tutorial for *vi* in /usr/share/doc/nvi or somewhere
    close.

    With screen you can cut and paste between ptys with just simple keybindings.

    A lot of people run screen in an 'xterm' which permits each 'xterm' to
    become functionally a new desktop.

    There's a good tutorial for *vi* in Running Linux, a fine book available
    from OREILLY.

    comp.editors would be a great place to post your question.

    HTH

    AC

    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote:

    An extremely *rude* thing to do! You have no idea how many people
    are reading this in other newsgroups, yet you summarily cut them off
    from all replies???? Bad manners...

    So how is posting to 5 newsgroups considered anything other than
    a "reasonable amount"? And why would the OP want to rudely limit
    others from seeing all of the responses?

    There *is* a time and a place for multiple cross-posting, and
    this post seems to be a perfect application. There *is* a time
    and a place for using a Followup-To: header, and this is *NOT*
    an example.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) com

  5. #5

    com wrote:

    Use xterm.

    Take your pick, either learn vi (vim is a good example) or
    emacs (GNU Emacs or XEmacs).

    Under X, you can do that with the mouse. There are good reasons
    *not* to use keybindings for cut and paste between applications,
    so don't be too upset if that is difficult to accomplish.

    If you are a fast typist, menus are of little value. The trick
    is to figure out which of vi or emacs suits you best. Typically
    vi has modes and emacs does not, and that seems to be one of the
    biggest differences as far as preferences go.

    Be warned that either vi or emacs *requires* climbing a steep
    learning curve. And to be *really* effective they both require
    a lot of personal configuration. Don't spend a few hours with
    either of them and decide it isn't for you. It takes days to
    even get a brief glimpse of how to use either of them
    effectively.

  6. #6

    In comp.os.linux.misc Floyd Davidson <com> wrote: [/ref]

    Rubbish, the ng in question was not valid via my upstream nntp
    server, so it wouldn't have made it through anyway.
     [/ref]

    4 is a reasonable amount, setting a follow-up is just a matter of
    netiquette, the post takes some space on thousands of nntp
    server.

  7. #7

    com wrote:

    man script.
    try kermit (http://kermit.columbia.edu last time I looked)

    One of these should solve your problem. I refuse to talk about editors,
    I been maintaining my own sort-of-emacs smal program for 15 years
    because I want small, fast, and does what I want. Find one you like and
    use it.

    --
    bill davidsen <com>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc

    Bill Guest

  8. #8

    com wrote:
    yes you can - at least it works for me.

    In the terminal, use ctrl+shift+c or ctrl+shift+v for copy and paste.

    Or highlight the text and middle-click.
    Ori Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:24:13 -0800, linuxquestion wrote:

    I do not understand exactly what you mean by "I block in
    the terminal". If you mean "I select", then sure, you
    do not move anything to clipboard by selection.
    Use <shift><ctrl>C or use right-button menu to copy.

    And what are you going to do when you need to enter ^C
    into the terminal?

    -- Pete

    Pete Guest

  10. #10

    We are sort of off topic here.

    As I mentioned, I was hoping to avoid any religious wars.
    Seems there are two here now. One as to how many newsgroups to
    post to. And now one about editors.

    I can use vi. And yes I know that it can cut and paste.
    But I don't like it. (Let's not get into the discussion.)
    I prefer an editor like windows notepad. With menus.
    And control - c and control -v.

    The other question is, which SHELL in Redhat has menus, and uses
    the same cut and paste convention?

  11. #11

    On 20 Dec 2003 22:51:03 -0800, com <com> wrote:

    You can use vi but prefer notepad? And don't know about the common
    *nix editors that are like notepad but superior? That come with
    every Linux distro?
    And aren't posting to comp.editors as advised?

    Troll alert!

    Thread killfiled.

    AC

    Alan Guest

  12. #12

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    On 20 Dec 2003 22:51:03 -0800, com
    <com> wrote:
    A shell with menus? Try mc. For something that cuts and pastes like
    Windows, maybe Notepad under Wine.

    --
    Wow! Look!! A stray meatball!! Let's interview it!
    Bill Guest

  13. #13

    com writes:

    Please don't toppost.

    I think you are looking for "nedit".

    No SHELL that I know of implements cut and paste.
    Shells are things like bash, csh, zsh.

    You are probably asking for a terminal emulator.

    The menus on your system probably lead to a bunch of terminal
    emulators, why don't you try one? I've seen a few with menus,
    but once I see menus, I know that its not for me so I don't know
    much about them.
    Dan Guest

  14. #14

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:24:13 -0800, linuxquestion wrote:

    I do every thing inside Xemacs. Xemacs and emacs have a shell mode which
    is far superior to any ordinary terminal emulator. Anything you can do to
    an emacs buffer you can do to a shell. Also you can have hundreds of
    shells open at the same time without cluttering up your desktop because
    Xemacs makes it simple to organize your shells, you can name them and then
    swtich to them by name, just as you can with any emacs buffer, and they
    are also available under the buffers menu. You can also open rlogin,
    telnet and ssh shells under Xemacs/emacs.

