Professional Web Applications Themes

Google Groups v Usenet - Macromedia Flash Player

Does anyone know of a good place to search for Usenet news? I used to use groups.google but that's become more and more corrupt with Google-only and Corporate-posting-only Groups over the past few years. Do a search on "no.flash websites" for example. The first 6+ hits are from Adobe's corporate macromedia "discussion" groups and all appear to be moderated to insure that no flash-critical post goes unchallenged. I'd be surprised if Google didn't receive a fat check from Adobe for ranking this topic in such a corporation-friendly way. I still need an unbiased source to do research. Any recommendations? MHawley...

  1. #1

    Default Google Groups v Usenet

    Does anyone know of a good place to search for Usenet news? I used to
    use groups.google but that's become more and more corrupt with Google-only
    and Corporate-posting-only Groups over the past few years.

    Do a search on "no.flash websites" for example. The first 6+ hits are
    from Adobe's corporate macromedia "discussion" groups and all appear to
    be moderated to insure that no flash-critical post goes unchallenged.
    I'd be surprised if Google didn't receive a fat check from Adobe for
    ranking this topic in such a corporation-friendly way.

    I still need an unbiased source to do research. Any recommendations?

    MHawley
    Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Google Groups v Usenet

    [email]nomailpleasesmyonic.net[/email] wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a good place to search for Usenet news? I used to
    > use groups.google but that's become more and more corrupt with Google-only
    > and Corporate-posting-only Groups over the past few years.
    >
    > Do a search on "no.flash websites" for example. The first 6+ hits are
    > from Adobe's corporate macromedia "discussion" groups and all appear to
    > be moderated to insure that no flash-critical post goes unchallenged.
    > I'd be surprised if Google didn't receive a fat check from Adobe for
    > ranking this topic in such a corporation-friendly way.
    >
    > I still need an unbiased source to do research. Any recommendations?
    >
    > MHawley
    I am sure there are many people out there who would be willing and
    able to create such a thing. Just identify them, send along a Google
    sized budget and allow a few years for development.

    --
    Phil Nelson
    Phil Nelson Guest

  3. #3

    Phil Nelson wrote:

    > I am sure there are many people out there who would be willing and
    > able to create such a thing. Just identify them, send along a Google
    > sized budget and allow a few years for development.
    That's hilarious, Phil. You've gotten straight to the point!

    I have a smaller size USENET archive (in the sig) for a few years now and
    I can tell that it requires enormous amount of upkeep with all the junk
    that gets tossed into Usenet daily.

    As far as the OP's desire to get an unbiased search is concerned: you can
    go ahead and search my archive if you want but please don't expect
    Google's reach and retention. For that you need those small things
    mentioned in Phil's post!

    --
    Cheers,
    Dmitri

    -
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    www.1-script.com Guest

  4. #4

    In ba.internet [url]www.1-script.com[/url] <info_at_1-script_dot_comfoo.com> wrote:
    >Phil Nelson wrote:
    >> I am sure there are many people out there who would be willing and
    >> able to create such a thing. Just identify them, send along a Google
    >> sized budget and allow a few years for development.
    >
    >go ahead and search my archive if you want but please don't expect
    >Google's reach and retention. For that you need those small things
    >mentioned in Phil's post!
    Evidently I should also budget some Microsoft/Google sized bucks for
    astroturfing.

    MHawley
    Guest

  5. #5

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed <nomailpleasesmyonic.net>
    writing in news:45d37f3c$0$14088$742ec2ednews.sonic.net:

    > Does anyone know of a good place to search for Usenet news? I used to
    > use groups.google but that's become more and more corrupt with
    > Google-only and Corporate-posting-only Groups over the past few years.
    >
    > Do a search on "no.flash websites" for example. The first 6+ hits are
    > from Adobe's corporate macromedia "discussion" groups and all appear
    > to be moderated to insure that no flash-critical post goes
    > unchallenged. I'd be surprised if Google didn't receive a fat check
    > from Adobe for ranking this topic in such a corporation-friendly way.
    >
    > I still need an unbiased source to do research. Any recommendations?
    >
    > MHawley
    I still use Google Groups at work because I don't have nntp access at
    work. The groups I frequent are on the list that I can access once I am
    signed in. If I am looking for a particular group, then I drill down to
    the group I want.

