Professional Web Applications Themes

Gradient gaps rears its ugly head again - Macromedia Freehand

From the previous topics I searched for on the subject of gapping between gradient bands, I have yet to read an explanation that says why this happens. My issue specifically is that often gradients exported to EPS then run through Distiller to make PDFs exhibit gaps between gradient bands. These gaps actually print and are noticeable on the final output (whether that be on-screen, offset press or newsprint). What I don't is understand why this is happening. I can have a doent that has 2 identical gradients inside a rectangle (one created by copying the other) and one will gap ...

  1. #1

    Default Gradient gaps rears its ugly head again

    From the previous topics I searched for on the subject of gapping between
    gradient bands, I have yet to read an explanation that says why this happens.
    My issue specifically is that often gradients exported to EPS then run through
    Distiller to make PDFs exhibit gaps between gradient bands. These gaps actually
    print and are noticeable on the final output (whether that be on-screen, offset
    press or newsprint). What I don't is understand why this is happening. I can
    have a doent that has 2 identical gradients inside a rectangle (one created
    by copying the other) and one will gap and one will not. Sometimes if I create
    a gradient, then do not edit it, the gapping will not occur. Also I have
    noticed that I can take a gradient that is exporting with gaps, modify it only
    slightly in FH, and the banding dissappears in the EPS and PDF output! Since
    there seems to be no rhyme or reason for this to happen, I can only assume it's
    a program bug. Can anyone confirm this?

    lozza Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gradient gaps rears its ugly head again

    to create an .eps save it as a freehand .eps instead of exporting. There is
    better control of type and gradients in adobe programs this way. Take your
    freehand .eps and drag it into distiller or adobe illustrator. In distiller you
    can change it to a .pdf filtering it different ways, i.e. screen, press etc.
    This can also make a difference in the quality of your pdf.

    Prepress Guest

  3. #3

    http://www.bedfordAds.com/downloads/gradient_gaps.jpg The above file was
    created by saving the doent as an editable EPS then rasterizing in
    Photoshop: 25inches square at 200dpi. Notice that the gaps are not everywhere
    in the gradient, suggesting a coding problem in calculating the change of the
    FH gradient into Vector shapes in the EPS. Thanks for the suggestion, Pam, but
    it looks like that doesn't fix the problem :(

    lozza Guest

  4. #4

    FH produces gradient steps that abut, not overlap. When Adobe products are
    set to anti-aliase, they blur edges of the steps to background color (or
    transparent).

    Turn off anti-aliasing when you open the EPS in Photoshop. You can always
    blur later if you need smoother edges.

    Likewise, turn of anti-aliased preview in Acrobat.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Perhaps that multiple fill capability might come in handy after all. I can't reproduce this behavior, but maybe if you try two copies of the gradient fill in the object, and offset the center of the lower one by with width of the gap or more, than the anti-alias will blend to that instead of the white background. Just a suggestion, since I can't try it myself.

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:25:11 -0700, Judy Arndt <ca> wrote:

    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

    Likewise, turn of anti-aliased preview in Acrobat.

    If only it was just on-screen, though. It prints like this, too.
    lozza Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the suggestion, Bill. That sounds like it may work. Another FHMX hoop to jump through :) Are you using a PC or a Mac (having the problem in OSX am I)?
    lozza Guest

  8. #8

    lozza wrote:

    Are you printing an EPS directly to a Postscript printer, or are you
    printing the after another program has rasterized it? If you place the
    EPS in a FH doent or a page layout program (e.g. InDesign or
    QuarkExpress) do you see the gaps when printing to a Postscript printer?

    Judy Arndt
    Judy Guest

  9. #9

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User lozza wrote: > If only it was just
    on-screen, though. It prints like this, too. Are you printing an EPS directly
    to a Postscript printer, or are you printing the after another program has
    rasterized it? If you place the EPS in a FH doent or a page layout program
    (e.g. InDesign or QuarkExpress) do you see the gaps when printing to a
    Postscript printer? Judy Arndt Judy, I'm just exporting to EPS from
    FreeHand, then creating a print-ready PDF from Distiller, then printing the
    PDF. It prints with bands on our Minolta copier/RIP and on the offset press of
    our direct mail company. The worst case was on a doorhanger for a client. The
    exact same gradient was on both sides (copy/paste or more likely copied the
    page with the page move tool), and one side printed all the ugly gaps (This is
    what leads me to believe it's some sort of FHMX glitch ). I didn't zoom in
    close enough in Acrobat to discover the problem or print a full-size final from
    the PDF. Fortunately, the client was oblivious! Anyway, PDF is the final
    output, but I can also see the gaps in Illustrator when opening the original
    EPS or distilled PDF. The gaps are also inconsistent - they often appear only
    in certain parts of the gradient. Many times I have no problem with the
    gradients. Also, I am aware that if you zoom in close enough you will always
    see a small gap (or at least it appears so on-screen) between bands, but these
    are larger ones that show up in the final output. Weird.