    General Guest

  15. #15

    com wrote:

    gedit and xterm copy and paste works fine on my
    Mandrake/Suse/Fedora/Redhat systems.
    Left click highlight
    Center click paste.
    steve Guest

  16. #16

    com wrote:

    Pick your favorite editor (just test them that you find in your Gnome menu, as
    I guess you are using a graphical interface), then pick any xterm that you
    like to use.

    The cut'n'paste will work (haven't to this day found any incompatible
    software), just put the mouse pointer where you want to start to "cut" and
    press the laft mouse button and pull the pointer where you want to stop, then
    go to your other application, put the point where you want the text to appear
    and press the middle button.

    That should work the same in console mode too.

    //Aho
    J.O. Guest

  17. #17

    com wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Im using Knoppix/Debian with the Icewm window manager

    nedit : http://www.nedit.org, a very powerful, very fast gui editor
    that is
    simple to use. It has CUA keybindings ( aka "windows key
    strokes")

    xterm : As ancient as it is it still supports more keyboard signals
    then
    the two gnome terminals or KDEs konsole. You can also cut
    and
    paste into/out of it. Chances are it is already installed on
    your
    system.

    You will need your mouse to select text in xterm. You will also need
    to use your middle mouse button to paste text with xterm->nedit or
    nedit->xterm. Use ctrl-x or ctrl-c to capture text in xterm. If you
    don't have a 3 button mouse press both mouse buttons at once.
    Steve Guest

  18. #18

    my favorite terminal text editor is 'ne':

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/ne/

    It's like brainless. You hit Esc and then choose a menu item. Has a
    lot of great features, but not too many to overload you. It's not an
    OS or gaming system, so I don't want to break your hearts.
    Google Guest

  19. #19

    On 20 Dec 2003 22:51:03 -0800, com wrote:

    I use joe as my editor. It's smiple to use and understand. It also
    supports cut-n-paste really well. For a term emulator, I use mostly xterm,
    though I also have rxvt on my box. To cut-n-paste, I put the mouse cursor
    over the first letter, push-and-hold left button, drag the cursor to the
    last letter of whatever I want to copy, and release the left button. After
    I've decided where to paste what I've just cut, I move the text cursor to
    the proper spot, and then (regardless of where the mouse cursor is), the
    middle mouse button will cause whatever was hilighted by the cut process to
    be pasted starting there.

    joe (the editor) has a ~/.joerc file that can be edited using any
    editor. One of the options is to highlight the selected parts of text. If
    you're really into manually moving stuff around within any text doent,
    you can do a ^Kb to mark the start and ^Kk to mark the end, then ^Kc (to
    copy the marked block), ^Km (to move the marked block), or ^Ky (to delete
    the marked block).

    --
    net
    Eclectic Garbanzo BBS, (707) 539-1279

    "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
    those who understand binary, and those who don't."

    Jim Guest

  20. #20

    On 2003-12-21, com <com> wrote:

    I can't answer for RH and Gnome, having abandoned them both some time
    ago. Also, I don't know what RH is offering users for it's desktop, these
    days, having heard something to the effect that it's been butchering both
    Gnome and KDE for some sort of RH custom desktop. Anyway, I use
    Slackware and KDE 3.1.

    The latest version of KDE (and previous) has the features you seek.
    KDE not only has your basic Linux style copy-n-paste
    (left-mouse-hold for copy ...middle-mouse-click for paste), but it
    also provides the same Ctrl-c/Ctrl-x/Ctrl-v (copy/cut/paste), with
    multiple clipboard entries, functionality as Windows. Using Konsole,
    KDE's xterm, I can cut-n-paste to and from xwindows to the command
    line interface (CLI). I use jed as my basic CLI editor and am
    constantly c/p'ing from my browser to the CLI. In fact, both the
    Linux c/p and the KDE c/p are separate caches. I can copy something
    to the clipboard w/ Ctrl-c, then cut something else with Linux c/p,
    and it will not overwrite the clipboard. Very handy.

    As for a notepad, KDE's KEdit, one of several KDE editors, is almost
    identical. The only flaw is the wrap toggle. Instead of
    having it in the menus, like notepad, one must open a preferences
    window (configure KEDIT), choose the sub-section (misc.) and choose
    from 3 formating choices. IOW, about 4 mouse-cliks instead of two.
    I think I'll put that little ditty in as a request to KDE.

    One last thing. Pasting to the CLI is not always a pretty thing.
    Cut's from xwindows, say an html page, don't always paste directly
    into the CLI, well. The text lines often p out on a diagonal,
    each succeeding line starting her from the left margin. I get
    around this by pasting, first, to KEdit, then recopying, then pasting
    to the CLI. This works pretty good.

    nb
    notbob Guest