Professional Web Applications Themes

Gradient Grumbles and Less - Macromedia Freehand

With the new gradient tool in FreeHand MX I can now do the same thing in 6 steps that I used to do in 1 step in FreeHand 9. It is especially frustrating when the gradient info has been copied as an Attribute which is then pasted to another object. The results are totally unexpected and unintuitive and may even take more than 6 steps to correct. Similarly, when I want to change the color of a grouped object (especially when it is surrounded by and overlapping other objects so that the direct select tool cannot marquee the object whose ...

  1. #1

    Default Gradient Grumbles and Less

    With the new gradient tool in FreeHand MX I can now do the same thing in 6
    steps that I used to do in 1 step in FreeHand 9. It is especially frustrating
    when the gradient info has been copied as an Attribute which is then pasted to
    another object. The results are totally unexpected and unintuitive and may even
    take more than 6 steps to correct.

    Similarly, when I want to change the color of a grouped object (especially
    when it is surrounded by and overlapping other objects so that the direct
    select tool cannot marquee the object whose color I want to change) I have to
    take additional steps to achieve the desired result, when in FreeHand 9 it took
    one step.

    Such facts have inspired me to conceive of a new upgrade strategy that
    Macromedia may consider. It would be to offer two or more different versions:
    One being "stripped down" to the functionality of FreeHand 9 (but native to Mac
    OS X). This would be the MORE COSTLY version. Then, for every feature added or
    changed the price would be correspondingly reduced. The full-bloat bersome
    thing that would result if the latest trends continue would be sold at reduced
    cost. Why? Because it would be harder to sell. Since I still prefer FreeHand
    over Illustrator, I would be so happy to pay MORE for a streamlined version of
    the program so I could return to the efficiency I had when I used FreeHand 9 in
    Mac OS 9.

    Stoonroon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gradient Grumbles and Less

    I like your idea a *lot*. A while back I communicated to Macromedia that
    what would inspire me to upgrade FH from my current version 8 would be if
    they were to release a version with the clean functionality of 8, but with
    the bugs fixed and with JET's list of no-nonsense, truly *useful*
    improvements implemented. Now *that* would be a piece of software. And I
    wouldn't even complain that I had to pay full retail for it (well, not much
    anyway).

    Bill Schuhle

    > Such facts have inspired me to conceive of a new upgrade strategy that
    > Macromedia may consider. It would be to offer two or more different
    versions:
    > One being "stripped down" to the functionality of FreeHand 9 (but native
    to Mac
    > OS X). This would be the MORE COSTLY version. Then, for every feature
    added or
    > changed the price would be correspondingly reduced. The full-bloat
    bersome
    > thing that would result if the latest trends continue would be sold at
    reduced
    > cost. Why? Because it would be harder to sell. Since I still prefer
    FreeHand
    > over Illustrator, I would be so happy to pay MORE for a streamlined
    version of
    > the program so I could return to the efficiency I had when I used FreeHand
    9 in
    > Mac OS 9.

    Bill Schuhle Guest