    lozza Guest

  10. #10

    I am using a PC. I have seen inexplicable banding in rasterized gradients, but I have not seen the background-color striping that you are experiencing.

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 04:15:16 +0000 (UTC), lozza <com> wrote:

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

  11. #11

    lozza wrote:

    What is the width (in points) of the gaps you're seeing? The only gaps I
    have seen in gradients exported from FH are in the range of 0.02 point, less
    than one tenth of a hairline stroke. On a traditional press with wet ink,
    ink spread would more than take care of any gaps.

    Is the RIP a Postscript RIP? It sounds like Acrobat is sending an
    anti-aliased view to the Minolta copier, and that's why you're seeing the
    gaps. Try this when printing from Acrobat and see if it helps. Uncheck:

    Preferences > Smoothing > Smooth line art

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  12. #12

    I have this problem to , with a specific Logo i have created.

    What I do whem it starts to apear : I place a new Original of the Logo and it
    works.

    But if it not work , I put all things on a new Doent an "voil?" (copy and
    paste)

    Mac os X (10.3.8) Distiller / Acrobat 6.0 / Lintronic PPD

    I think the problem is the diferent way adobe products work with the
    gradients, its look familiar whith the .ai export of gradient object (every
    body knows what happens)

    ps. try to fix in 256 steps the post script output

    ps2. the little gaps not apear in high resolution outputs , but the big ones

    LSA from Brasil

    KV_man_73 Guest

  13. #13

    Originally posted by: KV_man_73 I have this problem to , with a specific Logo i
    have created. What I do whem it starts to apear : I place a new Original of
    the Logo and it works. But if it not work , I put all things on a new Doent
    an 'voil?' (copy and paste) Mac os X (10.3.8) Distiller / Acrobat 6.0 /
    Lintronic PPD I think the problem is the diferent way adobe products work with
    the gradients, its look familiar whith the .ai export of gradient object (every
    body knows what happens) ps. try to fix in 256 steps the post script output
    ps2. the little gaps not apear in high resolution outputs , but the big ones
    ...... LSA from Brasil Thanks. There are other bugs like this in FHMX that
    can be fixed by simply duplicating your object (or cut/paste). I can usually
    fix the problem by altering the gradient only slightly (moving a color stop,
    etc.). It's just a pain to have to check every gradient in Acrobat at high
    magnification for these odd gaps. Especially problematic are gradients that
    span large areas (15-25 inches). These larger-than-normal gaps are not always
    visible when zoomed at 100-200% in Acrobat, but are very noticeable when the
    output comes back from the press.

    lozza Guest

  14. #14

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User lozza wrote: > Judy, I'm just exporting
    to EPS from > FreeHand, then creating a print-ready PDF from Distiller, then
    printing the > PDF. It prints with bands on our Minolta copier/RIP and on the
    offset press of > our direct mail company. What is the width (in points) of
    the gaps you're seeing? The only gaps I have seen in gradients exported from FH
    are in the range of 0.02 point, less than one tenth of a hairline stroke. On a
    traditional press with wet ink, ink spread would more than take care of any
    gaps. Is the RIP a Postscript RIP? It sounds like Acrobat is sending an
    anti-aliased view to the Minolta copier, and that's why you're seeing the gaps.
    Try this when printing from Acrobat and see if it helps. Uncheck: Preferences
    between bands you get when zoomed into a gradient (when viewed as PDF in
    Acrobat or EPS in Illustrator) at maximum magnification. Those gaps don't print
    and have been a part of the FH-to-Illustrator-and-back round trip that we've
    had for years. These gaps are not uniform in size to every band (and do not
    appear on every band) and can be seen well before maximum Acrobat
    magnification. Take a look at the screen-shot of a rasterized FHMX EPS I posted
    as it's exactly what happens in Distiller and Illustrator when viewing FHMX
    exported gradients (for me) - I'm sure you'll see that this is not the normal
    gaps we know are always there.

    lozza Guest