Professional Web Applications Themes

Gradient transparency on a brush stroke - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hello, Is it possible to apply a gradient transparency to a brush stroke. Basically I want to take any brush stroke, from any library, and have the stroke transition from opaque at the beginning of the stroke to transparent at the end. The stroke has no fill, I'm trying to apply the gradient transparency directy to the U direction of the stroke path. Is this possible? Joey...

  1. #1

    Default Gradient transparency on a brush stroke

    Joey_Ponthieux@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gradient transparency on a brush stroke

    * Draw a rectangle: width=140 pt, height=60 pt
    * Fill it with a black to white gradient
    * Object > Expand: Specify: 300 objects
    * Ctrl+Alt+7 to release the clipping path that was created while expanding the gradient
    * Brushes Palette: New Art Brush: Name the new brush *Transparent Maker*
    * Art Brush options: Stroke direction from left to right

    * Draw a meander stroke and apply any brush you like
    * Ctrl+C/Ctrl+F to copy and paste in front
    * Apply the Transparent Maker to the front brush
    * If necessary modify the Transparent Maker brush weight, it must completely overlap the other brush
    * Select both brush strokes
    * Transparency Palette menu: Make opacity mask
    * Transparency Palette: Check the Clip and Invert mask option

    It could also be done with envelopes built of a gradient, an outlined stroke and the Envelope distort Make with top object command making sure that the Distort linear gradients option is checked in the envelope options dialog. But this method may be disappointing sometimes because propper gradient distorts cannot be guaranteed in all cases.

    PS:
    If this is for professional print, ask a prepress man if there are any doubts. Depending on how long the brush is, there might be problems.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Kurt,

    Thanks for the reply. I figured this would be complicated. I have had a little luck with opacity asks, but they can be difficult to implement unless the stroke path is either straight or a shallow curve. Unfortunately I'm trying to apply this on a circular shape. It's too bad that the brush pallette doesnt have the ability to apply an alpha channel to the brush reference which could accept a simple gradient ramp(or even another image) which would be applied directly to the brush to control opacity. Maybe some day.

    Thanks

  4. #4

    Joey--
    Very much off topic, but thought you might be interested in an old postcard of Ponthieux Automobiles in Paris I came across on EBay

    <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20254&item=2262588 447&rd=1>
    Terry_Parkinson@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Terry,

    :) thanks for that! Very cool.

  6. #6

    It's still a good world. Complex transparancy troubles are finally solved by a nice french postcard. Wonderful.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest