Professional Web Applications Themes

Google Tracking JavaScript Corruption - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hello, I've installed JavaScripts from Go ogle ysis for tracking of traffic in all 15 templates of a site, using Dreamweaver CS3. The templates and pages which I create using Dreamweaver work fine. The related site editors are adding content to the pages and/or creating new pages using the same templates in Windows Contributor 4.1. Every time an editor creates or opens a page, Contribute flags a number of errors then corrupts the JavaScripts that are locked in the templates. Thereafter, it throws part of the script at the bottom of the page. It looks like this: " ) ) ...

  1. #1

    Default Google Tracking JavaScript Corruption

    Hello,

    I've installed JavaScripts from Go ogle ysis for tracking of traffic in
    all 15 templates of a site, using Dreamweaver CS3. The templates and pages
    which I create using Dreamweaver work fine.

    The related site editors are adding content to the pages and/or creating new
    pages using the same templates in Windows Contributor 4.1. Every time an
    editor creates or opens a page, Contribute flags a number of errors then
    corrupts the JavaScripts that are locked in the templates. Thereafter, it
    throws part of the script at the bottom of the page. It looks like this: " ) )
    ;

    Does anyone have such an experience and if so does any one know of a solution?

    Thanks.
    sgk

    bene Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Google Tracking JavaScript Corruption

    Hi SGK

    CAUTION: I am still waiting for 24hrs to see if the data is being received
    correctly by Google ytics having made these code changes on the website
    pages, so test this out before using.

    Just found the answer to this at Google Groups > Google ytics Help today.

    To quote the post from the forum:

    "Blogger (and most modern HTML tools) enforce a level of XHTML compliance,
    which is more than the Google ytics code complies with (Google messed up
    the ga.js installation instructions), you will need to cut out all the
    HTTM/HTTPS auto-detection including the doent.write and just use the version
    you need (http or https, like so)"

    For HTTP:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google-ytics.com/
    ga.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-X-1");
    pageTracker._initData();
    pageTracker._trackPageview();
    </script>

    For HTTPS:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ssl.google-ytics.com/
    ga.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-X-1");
    pageTracker._initData();
    pageTracker._trackPageview();
    </script>

    ********************

    Another post mentioned that Contribute is converting the 'escaped' characters
    as shown in the example:

    type="text/javascript%3E%3C/script%3E"));

    Contribute alters the code to the literal:

    type="text/javascript/script%3E"));

    So the code doesn't work and ")); lands on the bottom of the page.

    The original urchin.js code doesn't have any such escapes so presumably isn't
    being altered by Contribute in this way.

    This is possibly the same issue of why the new Google ytics code isn't
    working with WordPress Blogger as well but I haven't tested that one out.

    Hope this helps.

    Aly

    PFB_PFB Guest

  3. #3

    There are other fixes as per threads in Google ytics help forum, here is a
    link using the search term "Contribute"

    [url]http://www.google.com/support/googleytics/bin/search.py?query=contribute&Act[/url]
    ion.Search=Search+ytics+Help

    This shows other threads on the topic.

    PFB_PFB Guest

  4. #4

    After 24hrs I confirm the tracking code is good and receiving data. Its a confirmed fix.
    PFB_PFB Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Aly,

    Thank you very much indeed for your help. I appreciate it.

    sgk
    bene Guest