    Then there's always nntp through a newsreader, or some other Usenet
    providers, Supernews and Easynews come to mind.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell Guest

  6. #6

    Scripsit [email]nomailpleasesmyonic.net[/email]:
    > Does anyone know of a good place to search for Usenet news?
    By sending to three groups where the question is grossly off-topic and by
    using a probably forged email address, you indicate disrespect for Usenet
    conduct, so it would be immoral to try to help you before you learn to
    behave.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    [url]http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/[/url]

    Jukka K. Korpela Guest

  7. #7

    On 14 Feb 2007 21:29:32 GMT, <nomailpleasesmyonic.net> wrote in
    <45d37f3c$0$14088$742ec2ednews.sonic.net>:
    >Does anyone know of a good place to search for Usenet news? I used to
    >use groups.google but that's become more and more corrupt with Google-only
    >and Corporate-posting-only Groups over the past few years.
    >
    >Do a search on "no.flash websites" for example. The first 6+ hits are
    >from Adobe's corporate macromedia "discussion" groups and all appear to
    >be moderated to insure that no flash-critical post goes unchallenged.
    >I'd be surprised if Google didn't receive a fat check from Adobe for
    >ranking this topic in such a corporation-friendly way.
    >
    >I still need an unbiased source to do research. Any recommendations?
    Use Advanced Search in Google Groups, and specify the relevant Usenet
    newsgroups.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

  8. #8

    Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:13:16 GMT from Adrienne Boswell
    <arbpen>:
    > I still use Google Groups at work because I don't have nntp access at
    > work.
    That must be why I see so few of your articles.

    [url]http://OakRoadSystems.com/[/url]
    HTML 4.01 spec: [url]http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/[/url]
    validator: [url]http://validator.w3.org/[/url]
    CSS 2.1 spec: [url]http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/[/url]
    validator: [url]http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/[/url]
    Why We Won't Help You:
    [url]http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you[/url]
    Stan Brown Guest

  9. #9

    Troll alert. And some more garbage dumped, over and over- you are the
    scurge of of your own complaining. How many times will you write this
    tripe b.s? Get a life.

    Consider this a prompt for your top post rant! Enjoy yet another
    chance to spam the world with your sig...

    spam_only_please@comcast.net Guest

  10. #10

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brownfastmail.fm> wrote in message
    news:MPG.203ec8743ea35b9898a9bbnews.individual.ne t...
    > Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:13:16 GMT from Adrienne Boswell
    > <arbpen>:
    >> I still use Google Groups at work because I don't have nntp access at
    >> work.
    >
    > That must be why I see so few of your articles.
    I apparently missed the memo: Now if you post on Google Groups the post is
    only on Google Groups, and doesn't flow to USENET and to sonic and
    supernews, etc?

    Bob Mgr Guest

  11. #11

    In article <12tpp4ed5epppc2news.supernews.com>,
    Bob Mgr <kilbyfanspammenotAOL.com> wrote:
    >I apparently missed the memo: Now if you post on Google Groups the post is
    >only on Google Groups, and doesn't flow to USENET and to sonic and
    >supernews, etc?
    God do I wish. That would sure cut down on the spam.
    Sadly, they're still polluting Usenet proper.

    -Patti
    --
    Patti Beadles, Oakland, CA |
    pattib~pattib.org |

  12. #12

    Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:32:14 -0800 from Bob Mgr
    <kilbyfanspammenotAOL.com>:

    > "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brownfastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > news:MPG.203ec8743ea35b9898a9bbnews.individual.ne t...
    > > Thu, 15 Feb 2007 02:13:16 GMT from Adrienne Boswell
    > > <arbpen>:
    > >> I still use Google Groups at work because I don't have nntp access at
    > >> work.
    > >
    > > That must be why I see so few of your articles.
    >
    > I apparently missed the memo: Now if you post on Google Groups the post is
    > only on Google Groups, and doesn't flow to USENET and to sonic and
    > supernews, etc?
    No, unfortunately. But many folks have decided that the signal/noise
    ratio from Google Groups posters is so low that in self defense we
    killfile everything from that source. Yes, we miss the occasional
    article from someone worth reading; but if we let Google Groups
    through we'd be so swamped that we'd probably miss it anyway.

    See [url]http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html[/url]

  13. #13

    On 2007-02-22, Stan Brown wrote:
    > No, unfortunately. But many folks have decided that the signal/noise
    > ratio from Google Groups posters is so low that in self defense we
    > killfile everything from that source. Yes, we miss the occasional
    > article from someone worth reading; but if we let Google Groups
    > through we'd be so swamped that we'd probably miss it anyway.
    I don't killfile posts from GG, and I don't see anything
    approaching being "swamped". The problem is nothing like what it
    was a couple of years ago.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson Guest